It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I started off the holidays right!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
My oldest son is actually my stepson. I married his mom when he was 2, his father died in a car wreck less than a year later, and he has been mine virtually his whole life.

We have encouraged him to keep contact with his paternal family, but they are traditional catholics and judge him for everything he does. Since he is gay, you can imagine that he interacts with them very little.

Now grandpa is dying from Crones Disease. He has had half a dozen surgeries i the last 20 years, and is about to the end of this path. So the son is going to see them for the holiday. To achieve this, I met his grandmother in Junction, TX today (7 hours roundtrip for me) so she could take him to San Antonio. I pick him up Saturday, same time....same place.

When we got to the McDonalds in Junction, his grandmother came out to greet us with his uncles newest wife. We made small talk, and she asked about the jobs for my wife and I. Told her about my job, thena bout the wifes. She used to work with my wife back in the 90's, when the state had "cadillac insurance".

This is when our conversation hit a snag. Since I don't really like her judgemental ass, i have to choke my way through conversations (you can imagine she hates me for no reason other than I raised her grandson, and he is gay). She said, "Well, at least the insurance out there is good." To which I replied, "Not any more. Premiums have doubled in the last 3 years and our deductible is around $8k now (when it was $0 a decade ago). We can thank OBamacare for that."

She was feeling brave, and replied with, "Hey...i like my Obama"

My head spun. I wasn't sure what to say. Did she just defend Barack Obama to me? Like, make a point to defend him in the midst of our fairly light conversation? She followed up with, "Everyone is just too hard on him".

I was mostly a good boy. Well, ok....maybe not completely. All I could say is, "Well, not all of us can pay attention to what happens in this country to create an informed opinion." Both my sons were mortified. The oldest because I bit back a little, the youngest because she had just defended Obamacare.

So needless to say, on Saturday i will wear my "Annoy a liberal, buy a gun" t-shirt for our pickup back in Junction. Should be fun.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

"Everyone is just too hard on him"

Uh puhleeze, spare me....we ain't hard enough on him now.

Hope your [step]son doesn't get into a 'political' debate her, hee-hee, she may not know what to think!!

Maybe wear a gun shirt that says "It's better to have one and not need it, then need it and not have one" with a picture of an AR15, go big.
Or really get her going with an 'Impeach Obama' shirt.....naw, that would be too bratty.
But yeah, wear some thing good when you pick him up.

All jokes aside, hope your son enjoys himself as best he can.
And I wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

Take care and warmest wishes~
snarky

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Back at ya.

A coworker if mine said it best: be thankful for your family, save a little for God, and pray for your liberty.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Ummm. I am sorry to burst your bubble but Obama is not the reason that insurances are getting so expensive. It is because of the raising cost of technology that the prices are getting higher. It is because businesses everywhere are requiring their workers to have doctors slips when they miss work. Schools are implying parents must take their kids to the doctor as soon as they get a little cough. This whirlwind of activity is causing the premiums to skyrocket or the deductible to raise. Add to that the number of people getting cancer and the policy the government had that no person can be refused emergency services. The cost of recouping the hospitals losses is tacked as a surcharge on the insurance charges of the other patients. This means part of your policy cost is to cover those who couldn't pay their hospital bills.

This was going on a lot before Obama took over.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

rickymouse
Ummm. I am sorry to burst your bubble but Obama is not the reason that insurances are getting so expensive. It is because of the raising cost of technology that the prices are getting higher. It is because businesses everywhere are requiring their workers to have doctors slips when they miss work. Schools are implying parents must take their kids to the doctor as soon as they get a little cough. This whirlwind of activity is causing the premiums to skyrocket or the deductible to raise. Add to that the number of people getting cancer and the policy the government had that no person can be refused emergency services. The cost of recouping the hospitals losses is tacked as a surcharge on the insurance charges of the other patients. This means part of your policy cost is to cover those who couldn't pay their hospital bills.

This was going on a lot before Obama took over.

It was, to a degree.

In 2010 we had a conference call with our "middle man" that handles the annual insurance policy negotiations. They warned that Obamacare would cause a tripling of premiums over the next 5 years. We are 4 years past, and it is in the double to triple range, depending on who you are.

Yes, what you mention (along with a few other factors) degraded coverages. But Obamacare's effect took growth that was slightly ahead of inflation and double/tripled it in 4 years. Add to this the increased copays and deductibles....

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Here's a good reply when people say such things:
"And therein lies your great failing."

I love that retort! It can be used quite often.

Happy Thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

ColeYounger

Here's a good reply when people say such things:
"And therein lies your great failing."

I love that retort! It can be used quite often.

Happy Thanksgiving!

My friend, you have just given me the gift that keeps on giving. Thank you! LOL

top topics

join