It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

review of "The Hunger Games...Catching Fire"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This could have been a great movie if the interaction between characters didn't seem so contrived and "acted"
The script/story was adequate for this type of film as was the direction. Technology CGI and sfx have really come a long way so that the sets and locations don't look cheezy but absolutely real. Jennifer Lawrence was the only believable character. What a fantastic talent. There were a few glaring continuity issues.

This isn't a must see on the big scree but you will enjoy it...

Thanks SAG/AFTRA

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I took a few friends out to see the first one, and we all felt it was a waste of cinema money. I paid for them all and i felt like i had paid to have us all tortured.

I have no intentions of seeing the second and your review makes me sure that my money should remain in my pocket for this one

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The problem was that they were acting like they were acting to like eachother. It seems they did a good job if you are complaining about it!
I liked it but I also read the book so my brain filled in any plot holes, but I found myself explaining somethings to the wife. She enjoyed it.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Sequels always lose the sparkle that the first had. 'Course, if they change too much from the original, they get condemned for that. As for as the stilted dialogue, it was pretty Star Wars-like. I appreciate the parallels with current times. However, never having seen a single entire episode of Lost, or Survivor, I came away with the feeling that in last part of the movie, "out in the woods," I had witnessed a near-clone of such shows with a twinge or two from Deliverance.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Seriously? Am I the only one who thought it was outstanding?. For one the special effects were perfect, unlike 'those' special effects that look so real but seem so fake (if you get me). I'm really open minded about everything so yeah, there could of been a tad more action and included more 'futuristic' things in the film like the arena. A circle beach? Could of done something far better. I couldn't get into Harry Potter, Twilight or any other of these films where everybody raved over and became osessed but this almost brings me there. I'm finally a fan of a film!

ANYWAY, the thing that draws me Into films is when they portray human kind living differently (typically worse and in fear) than what we do in reality, and how it could become possible for the world to turn out like this. Wait for the technology to catch up (maybe its already there) whack out a new world order and bam. The hunger games is real.

Just like the film Surrogates, iRobot etc.

It's fun to play with how us humans COULD live day in day out.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordanliam

no. you're not the only one.

I am a rather stiff critic of art in general. I was worried at the beginning, reintroducing the characters and narrating plot gaps and so forth. but I found the story compelling and I was surprised at the success of taking the audience back in for another round in the games arena.

equally good as the first, if not better.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Jordanliam
Seriously? Am I the only one who thought it was outstanding?.

No, I also thought it was outstanding. That Jennifer Lawrence is my new favorite actor. She is amazing. The range of emotion she can portray is...amazing. The plot was good, the story moved along well, the character development was good, even the ending was good.

Damn, what a good movie.

Did I mention that Jennifer Lawrence is amazing?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

tgidkp
equally good as the first, if not better.

Better, it was definitely better. The first was very good. But this one was great.

The underlying plotline should also sit well with most of the folks on this board.

Oh, and Jennifer Lawrence...amazing.
edit on 28-11-2013 by Bakatono because: (no reason given)

ETA, did you also know she is the hot blue shape shifting woman in the last and the new X-Men?

edit on 28-11-2013 by Bakatono because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I read all three books and I've been looking forward to the movies.

I think the movies are doing the books justice.
(and that doesn't always happen)

I would have cast a different person to play Peeta.
Josh Hutcherson is a fine actor, but he doesn't fit with Katniss

I don't understand why the author named the two lead male actors the way she did.
Peeta? Gale? Not exactly manly-men names. (my opinion).

I'm looking forward to the next two movies in the series.
Jodi Foster is my favorite actress.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Yeah well that's a huge thing when making a sequel. You watch a Fantastic film and fall in love with it, its like human nature, you don't want it to change, you like things the way they are (if that makes sense? Meh). To be honest, when I saw the trailer I thought "hmmm, I hope its not just like a different version of the first, and how will they put them back in there?". Especially with the director from the first (I think) refusing to work on Catching fire (he thought the release date was too soon as to making such a big film in short time) I doubted it hugley and have experienced sequels to flop MAJORLY.

but it was equally good, if not better! THE ENDING THOUGH.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I honestly think the 2nd movie is better than the first one. I haven't read the books, but I thought the end of the first movie was quite predictable, while I didn't expect the end of the 2nd one at all. I'm sure I will go watch the third when it comes out.

top topics

join