It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. and Iran will open joint Chamber of Commerce

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
U.S. and Iran will open joint Chamber of Commerce ???

This must have something to do with the recent *agreements* made with Iran.

Some kind of 'direct flights' from Iran - New York too ?

Is this story accurate ?

Iran and the United States are to establish a joint chamber of commerce within a month, with direct flights also planned, an Iranian official said Wednesday in a newspaper report.

“Iran-US chamber of commerce will be launched in less than one month,” Abolfazl Hejazi, a member of Iran’s Chamber of Commerce, Industries, Mines and Agriculture, told the English-language Iran Daily.

In the wake of a historic accord on Sunday between Tehran and major powers on Iran’s controversial nuclear programme, Hejazi also said his country was ready to start direct flights to the United States.

U.S. and Iran will open joint Chamber of Commerce

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Dear xuenchen,

Is there no good news in the world? Is our present administration doing anything useful in foreign policy? I know people make mistakes, and I can adjust for that, but doesn't something have to work right sometime?

I don't think prepping makes much sense anymore, but I was never interested in it anyway. I think I'll just stay inconspicuous in my little town and hope that I can live out my life, voting, typing, and staying small.

We've come a long way in a short time. We used to look for, and find, opportunities. Now, we devise hiding strategies.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

If true, nothing but good will come of this.

It's long past time that irrational fear was placed aside and direct commerce between our nations was allowed to flourish.

Perhaps someone will be along to tell me why it's wrong to think this way, but I see it as a positive step.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

I can see an immediate and direct benefit to Iran. What do you see as the benefit to the United States?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

charles1952

I can see an immediate and direct benefit to Iran. What do you see as the benefit to the United States?

You mean besides the oil and natural gas reserves right? Iran also has other mineral wealth that a lot of companies here in the states would love to get their hands on.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

charles1952

Besides open commerce with a resource-rich nation populated by young, progressive-thinking people?

Creating an ally from a powerful nation that was once thought of as a mortal enemy?

I have trouble seeing the downside, respectfully.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I'm still left wondering why we might be doing business with a country sponsoring terrorism and holding Americans hostage without addressing those issues. It just appears that those in charge of this country could care less or aren't concerned one bit. I suppose new agreements could be good if the issues that concern the people are addressed.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Does the Chamber of Commerce deal with oil and mineral reserves? I wouldn't have thought so, but I'm not sure. If it does, don't we have more than enough reserves from other sources (including domestic)?

And what would the insurance premium be on an American oil well in Iran, 100% of the value of the installation? I would think it would be a snap target for a couple of suicide truck bombers who were still shouting "Death to America."

I just can't see the benefit yet. Maybe with more information?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
The downside to this is that if we keep buddying up to Iran, Israel is liable to go nuts. Saudi Arabia is already starting to get pretty angry, and while the Saudis are denying it, I do firmly believe the rumors that they've started talking about military cooperation with Israel in the event of Israel striking Iran.

I'm not really siding with one or the other. I'm just saying that for Western powers, especially the U.S., there really are no good options in all of this.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

AnIntellectualRedneck
The downside to this is that if we keep buddying up to Iran, Israel is liable to go nuts. Saudi Arabia is already starting to get pretty angry, and while the Saudis are denying it, I do firmly believe the rumors that they've started talking about military cooperation with Israel in the event of Israel striking Iran.

I'm not really siding with one or the other. I'm just saying that for Western powers, especially the U.S., there really are no good options in all of this.

You make a good point, but it leads one to wonder whether or not our support of these nations is really for the benefit of all, or just to the benefit of those nations themselves.

And whatever it is they may be holding over our heads...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
So our President is turning an enemy into a friend, and idiots are complaining? lol Wow, it's like people want this country to fail, want us to drive our economy into the ground with more wars, and want constant drama.

Any of you rocket scientists in this forum ever heard the "keep your friends close, and keep your enemies CLOSER"?

Grow a brain, I get tired of reading these empty-headed responses in here.

I know plenty of Persian people that now live in the States, they are young, progressive, and peaceful. The future is in REPAIRING and BUILDING together. This is a good thing. WAKE THE PHUK UP.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Holding Americans hostage?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

9/11 was supposedly a Saudi/Israel collaboration....so this is unsurprising.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Actually, I think it's a case of 'Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer'.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

LightAssassin
reply to post by orionthehunter

Holding Americans hostage?

Must be referring to the US Embassy hostages. Of course, the fact that the US and UK Governments funded and planned the overthrow of the democratically elected Iranian PM, then installed the Shah and supported him through years of brutality and disappearances of any opposition and dissenters, means nothing and is not important. The US and UK caused the problems in Iran in the first place, simply because they had the audacity to nationalize their oil industry, locking out the big oil corporations. Ignoring the historical context of the troubles and simply blaming one party for it all is a little short sighted and dishonest, but when did that ever stop those who only want war and "revenge" for some perceived hurt!

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Ahhh, you ruined it....I was waiting for their response.

I wholly agree and proclaim everything you said to be truth.

In 30 years we'll be reading wiki about how NATO staged the 'Arab Spring' to overthrow the respective governments via proxy ways coining the term 'armed revolution'.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well, Valerie Jarrett's influence is very strong, it seems.

I wondered how, if ever, we'd see peace with Iran pushed at ANY price. I guess we didn't have to wait too long, since the secret talks selling out the US side entirely have been going on for awhile now.

This is how we solve problems these days eh? Got illegal immigration? No..we don't. We just make everyone legal and it's solved! Got a problem with another nation? Well, try getting support for war first....and we tried that. Didn't work.. So, next step? Undercut and back stab our allies to pull a Chamberlain and achieve peace at any price.

(applause) Congrats to our foreign policy team. It takes real effort to set us back over 30 years, by so few actions taken in total secrecy and against US interests. Yes, the work they put into this alone says a lot. Aside from the fact we obviously don't give a damn what any ally thinks or cares, even when matters are in THEIR back yard, and not ours.

Way to go.... We won't be trusted in international relations again for a generation or two. I thought Carter did serious damage....but hell, at least Carter had sincere intentions, in my view.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Dear VariableConstant,

Thanks for offering new ideas for me to consider, but I need a bit more of an explanation.

A "Progressive-thinking people?" What do you mean by that? I went to Freedom House, a group that has been rating the countries of the world on their level of various freedoms for decades. They use a seven point scale in which 1 is the most free, and 7 is the least free. Iran rates a 6. Here's is the summary paragraph to their report on Iran:

The Iranian government continued to curtail political freedoms and violate civil liberties in 2012, imposing particularly harsh conditions on journalists, civic activists, human rights defenders, women, and minorities. The authorities stepped up restrictions on the internet and suppressed demonstrations related to the worsening economic situation. The UN special rapporteur on Iran was again denied access to the country during the year, and leading opposition figures remained in detention. The tightly controlled March parliamentary elections amounted to a contest between rival factions within the conservative leadership.

www.freedomhouse.org...

Perhaps you mean that "progressive" means the reduction of freedom? Wait, isn't Obama considered a "progressive" president? Ah, I think I see what you mean.

Creating an ally from a powerful nation that was once thought of as a mortal enemy?
Do you believe that opening a Chamber of Commerce will make Iran an ally? It will be the end of the "Death to America" mobs? And even if the overt hatred stops, what projects will we collaborate on, the destruction of Israel? The spread of Sharia?

There are too many unanswered questions for me to see a clear benefit for the US. Perhaps if you would be so kind as to explain?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

xuenchen
U.S. and Iran will open joint Chamber of Commerce ???

This must have something to do with the recent *agreements* made with Iran.

Some kind of 'direct flights' from Iran - New York too ?

I typed an entire thought but it bombed when it was time to post so it must wasn't meant to be read!

To make a long story short I said, I'd be leery of traveling to Iran as a US citizen, would I be treated with open arms, or as a potential spy? Trading with Iran can do nothing but help both countries and form a better relationship again.

I also said this is similar to the thawing in the cold relationship between the US and China and look at it now. It's a complicated relationship, but much better than it was. I'm sure people were resistant to being friendly with China as they are right now with Iran.

Who is next Cuba? That is long overdue, but I'm afraid that's different due to immigration concerns.

A condensed version of what I tried to post earlier.
edit on 28-11-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hmm..

You know, I've been thinking. Maybe Iran has managed to convince Washington it's ready to play ball and become the next puppet dictatorship in the Middle East.

I can't imagine what else would prompt such a 360 in policy and rhetoric from both sides. Something has happened we aren't privy to it seems.

~Tenth

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join