It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many Christmas Trees are killed globally each year- hundreds of millions?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
When we lived in Alabama we would buy Christmas trees with the root balls so we could plant them in the yard. It was environmentally friendly.

Now that we live in the city outside of Philadelphia, we have a Sears prelit tree that is beautiful. It goes up every year and then back in the attic until the next year. We only light it up on Christmas eve and Christmas day so we aren't burning a bunch of energy with it.

Those live trees that people buy and then discard a few weeks later are filled with bugs and ticks and mold. They are also, at times, fire hazards. They make a mess as they die and the needles fall off. I wouldn't want one in my home. Nope. No way.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with choosing trees from tree farms. The only problem is they put them out on the market too early, and I am furious that the whole lot is out by end of November with needles falling off and/or extremely dry by christmas.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
They are killing off all the best looking trees for Christmas. People want good looking trees, so the ugly trees are left in the bush to breed.
Eventually, there will be no good looking trees left.

(tongue in cheek theory)

In the spirit of the season, I killed a tree.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Beartracker16
They are killing off all the best looking trees for Christmas. People want good looking trees, so the ugly trees are left in the bush to breed.
Eventually, there will be no good looking trees left.

(tongue in cheek theory)

In the spirit of the season, I killed a tree.

yes the ugly trees will take over and force us all to stare at them.

i do not use live trees, except for the few seasons we bought root balled trees and planted them later, now we use a fake one.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

I wonder how many tree's would be saved if the ''Enlightened People'' of this world never went out bought them year after year.

Strange!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
A friend of mine has his Christmas tree in the garden. By that I mean it's planted in a container that keeps its roots and size in check and each Xmas, he digs it up, brings it in and they decorate it.

When Xmas is done, he takes it back outside and re-plants until next year.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

We use a fake one in my house - I too don't like the idea of cutting down a tree merely for celebration. Seems odd.

link   

As a trucker, I've been to numerous Christmas tree farms and assisted in the shipping of those trees.

Bottom line is those trees were planted for the express purpose of being harvested.

That harvested "crop" will be replaced with another batch of seedlings. Those tree would never have been planted if there wasn't a market for them and some other "crop" would have been utilized...probably landscape shrubbery etc.

The point being is the trees "killed' wouldn't have even existed if there was no market for them.

link   

As a trucker, I've been to numerous Christmas tree farms and assisted in the shipping of those trees.

Bottom line is those trees were planted for the express purpose of being harvested.

That harvested "crop" will be replaced with another batch of seedlings. Those tree would never have been planted if there wasn't a market for them and some other "crop" would have been utilized...probably landscape shrubbery etc.

The point being is the trees "killed' wouldn't have even existed if there was no market for them.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I'd prefer living trees if I bothered with trees any more at all.

However, I have no great beef with the tree industry. They help the air while they are growing before harvest. They provide jobs and they provide the Boy Scouts with income used for good purposes.

In some places they are chipped and used as mulch when the season is over.

There are more important things to take up . . . a cause . . . about.

Before too long, the globalists will have crashed everything down around most everyone's ears the world over . . . Christmas trees will be an early thing to fall off the priority list as groveling for meager food becomes the extreme priority . . . those left alive after WW3 etc . . .

The Christmas tree custom will be largely left in the dust; so you'll get your wish on that score. However, at enormous cost in suffering as an adjunct aspect of life then.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
How they are dealt with after they're tossed to the curb is up to your city bylaws. Aren't they recycled into compost?

I'm just not seeing how they are causing deforestation, when they're grown specifically to be used as such.

No different than flowers being grown for valentines day.

I'm not so sure though that all who have tree farms are in need of money to feed their families. The guy I know who has a tree farm, is a wealthy dentist who had extra land, so he started growing them to make even more money. He lives on a mountain, cleared the land to build his property, which was forested.

If anything it's the wealthy wanting their views of the valley that are clearing the forests. There's far more trees torn down for housing than for Xmas time .

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I wonder if there is another bush/tree that "we" could substitute the Yew for? hmmm.. It would have to be more useful than just hanging bulbs off of? Maybe if this unk. bush/tree could also be used for wood pulp, fuel oil and maybe even medicinal. Man I'd make a mint!, but it couldn't BE mint..

I'll be thinking on a tree/bush, a substitute/avatar. Don't the "lights in trees" actually have their roots in a pagan holiday?

namaste

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

How many Christmas Trees are killed globally each year- hundreds of millions?

When one is young, the smell of the tree is very special and there is no identification to the concept of a lifeform being basically killed for one's pleasure.

Kind of odd because I never really gave it much thought until I got to about age 50... then, for some reason, I wanted nothing to do with freshly cut Christmas trees. It was like a tidal change... and how it happened I can't say. I am not a weed and nut feaster... I love cooking over open fires and bringing my ribs/meats to perfection. I eat meat.

But... something inside clicked over.

Our tree has since been artificial or potted.

I dunno.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join