It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3d artists on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Hi all just wondering if there are any 3d artists on ATS and thought I'd start a thread for us to share our work, if so.

I'm currently a student so my work isn't that great but maybe I can get the ball rolling and other 3d artists can post some of their work to the thread.

Guess I'll start.

Alien spider woman thing that I started in Zbrush. Used Zbrush and maya and eventually textured, rigged, weighted, and animated her. Still sort of working on her:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

walk cycle of said alien:

Star wars droid that I modeled and rigged and did a walk cycle for. I didn't want to give him a standard walk cycle and tried to make him walk like a pimp:

I have some other stuff too that I might upload later. If you have 3d art to share, post it here

edit on 28-11-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The alien spider model is extremely impressive, the amount of detail in the model is stunning. Don't underestimate yourself, for a student the quality is amazing. I wish I had the skills to make 3D models and textures because I would love to create my own mods for Fallout and The Elder Scrolls games. But I don't have the time to learn all the skills necessary unfortunately. But your models are definitely of a quality which would be expected in any decent user-made Fallout or TeS mod.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I dabble in zbrush a bit, never came up with anything that good yet. My tablet doesn't play well with zbrush for some reason. Insert mesh brushes and dynamesh really made things interesting. So many ways to start from "scratch" now instead of having to do a lowpoly base mesh in another program and then bring it in to sculpt on.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

TKDRL
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I dabble in zbrush a bit, never came up with anything that good yet. My tablet doesn't play well with zbrush for some reason. Insert mesh brushes and dynamesh really made things interesting. So many ways to start from "scratch" now instead of having to do a lowpoly base mesh in another program and then bring it in to sculpt on.

I found that work flow to be counter intuitive and produce bad results for me personally. Everybody has their own prefered methods of course, but for whatever reason I seem to get better results by starting in z-brush and doing a high poly sculpt, and then retopologizing it to bring into other apps for mid to low poly versions (which is how I did the spider thing).

I tried starting models in maya/3ds and then sculpting on it in zbrush after and I found that my normal maps and textures seemed to have a lot of artifacts/tearing for some reason.

Can sort of see what I mean here where the model didn't really work out as well:

As for tablets I recently bought one and haven't tried it with zbrush yet. So far I've just been using a mouse and keyboard for everything so it will be interesting to try doing things differently.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

ChaoticOrder
The alien spider model is extremely impressive, the amount of detail in the model is stunning. Don't underestimate yourself, for a student the quality is amazing. I wish I had the skills to make 3D models and textures because I would love to create my own mods for Fallout and The Elder Scrolls games. But I don't have the time to learn all the skills necessary unfortunately. But your models are definitely of a quality which would be expected in any decent user-made Fallout or TeS mod.

Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately I've spent a lot of time looking at professional portfolios as I'm hoping to one day make a living doing this stuff, so I know I have a LONG ways to go lol

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I used to do 3D artwork but haven't in a while because I got depressed and lost a hard drive lol

Nice walk cycle! I will check back later and re-read what you work with. I cut my teeth on Bryce then Vue and Poser.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
This is very nice work you have here I can only say for myself that I am glad you shared it with us on ATS, I would love to see more of your work as you can freely post when you want id check it out

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I suppose I engage in a little bit of monkey business every now and then...

Yep, I'm getting into Blender now, and the updates have made it a lot easier to figure out than a couple years back. Yet I'm not doing anything too fancy, since I can't really dedicate the amount of time to it that I'd like to. (And even when I have free time, I have to be in the right mindset to get going.) I think my favorite aspect is the Cycles render engine, although rigging and almost automatic UV mapping are pretty sweet too. I wouldn't mind doing more animation, but it still takes too long to make it look good. (At least on my hardware and with my amount of patience.)

Also I've been doing 3D for a couple of years. I know or have known Anim8or, Bryce, Wings3D, Carrara, and Sculptris... So I'm not totally new at it. I also tend to mostly do mechanical modeling more than most of the other stuff. I wouldn't be too surprised if I ran into you or know you from some other website's forums, but perhaps under a different nickname.

And if anyone is interested in Wings3D or Blender stuff, I happen to have the ability to stream stuff live on YouTube via the Google Groups app or whatever that thing is called. (I don't think every account has that feature enabled.) I may not be the most pro in some aspects (still more of an enthusiast than anything else), but I figure I may know enough by now to help others get started. Also you'd have some opportunities to stump me with questions or see me goof up which might be entertaining in their own right.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
No new posts since last time? I don't have anything contagious people can catch over the internet, do I?

Anyhow, I figure I'd show this video of some automated action animation rig I made. Surprisingly, I got it to work. The video showing the process is a bit long, so if you only want to see what it does you can skip to near the end.

It's kind of cool for what it is, yet I don't have any ideas for an animation that uses it just yet.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

Blender is a pretty capable program, I dig that it's free too. It's render engine wasn't up to par(I had a duocore cpu and a gt610 when I switched to maya, so cycles sucked lol), so I switched over to maya. I been meaning to grab the latest blender build and see how much it has improved, haven't gotten around to it yet though, now that I got a gtx 660, I been wanting to see how cycles does with that one.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hi pauljs75 nice to see you in here! I started out in Rhinoceros and Poser, but work mostly in Hexagon and DAZStudio now. Rhino is great for things you will not need to animate because you cannot arrange the topology of the mesh since you are working in NURBS. I like doing animation more than character creation and specialize in UV Mapping.

edit on 4-6-2014 by groingrinder because: Edited for spelling.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Are traditional filmmakers considered 3D artists?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: pauljs75

Awesome! I totally didn't even realize other people had replied. Must have gotten buried under the mountain of threads I'm subscribed to.

I tried blender YEARS ago. I think it was in 2000 or 2001. I didn't stick with it though and ended up picking up Maya and 3ds max. From the looks of it, blender has come a long way since then! Thanks for sharing your stuff

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: groingrinder

You specialize in UV mapping? For which applications? I HATE UV mapping lol... Maybe we could work something out for next semester? lol j/k I should probably learn to like it

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Are traditional filmmakers considered 3D artists?

3d artists do work a lot in traditional film these days.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Zbrush does a pretty bangup job UV Mapping, if you set up the polygroups beforehand. Maya UV MApping seems to be a huge hassle to me, always end up getting too frustrated with it.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Sorry if I was late to responding, I am a 3D artist, Lightwave3D and Modo (some Maya when I really wanna bash my head in) I do work for Paramount/CBS and of course my own projects. My latest bit of work will be on display in August when the Trek Ships of the Line Calendar comes out, both January and February are my shots.. (Jan is a nice overhead of the NX Class refit and Feb is the refit chasing two Xindi patrol ships)

- J

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: vkey08

Nice!

You must be awesome ^_^

Feel free to post screenshots here too of your work if you like.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Short time fooling in Zbrush, i only will show this as its in "idea mode atm " i have not published it and i would not like to be recognized here hah.
My tools are Zbrush, Cinema3D, Maya, Modo, 3D-coat and for UV mapping i use UVlayout ( even better than Zbrush mapping IMO ) I model, uvmap, and rig and of course make textures .. when you get soaked into 3D eventually you find that you want to master all tasks.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka
I like the embossed designs on it

My latest project, trying to learn nhair in maya to make the mane and tail on the unicorn lol.
edit on Sat, 10 May 2014 09:37:27 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join