It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese boy, 11, chained up like a dog by his own family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I Post this in PEOPLE board because this is about people but no living being should be treated this way.

This is so sad and disgusting it makes me angry

Unfortunatly there are much more and even worse situations around the world

The problem is today we see this kind of news and tomorrow we forget. This sure is Hell on Earth.

An 11-year-old boy is chained up like a dog by his own family in a shocking example of how mental disorders are dealt with in rural China.

He Zili has been pictured walking along the narrow lanes of his village shackled to his father, who did not want to be named, in the eastern coastal province of Zhejiang.

The boy was also seen chained to a pillar at his home.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Oh goodness... I don't know why, but in all my researching and learning about China, especially for it's sheer scale and size relating to population? THIS area of scale never even crossed my mind.

Zili is currently being looked after by his physically disabled grandfather and his intellectually handicapped father after his mother died of cancer.

Statistics released this year by China's National Center for Mental Health showed that as of the year of 2009, 100 million Chinese suffered from mental health problems with more than 160 million citizens afflicted with serious mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and paranoid psychosis.
(Op Link)

That's numerically equal to 50% of the U.S. population as a whole on that last one.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Sadly it wasnt that long ago or own culture "professionally" dealt with these issues just as barbarically.
If Im not mistaken they still practice things like electro shock therapy in the west today.

Its disgusting how this poor child has had to live but this isnt just a Chinese.

I recall seeing something like this happening in Romania in the past few years, I also recall a story from the US about a family that kept a mentally handicapped child in a cage in an attic.

Sick stuff

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The question then becomes...WHY? That's approximately a tenth of China's population. That's an outrageous figure in any population. Of course, I'm taking the diagnosis at face value, which is a variable to be considered.

In 2009, the Ministry of Health’s Center for Statistics Information reported that China had a total of nearly 19 million psychiatric patients. Still, there are only 637 psychiatric hospitals and only 88,117 health professionals trained to provide care.

In an essay published in Foreign Policy, in January 2011, Wan Yanhai, a medical doctor and advocate for HIV/AIDS prevention in China, criticized China’s conflicted approach to mental health care, and the dangers it can cause.

“I have seen people sent to mental hospitals for being gay, for domestic disputes and for political dissent,” he wrote.

“Many whose lives could be improved will never receive medical attention, and many who don’t need it are held in confinement in the name of medicine.”

Source
Just as I suspected. Who knows how many of those diagnosed, even have anything wrong with them.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

The Mental Health system and care for those who often search for it before really losing it in life and becoming a problem/burden to others is one of those real shameful aspects of what America has evolved into over the years. I look very specifically back to Reagans deconstruction of the Mental Health system by his policies at the opening of the 80's for it, too. In terms of most important moment for where things could have been different? That would be it.

Electro-Shock therapy is evil. No two ways about it. Prior to trucking, I did computer consulting stuff where I could and one of the jobs was for a couple working Capital murder case defense/mitigation. They happened to be doing transcription and listening to hours of interviews about/from the guy relating to his years of shock therapy in the 60's. It's one of those things I'll never forget and just can't forgive anyone who'd be a part of it. it's Medieval. It's what they would have done in the Middle Ages if they'd had electricity.

BTW.. I found a great report on mental illness in the US, and we have found a way to deal with it. Oh, it's dealt with very directly, you could say. Exactly the wrong way, and producing even worse on the other side, I'm sure. Many thousands of times a year, every year.

Mental Health Problems of Prison and Jail Inmates

The Government is good at stats, if nothing else. The bottom line out of that seems a 10-20% core number of what we'd all agree in terming true mental illness. Delusions, Hallucinations or outright breaks with reality as we'd know it.

Not too far off the Chinese, on a vastly different scale...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hand full of people treat children like animals in a population of 2,000,000,000.

Verdict?

Their culture is bad.

new topics

top topics

join