It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks, America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
We know, as a nation we're not perfect. We have evident scars from self-inflicted wounds. We have freshly incurred bruises that have yet to heal. And one way or another, they will. For better or worse, we will go on. We're Americans and we'll find a way. It's what makes us the greatest nation on earth. And for this, we should all be thankful we are fortunate to live here.

For all our faults, with all our blemishes, there is no other country that still maintains the promise, the hope, that if we try we can make something of ourselves. Yes, there are times when the differences may seem overwhelming. When it seems though we are trudging forward at a pace that can be daunting, for still far too many, but there's hope. We are Americans. After all is said and done, this is the greatest gift known to man, in the greatest nation of earth.

If proof were needed of this remarkable reality, there are people who will risk it all, their very lives, to come to our shores. To have even the smallest chance that they too can share in our promise, our bounty.... then partake of this....

Yesterday more than 120 Haitians were rescued at sea, trying to come here, to reach for a piece of America. When they left Haiti on a home-made raft, their numbers were more than 200. They were crammed to the stern with little more than the meager, tattered clothes on their backs. Hanging on to whatever was there to try and realize the dream of freedom, hope and a better life.

They never made it. They spent 8 days at sea in the freezing water and with 60 mph winds battering their makeshift boat. With sharks ripping at the legs of those who couldn't get all of themselves aboard and 10 foot waves tearing at their rickety craft, there was not one single life jacket among them. Almost half of them lost their lives before the Coast Guard spotted them and began the harrowing rescue of survivors.

Only able to navigate halfway to our golden shores, knowing they had but to touch the sand of any part of America to be able to stay, they tried, alas in vain. But they gave it all they had, in hope of getting to our America. The failure to make it all the way, promised to return them to their homeland without ever casting eyes on what we take for granted every day of our blessed lives.

Those 120 human beings will be returned to Haiti. But I can virtually guarantee you, they will try again. The failed attempt, the loss of family and belongings, will only strengthen their 'do it or die' mission to come to our homeland for a chance at what we have. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. We do have much to be thankful for, we're Americans.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

be4ne1
there is no other country that still maintains the promise, the hope, that if we try we can make something of ourselves.

Except Demark, Norway, Sweden, Canada, Finland, Norway abd Denmark have far higher entrepreneurship and social molbility rankings.

So no, Other countrey DO hold the same promise.

Your "American Dream" died about 11/09/2011.

If you going to go all RAR RAR chest beating MERIKA MERIKA at least get your facts right

edit on 27-11-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by be4ne1

Thank you so much for your post. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I know our country has many problems, but like you, I can look around. I see how people risk their lives to come here.

Thank you veterans and all hard working americans who keep us all moving toward "a more perfect union".

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

This is our celebration and country. If you don't have uplifting comments, bug out. I am a democrat and like social programs but not Nordic style. We will solve our problems that will fit our country. Just like any good family, the arguing and theorizing will be messy, but we will get there. You just sit back and watch.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I've never understood the whole "Thank you" to your country. We're all human beings, we should unite not divide ourselves due to stupid pride that makes no sense what so ever.

I don't see any policies favoring you of late and yet you still thank your country? For what? an education you paid for? for an average job? Global wars? mass consumerism or perhaps it was the credit and the "head-start" your banks gave you? What exactly has your country done for you that you did not pay for?

WIth that said, why don't you thank your friends and family and all the people you really care about. You should be proud as a person, due to character and what you've accomplished, not citizenship. All this BS talk just leads to more unnecessary tensions.

Heck I move where the living standards are most favorable.

Edit: In before anyone tells me I'm anti-American, don't bother I love everyone! Equality to all!
edit on 27-11-2013 by DeadSnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

MOMof3 You just sit back and watch.

O Im watching alright.....watching how your goverment is about to pull the USA and the Western word down a hole of unpaid debt and poverty

But hey you wave your flag and pretend its all going to be alright

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It's great to give thanks for what you have, no matter how seemingly insignificant it may seem to others, but the arrogance of stating "We're the best!" when everyone, from the individual, through small communities and all the way up to internation communities has their "best" qualities (America has lots of "worsts" as well) is what is destroying our world.

It's good to be proud of your roots, but your nationalism is frightening!

Happy thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I glad my folks decided to take the boat to Canada instead of America.

It's what makes us the greatest nation on earth

Past Tense.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
What "Amerika" hasn't seemed to realise yet is that it is living with a global community.

Regardless of what your constipation says (oops... I meant constitution... I always get those two mixed up... and I'm a US citizen), the US seems to be hobbled by a piece of paper... it's as bad as following a bunch of words in a book written thousands of years ago.

The US is just another country among many, and it really needs to get off its high horse.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Wow! Lots of dissenting comments here, and I'm sorry to see that. If nothing else, in my "deluded" sense of patriotism and perhaps a seemingly over zealous love of my birth country, I really wanted not much more than to enhance the spirit of the season for all-- just an uplift in a time I perceive it's truly needed. I neglected to take into consideration the hatred so many harbor, for so many things. I apologize for grandstanding for my country if it upsets so many. But I wont apologize for loving it. Furthermore, I am NOT among those who have an over-abundance of riches... hardly. However I honestly believe the opportunity still exists.

And to those who feel their country is equally blessed, create a thread and shout it out. Again, Happy Thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I recognize jealousy when I see it. I have never traveled beyond the US borders and never had an idea we were so hated. Like a beautiful woman is hated by an ugly woman.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

Jealous of what exactly?

Maybe you SHOULD travel to other countries before putting Murica on pedestal. Have you visited countries like Japan, Sweden? or you get world information from Fox?

Its ok keep drinking the "we are best country, Free country" and other bs. In reality, many other countries are in far better state and better for a human to live in.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by be4ne1

No its not the hate for the country, its the hate for the delusion that US is somewhat still best and other countries are crap. In reality it is not even among top 5 regarding, health, and average lifestyle.

Its like a Rapper telling a poet that he is better because he is famous.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

MOMof3, while somewhat disappointed in these vitriolic replies, I can understand them to a degree. America has indeed been at the forefront of many dastardly issues, public and secret. However those things were not by and large committed by our citizens. Because some of our leaders have lead us into things completely un-American, the people in America can not be blamed for all of it anymore than the people of, say No. Korea, can be blamed for what their government does.

The power and influence of a country's citizens is often over-estimated. "Well, you elected those leaders!".. many will shout. Yes, (but technically, not always, i.e. George W. Bush) we did. And we did on the best information we thought we had at hand. Since time immemorial, virtually all countries citizens have been bamboozled and wrongly influenced by a variety of factors from within. However, this can not be a reason to take away the sincere intent of it's citizens to do the right thing. The love and admiration I have for my America is based on the strength of our people. We are a good people and honestly believe in our hearts all the people of the world should be blessed with opportunity, a safe place to live and most of all, hope. I never said we were perfect. But from my vantage point, as a citizen with every good intention I can muster, America is still the best place to be in today's world. And to those who disagree, that is your prerogative, and with no ill intent I reserve the same privilege for myself.

When those who have a serious grudge against America want to disagree, simply take a look at the people of your own country. Are they personally to blame for whatever may ail your own country? I think not. The people of any given country shouldn't be judged the same as the actions of errant and worthless leaders, who often get there by hook and crook. Their objectives very often differ from the citizens of said country. Thank you for your comments, MOMof3. I appreciate them.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I see you are from the U.K. I suppose it's unfortunate you didn't include your own country in those you mentioned as having equal attributes as those found in America. To me, that's the difference. Happy Thanksgiving... even though that's an exclusively American tradition and holiday, you are most welcome to partake and enjoy your thanks for whatever you may be thankful for.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

MOMof3
I recognize jealousy when I see it. I have never traveled beyond the US borders and never had an idea we were so hated. Like a beautiful woman is hated by an ugly woman.

Perhaps if you traveled you would have realized the abundance of beauty beyond your borders.

P.S Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Lucid, I see you are from "A Cave In Saturn." Perhaps that explains your all-inclusive bitterness for America. Gotta be cold and lonely in there.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

crazyewok

be4ne1
there is no other country that still maintains the promise, the hope, that if we try we can make something of ourselves.

Except Demark, Norway, Sweden, Canada, Finland, Norway abd Denmark have far higher entrepreneurship and social molbility rankings.

So no, Other countrey DO hold the same promise.

Your "American Dream" died about 11/09/2011.

If you going to go all RAR RAR chest beating MERIKA MERIKA at least get your facts right

How about places like Kuwait! Tax free living! I wish my government was that lenient.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

DeadSnow, no one said the rest of the planet is "crap." Or that there isn't extreme beauty throughout the planet. We here on planet earth can only presume we have a remarkably beautiful world. It's just not being managed very well, on this point I will not even attempt to disagree. But the people on this earth, for the most part, are deserving of the best we can achieve and preserve. I hope we can agree on that much.
edit on 11/27/2013 by be4ne1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/27/2013 by be4ne1 because: omitted an extra word

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
How small does one have to be to go crapping on others that are just enjoying the holiday season? Pfft. Have a great TG my American friends. I always enjoy it. 3X football.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join