It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subversion of the Underground Culture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Man, I'm telling you. The government has subverted the entire underground movement from one pretty bad ideology that might have worked to a really bad ideology that definitely won't work.

Welcome to my theory. It is wrong.

The Underground Movement was subverted in the early '70s from one pre-dominant ideology, namely "we fight oppression with more oppression" to another, intrinsically more harmful ideology, "we fight oppression by joining the winning side".
Hip Hop culture, arguably THE music of the underground.... er, sorry, not any more. WAS the music of the underground, was a way of battling the old style of underground ideology (for example, '80s punk rock) with the ideology of "we fight oppression through compassion", then, of course, was a different time, with different problems. Young blacks were growing up in single parent homes, usually the mother, which gave a lot of the hip hop artists of then...usually a more feminine, thus more creative side. Hip hop kept changing, all one has to do is listen to Run DMC and MC Hammer, switch to the '90s, Wu-Tang with their raw style and engaging lyrics, switch to the Hip Hop of the '00s, glorifying the fame and supposed fortunes to be found in Hip Hop...and now, as we move to this new era in music, especially in the production sense, we are being musically indoctrinated into this rather thought provoking ideology, especially in Hip Hop (or rap, whateva) that in order to fight oppression, joining the winning side is the best and easiest way to do it.
Why do I think that?
Well, for one, I think I need to explain how I interpret and listen to music.
If you heard somebody telling you in a conversation for example "I figured out I went the wrong route, so I got with a sick ass clique and went all out" you wouldn't remember the words the next hour, let alone the next day. Someone puts it in a song (Wu-Tang Banga) and all of a sudden, not only do you remember it, but so do other people, and now, this simple message is heard all across the globe. Spoken words are important, but put music behind it, and all of a sudden you have a message that will be heard and interpreted in a multitude of ways.
So, now if we listen to the 'mainstream underground' music of todays hip hop, it's easy to see that hip hop, if not the entirety of the music industry is being subverted from ideology to ideology... and we are falling for it, because we don't know any better.
I use hip hop as the prime example because that is basically the music of modern oppression. Without the government there would probably not even exist such a thing as hip hop, because it is the governments fault that so many black youth were raised in single parent families due to their fathers being imprisoned, killed, or you know, sometimes daddy just doesn't wanna stick around.

That's my theory.
It's wrong.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

3OGRE3

Welcome to my theory. It is wrong.

My theory....

Here's my theory and it's a fact Jack!

There are rooms filled with A&R geeks planning and scheming the next fad; in fact the counterculture
is manufactured for the sole purpose of making production houses money. The counterculture starts in some board room furnished with glass and chrome by men in their 50s, not in the ghetto.
If the geeks in their wisdom decided that the next expression of angst and rebellion would be for the youth to paint their ass green and glue chicken feathers to their faces; it would be promoted thru the media, social media, print, TV and you would see it on the street in a heart beat.

Bikers, hipsters, goths, hiphoppers, hippies, cowboys, survivalists, military wanna be's, etc., somewhere down the line, some promoters of all these groups are selling all the accoutrements to decorate the particular lifestyle. Complete with music, fashion, lip plugs, and all the other BS that it takes to make you hip, unique and accepted by your particular group you have glommed on to.

Follow the money. Lifestyle is an industry.

Perhaps the govt. is involved in cultural manipulation. You might be right!!!

Anyone know where I can get a good wholesale deal on chicken feathers?

edit on 28-11-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I think it's pretty obvious that there are lots of smoke and mirrors in the entertainment industry... but, for some reason, the artists in the industry and the industry moguls never get along very well... this fractured relationship kind of bothers me because if you want someone to perpetuate the message you want, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a good relationship with the perpetuators?

dunno

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

3OGRE3
I think it's pretty obvious that there are lots of smoke and mirrors in the entertainment industry... but, for some reason, the artists in the industry and the industry moguls never get along very well... this fractured relationship kind of bothers me because if you want someone to perpetuate the message you want, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a good relationship with the perpetuators?

dunno

I work for film/TV/web production companies as well as have a small co. of my own. I seldom agree with the aesthetics, scripting, directing, etc of most of the projects I work on, but as paid crew/talent, I keep my mouth shut and cash the checks.

On my own productions; true, I sometimes have an adversarial relationship with talent but either they follow direction or GTFO. Perhaps that's why some artists that have money or can find venture capital, start their own labels, production co's. I think that's healthy in the entertainment industry; competition usually shakes out the flakes and BS artists. It really is all about the money from my perspective...If their is an underlying message of social conscientiousness, perhaps I'm not hip enough to recognize it.

If you ever want to join us in creating content....

start here....and good luck!!

www.celtx.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well to be honest I'm a musician so I can relate to the music industry in specific, but of course all media entertainment can be portrayed similarly in the minds eye.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

3OGRE3
Well to be honest I'm a musician so I can relate to the music industry in specific, but of course all media entertainment can be portrayed similarly in the minds eye.

Besides being a SAG/AFTRA actor, I too am a musician. You can see me playing gut bucket in this movie to be released in 2014.

www.imdb.com...

top topics

join