It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google is NOT your friend!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
We have all had it before, we go on a sports forum, or news forum, and we ask about something, and a helpful samaritan gives us that dreaded one line `google is your friend`.

Excuse me, google is not our friend..

Its obsession, and i must add its compulsive disorder obession with forcing google plus on you every time you log into youtube, with it constantly asking `do you want to use your real name` and you say no, and it asks you again and again and again.. what part of NO! do you not get google.

They want the entire world to be google.. you know google cars, google health google food that is the way the world is going.

So the next time somebody says `google is your friend`.. well, for reasons of terms and conditions, i will not state here what your reply should be, but i think you get the drift.
edit on 27-11-2013 by mlifeoutthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
In the situations you are referring to... the term "Google" is being used (abused) as a generic noun, not a proper noun. The saying has nothing to do with Google itself being a consumer rights friendly corporation or not.

RTFM - Encouraging the use of at least a basic search

Google Is Your Friend

Similar to how someone can "Photoshop" an image or use a "Kleenex" without owning either of those products.
edit on 27-11-2013 by BardingTheBard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mlifeoutthere

I couldn't agree more.

Well said, and well put.
While Google is a useful tool, it should by no means be a trusted compatriot. Google is that dude you know who has an endless knowledge of useless information, but there is something about them that leaves you a bad taste in your mouth. That something that says: This person is wrong, and should not be trusted.

I know because I am that person and understand the predicament other people find themselves in. Use Google, but never trust it, it is tainted.

Beware!
edit on 27-11-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

mlifeoutthere
Excuse me, google is not our friend..

You do realize that "Google is your friend" is just being used as a snarky comment and is not actually implying that Google is your friend right?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I think you have been around long enough to know the difference. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what the OP is talking about.

That only leaves the possibility that you are intentionally knit picking. Whatever the reasons, you know what you are doing and it is not helping. So please stop.

Either state a valid reason why the OP is wrong or why you agree. But don't fall to the way of the purposefully contrary person. it doesn't suit you.
edit on 27-11-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

watchitburn
reply to post by opethPA

I think you have been around long enough to know the difference. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what the OP is talking about.

If the OP wants to complain about Google spreading its tentacles everywhere that is one thing but when using a clearly well known saying it's easy to lose the context of what was meant.

edit on 2013pAmerica/Chicago3004ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 2013pAmerica/Chicago3004ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Googles company Calico IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

They want to extend the Human life by another 100 years....and no doubt that privilege would go to the elite.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
No, Google is not your friend.

Google is naught but the largest grab of personal data
in the history of mankind.

We're no talking about ONE country--Google is GLOBAL.

Their ability to (voluntarily) gather information and
disseminate information (in the form of first page hits
of a user's Google searches) is MASSIVE.

Google can lead you gently to the pages of information
that TPTB want to to see. They can "create" your opinion
for you, and make you believe you have done the
research for yourself.

And like I said...they can do this on a global scale.

...in agreement with the OP---I am WAY tired of
having to answer the "Would you like to use your REAL name?"
question to view my youtube channel. I keep telling
myself...just one more time and I am deleting my
account. I wonder if it will be as hard as deleting
my Facebook account was.

And BTW WOULD YOU LIKE TO SHARE ON FB OR TWITTER?
NO!...HELL NO!

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

You must have a really hard time walking through the mall with all that electronic stuff spying on you all the time.

Google is great and it allows people to get information they never could in the past. I'd say its made people a lot more smarter simply because of the ease in which they find out information about any subject whatsoever. When I use if for school projects I find all kinds of related material that I never would have known about if I were simply looking through one book at a time.

Fantastic tool in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

...all that electronic stuff spying on you all the time.

The mall doesn't bother me a bit.

I kind of expect a retailer to videotape his store.

What bothers me is the uncontrolled spying on of every free
citizen in the US and UK.

What bothers me is the naivety and the offhand
C'est la vie attitude of the uninformed when I tell them
that their smartphone tracks them in real time 24/7.

When I tell them that their smartphone data can and will be
used in a court of law (millions of requests per year for
smart phone data by law enforcement. Or when I tell
them that their phone's camera and mic can be accessed
without their knowledge....and even when I tell them
that "I" could buy a program for less than a hundred
dollars, ask to use their cell for a minute, make a
cal, and LEGALLY access EVERY BIT of data that runs thru
that little "electronic" instrument remotely without their
knowledge.

And this is just one example on one piece of electronic
equipment.

You and I are being spied on and manipulated on a
massive scale.

I simply choose to be aware of it. I'd rather not bury
my head in the sand and "wake-up" in an Orwellian state
the rub my eyes and say "What happened?"

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

And this bothers you I take it?

Last I heard, they still have to take you through the court system to do anything to you so unless your doing something your not supposed to than what are you worried about?

I have made a social contract with the government, by simply staying in this country, where I expect them to do things and for that I expect to give up some freedoms.

I demand that they provide an environment where I do not have to worry about children being blown up if I take them into the mall. I'm not asking I'm demanding.

When I take kids to school I do not expect to have to dodge gun battles raging on the streets during my drive. If they feel its necessary to spy in order to provide what I demand than so be it.

If they need to pay a guy 40k a year to listen to me talking to a friend about how to make a pineapple upside-down cake than I will send that man a cup of coffee.

Times change, technology changes, and the ways to harm my family changes with it. I expect the government will have to change their methods to deal with that threat.

I'm sorry your so paranoid but unless your one of "them" your probably not a high interest target for anyone.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What bothers me is the pervasive attitude of entitlement
and lack of personal responsibility.

I choose to want to govern myself. To take responsibility
for myself and my safety.

I do not choose to demand others do it for me.

But this thread is about Google.

A company that has the ability and infrastructure
to control and manipulate ALL electronic media
on a never-before-seen scale. And the fact that some
people, most people, hell...nearly all people
embrace it without a thought to the consequence.
Without the slightest bit of foresight...

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

rival
What bothers me is the pervasive attitude of entitlement
and lack of personal responsibility.

I choose to want to govern myself. To take responsibility
for myself and my safety.

I do not choose to demand others do it for me.

But this thread is about Google.

A company that has the ability and infrastructure
to control and manipulate ALL electronic media
on a never-before-seen scale. And the fact that some
people, most people, hell...nearly all people
embrace it without a thought to the consequence.
Without the slightest bit of foresight...

Its probably because most people recognize that its not a problem.

People made the same argument your making every time something on a massive scale happens. You really don't hold a candle to the people who were complaining about government of the Netherlands required all vehicles have a permanent recorded national license plate.

End of the world there according to some.

Same thing when the telegraph was invented...oh brother, the governments going to be listening in to all our communications now.

Same with the phone, television...you name it.

Now its Google and tomorrow it will be something else.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Spookybelle
I demand that they provide an environment where I do not have to worry about children being blown up if I take them into the mall. I'm not asking I'm demanding.

I'm sorry your so paranoid but unless your one of "them" your probably not a high interest target for anyone.

You subtly mock people for being concerned about abuse of power by government/corporations... yet suggest your paranoia of being blown up at a mall is rational and requires whatever apparatus the government comes up with to ensure you feel better.

Some people believe your postings here are genuine... you personally carry the effect you have on them on your shoulders. Best to you.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Just by the title alone I can tell you don't own an Android device, let alone know what an Android device is. Google has a large suite of services beyond what you think you know they offer. This entire Google Plus integration has been going on long before Youtube. They integrated Google Plus with Hangouts (their messenger application), they integrated Google Plus into the Google Play Store (their smartphone OS application and media market), they integrated Google Plus into Play Games (their Android gaming platform), and it goes on.

I'm gonna assume all of this is new to you because you made this thread. Google is simply organizing their services and user profiles so that your information and alias are connected through their large suite of services. But hey, bring on the conspiracies if that makes you sleep better at night.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

watchitburn
reply to post by opethPA

That only leaves the possibility that you are intentionally knit picking.

That would be "nit" picking not "knit" picking.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Oh yeah? Well let me google that for you...

I think you miss the point of the annoying term however. it's not actually to refer to google as your friend. It is to refer to it as your source of information when you are asking something that google would readily provide you.

Like when someone comes on ATS and says "Guys, I think I'm having a heart attack. What should I do?" when the obvious thing is Go to a doctor.

So when joe bloggs goes onto a football forum and says "Guys I just installed ubuntu, how can I change the screen resolution?" someone will inevitably say "Uhh google is your friend. how the frying duck are we supposed to know."

Besides, google is your stalker. google is your records management system that springs up on you. google is your internet history. google is your password keeper. google is your wallet. google is your life.

but it certainly is not your friend. It will kick you out of the party house as soon as you say "Google, are you perving at me in the toilet?" and then it will keep the photos.

The only sort of friends who do that are the ones who masturbate after you've left.

edit on 27-11-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

FidelityMusic
Google is simply organizing their services and user profiles so that your information and alias are connected through their large suite of services. But hey, bring on the conspiracies if that makes you sleep better at night.

It is possible to provide a useful service while still having ulterior motives. Whether those motives are voluntary or forced upon the service in secret is irrelevant.

In fact being a useful service is preferred. Just as some hunters prefer deer to eat at their conveniently placed and easy to reach corn.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
PS. I Love Google.

I want to friend it on facebook.

*waves to google*

..... sold my soul cant get it back want to restart life but the devil has my soul..

edit on 27-11-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I think the question here is what was the original intention when google was created?

Was it to link and supply information to us or were there more malicious motives?

I would guess both. Certainly both scenarios exist and we're stuck with them. I, for one, always use an alias as a game I play just to ****** up TPTB. On the other hand, I can't for the world think of why they would want to collect info on little ol' me??

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join