It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dooms Day Preppies....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Found this episode. Was kinda interesting. That's kinda a neat show actually. I think some of the stuff they do is kinda goofy. Like what if the sheat never hits the fan? Then you spent a lot of your life almost like living in fear. But obviously the point is just to be over prepared just in case. But I don't know, it's a catch 22. you're damned if you do and your damned if you don't. I more go with the military style approach that you don't need anything. You just need your wits, and your knowledge. with that you can go out and get anything you need ot get if you absolutely have to. Otherwise to be acting like a human squirrle gathering all these nuts in your hide out is a bit off the wall. I think if the shtf I'd rather be right in the action, kicking azz and taking names. Not hiding in a hole like some little beatch! ha ha j/k

oh baby... lol

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I think the show is blatant misinformation. Just like the Ancient Aliens show. Its just so the majority of people can label others as "preppers" and decide that they are as crazy as the people on the show stuffing food into doorjambs and whatnot.

That being said I think it is prudent to have some kind of SHTF plan. The problem is knowing what to plan for. If you had asked me 3 years ago I would have been convinced that the Dollar was about to collapse and set up a nightmare US economic scenario, but so far the have kept it delayed. Still, it is only inevitable that it happen and taking any steps that you can to be more self sufficient is great for anyone.

I have been learning about chickens and recently got my first two egg layers. I think I'll make another chicken tractor and have two so i can have about 6-8 come spring time. I can use them for fertilizer and protein mainly, also to keep bugs out of the yard. I found an old garden tiller at a rummage sale that works reasonably well so i can expand my little winter garden into a bigger garden come springtime. I have about 6-12 months worth of canned foods and dry goods and I have Rifle and shotgun rounds as well as a reloader so i can reuse the casings for hunting if I need to. I've also spent the last year or two riding my 4-wheeler around getting a feel for the land thats away from the paved roads looking for potential places to hide/hunt if I need to.

That's what I've been doing. Will it help when whatever is gonna happen happens? I hope so. Even if nothing happens I figure having chickens and a garden and maybe more knowledge about things could'nt hurt regardless.

I hope we aren't looking back at the early part of this century as the "good ol days."

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

In that second video, she's just emptied the contents of a typical woman's handbag or purse around the world! Ever tried to find a pen in a woman's handbag? Impossible! Jammed with crap!

But joking aside, A bag that size is quite capable of being kept in the boot/trunk of a car, just in case. Worth noting some of the contents. Haven't watched the first video yet. Will catch it later. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

good point

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I don't think there has ever been a need for a BOB ready to go. Supplies in case of a natural disaster sure, but stuff usually doesn't go down that you have time to prepare for or how you expect.

Take the situation in Bosnia where people were living in urban environments in a every man for himself situation. They didn't go anywhere because they found themselves slowly surrounded before it happened. They didn't see tanks rolling in and have time to flee.

I have a great interview with a guy who lived through it and how he explained he survived in a real world scenario. A lot of lessons here about what actually happens in a survival situation. Worth a read for anyone trying to separate myth from reality.

learnhowtobeprepared.com...-Ul

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I didn't see any TP or Tampons in her bag. Come on lady, those are necessary for women.

Also no mention of a canopener although a knife would do.

A case to hang the gun on your side would be a wise investment. Sand is an enemy of a semi-automatic weapon.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I too noticed n o can o p e n e r / k n i f e - nor did she chamber a round. good information however.

"Tampons and sanitary napkins" have great value in the survival mode

I personally have T.P. as one of my 'once a monther' preps!

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I think realistically you don't need a BOB like that. It's hard to say. But I just think it's so impractical. Like unless you live far far away from any kind of civilization then I don't see it being realistic. Like what kind of disaster would happen where you somehow would be better off with all that gear? I just don't see it. Maybe 3 items: 1) a good pocket knife 2) a bic lighter 3) maybe a high quality zip lock bag. As the pocket knife could come in handy in a variety of situations and doesn't weigh you down. Same with the lighter. The zip lock bag also wouldn't weigh you down and you could use it for a variety of things. Mainly to store a big of water, basically the equivalent of having a water bottle without it being bulky. But my thought is with all the development, all the trash, all the stuff, everywhere and anywhere, all the people everywhere, then all that gear is so pointless. I mean you could find most of it almost anywhere if the SHTF. Lets say something major happens, everyones' dying dead, or has bugged out. Well that leaves tons and tons of houses and cars and businesses full of stuff so if you needed any stuff you could go and get it if for some reason you're the lucky one that made it. I think it's wise to keep a few things in your car though. food, water, extra clothing, blankets, gas can, and some other gear. But to be running around with a backpack full of gear is so dumb. Lets say you were lost in the woods. Well that backpack full of stuff might help you for a little while longer. Not much though if you don't know what you're doing. It's just dead weight, and I think could actually hurt you. If you're young and super fit it might not hinder you that much. But like I'm almost 40 so I know I would never want to carry that much weight around. It would cause me to use up way too much calories and dehidrate you faster. I know that with those few items I mentioned I'm sure I could at least survive until I was able to find "something", abandon house, some old junk, some trash, enough "stuff" to keep me going. I don't know I could be wrong but the more I reason it out I think this whole BOB idea is just retarded. Having that stuff in your car maybe makes some sense. But only in very limited situations. ahhh whatever.

I keep getting a: "your request has timed out" error if I spend even more than 30 seconds typing something when I go and try and post it".

I think something's wrong with the website....
edit on 28-11-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I don't know I could be wrong but the more I reason it out I think this whole BOB idea is just retarded. Having that stuff in your car maybe makes some sense. But only in very limited situations. ahhh whatever.

I've been saying that forever here however it dismissed as not wanting to pollute the fantasy of 'bugging out' when in reality without some real outdoor skills that you have repeatedly trained for and having them honed in actual survival situations the so called bag is useless.

Studying the flora and researching the areas past and learning how the people survived, and flourished, before modern technology is far more important than a nifty can opener or a fancy gadget. Perhaps a spring edition, in full color, of a Victoria Secret catalog might come in handy but other than that the whole bugout bag is, like you said, retarded.
edit on 29-11-2013 by spooky24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

In the second video , at least she has something to barter with.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I've been watching that show now and it's pretty good actually. It's quite interesting.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Food (large Planters jar of nuts and raisins)
Water
Full change of clothes
Flashlight
First aid kit (make sure to include required meds)
Leatherman surge
NOAA weather radio with dynamo
Cash

That's what I keep in my emergency bag. It all fits in my old Jansport backpack I used for books in college using the 'grey man theory' should I have to evacuate. I'm from Illinois and during the recent extreme weather it was nice to have everything ready and together during the storms. There is also a manufacturing plant with some serious chemicals that come in by the trainload in my town. That could potentially cause an emergency evacuation. I'm not prepared for months of off grid living but I should be ready for localized disasters.

Hundr eds Evacuated After Railcar Leak in Ohio City

Some people weren't even allowed to use their own car. They just loaded up in the van and hope other people have it figured out for them.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Spookybelle
I don't think there has ever been a need for a BOB ready to go. Supplies in case of a natural disaster sure, but stuff usually doesn't go down that you have time to prepare for or how you expect.

learnhowtobeprepared.com...-Ul

There are two scenarios for a Bug-out-bag, in my opinion. Both of them short-term, and kept in your car, to guard against the car becoming unusable:

1) A factory near you has a chemical spill (like the fertalizer plant in Texas that exploded), or a train derails and does the same thing. You have to flee immediately. Probably, you are stuck in a traffic jam, and the only movement is away from your home and other supplies. Having a few rudiments in your car helps you when stranded in a jam so bad that other motorists are abandoning their vehicles and proceeding on foot---you're obviously blocked in, and so must hoof it out yourself. At that point, some of the gear becomes critical. A few niceties like asprin may not be the difference between life and death, but they may help you function best, in the crisis.

2) If you travel in rural areas. If your car breaks down as a storm approaches, and ALL other motorists have gotten to their destinations and holed up. This means no one will be coming by to give you a ride. This actually happened to me when I was a teen. A snowstorm was coming, so all the farmers had put up their livestock and gone home. I lost control of the vehicle on a wet curve and rammed into a deep ditch, just as the snow began to fall. In half an hour it was white-out conditions. I stayed with the car for 4 hours, but eventually figured out that NO ONE would be using that road for the weekend. I walked all the way to the nearest town (~10 miles), and never met a single car or snowplow until I got to the city limits....
edit on 4-12-2013 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

top topics

join