It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboards Declare Prayer, Bibles Not Helping Disaster Victims

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

The Philippines have a strong Catholic population. The church outreaches sent in what is needed for the physical AS WELL AS what is needed for the spiritual. Considering how the good people in the Philippines are strongly Catholic, it makes sense that the Church would send in what the Catholic people would need spiritually, as well as the rest.

I don't see any problem with them sending bibles and rosaries the the Catholics in addition to the other things the church outreaches are doing for the survivors. The bibles and rosaries mean a lot to them. They'll be glad to get them.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

less of everything for the people who need help in the first place.

I was thinking the same thing, what if all the prayers and all he charity ended tomorrow, in for a rude awakening, those days are drawing near, For the mystery of lawlessness doth already work: only there is one that restraineth now, until he be taken out of the way.

The holy spirit.

goodbye

edit on 073030p://bWednesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
Maybe because Atheists seem to be so full of hate

You're thinking of the westboro baptist church.

Religion is full of hypocrisy. But that is not to say all religious folk are hypocrites.

I actually find people without religion to be better people, in general. At least they're more honest.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Well it has been my experience that many religious organizations find sympathy for just about everyone but when it comes to atheists not so much.

I am sorry but I find that hard to believe since the message is specifically for those that don't believe.

How does one spot an atheist?
Do the atheist announce themselves?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OceanSpray

Yeah, they can sleep on bibles aye. Maybe mush them up and eat them.

Loads of fibre at least.

good call, send more bibles.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Who is telling you to do what with your money? Can you please quote where that happened here or are you just projecting?

The reason the way they are towards atheists has nothing to do with money. It has more to do with being labeled devil worshipers, heathens and such for so long that and the fact we don’t believe in deity’s which people take personally as a rejection of themselves because god is merely a part of their psyche a self-image hence the reason so many people say god knows them so well or is so close to them. In effect when an atheist says they don’t believe in a deity the inner workings of many theists minds here we don’t believe in them which turns into we reject them that’s why they take it so personally. On the other hand when they here agnostic it translates into we could be friends. Some people realize it isn’t personal and can get past it but many others cannot. The whole thing has been equated to dating and flirtation.

I studied the stuff for a while.
opps just saw your off to work. Well see you later this has been interesting.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

no i'm talking about radicals like the bolsheviks, pol pot and company, mao and company, castro and company, people who, because they believed that humans are simply animals,

You look like another parrot preaching those awfully wrong debate words.

This goes for you and other parrots that use this stupid phrase over and over again on ATS.

Pol Pot, Mao, Stalin DID NOT KILL in the name of Atheism. It was a political move to keep their dictatorship, they did not want any outside religion influencing their power.

I guess in a brainwashed head the interpretation goes something like this isn't it?

(Pol Pot/Mao/Stalin): Oh look a person who believes in god, kill him! Cause we love some non believing.

Atheism means having NO belief in such things.

edit on 11/27/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Well everything I said plus as you pointed out many have been convinced those people killed in the name atheism. I wonder who started that line of thinking? Rhetorical.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

winofiend

Yeah, they can sleep on bibles aye. Maybe mush them up and eat them.

Loads of fibre at least.

good call, send more bibles.

some will find solace in them, some will not, doesn't change the gesture nor intent to help in some way. i think they have a word for that, ungrateful, yes that's it. there is no right or wrong in giving a gift and mature people know this and accept them with gratitude, even though some may be unable to use said gift. perhaps when you mature more you may see this.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Philippines is already 90% Catholics, who are they trying to convert?

Charity is one thing, then you have people using charities to gather converts.

"look, people that are in their weakest state. lets influence and get god in their heads!" < AKA Religious Charities.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

A bible is good for only two things in a survival situation both would be considered blasphemy.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

okay, let's say we have 2 guides on how to deal with human beings, from a government perspective.

one guide says, human life is sacred. the guys that wrote this guide, occasionally do stuff that doesn't look like the actually believe that. but overall, it has kept the genocidal behavior of governments who use it, at a dull roar.

the other guide says, human life is not sacred and is only as valuable as their role in or value to, the state. these guys, more often than not, prove that is what they believe. overall, governments who use this guide, are currently responsible for the worst atrocities and genocides in human history.

and their favorite, favorite, targets are their fellows. they are like sith lords. nobody trusts anybody because they know in their hearts, that that means their life is just as cheap as the 15 million people starved to death in the ukraine.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

luciddream
Philippines is already 90% Catholics, who are they trying to convert?

Charity is one thing, then you have people using charities to gather converts.

"look, people that are in their weakest state. lets influence and get god in their heads!" < AKA Religious Charities.

yes like my children when they give me horrid looking ties for christmas, they were obviously looking to get me into ugly ties. i just smile and say thank you so much, it's wonderful and i'll wear it just because it was given in love, ends up meaning more to me than a sweet perry ellis i tell ya.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Grimpachi

A bible is good for only two things in a survival situation both would be considered blasphemy.

that would be your point of view and i can respect that, but it's far from the only one that matters.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

Well it has been my experience that many religious organizations find sympathy for just about everyone but when it comes to atheists not so much.

I am sorry but I find that hard to believe since the message is specifically for those that don't believe.

How does one spot an atheist?
Do the atheist announce themselves?

You saw the video right? It can be as simple as that. I have been asked before. To put it simply it happens in conversation. I have never purposely started a conversation with the intention of exposing that I am an atheist but just like in the video it happens.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

What does a value of a human have to do with Atheism? or why you use those 2 metaphors? they are metaphor for what exactly?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I remember last week hearing about a charity, Samaritans Purse, who is famous for the shoe box gifts. They are a very religious charity. But they sent several plane loads of AID for the victims in the Philippines. The people arranging everything were talking about the Christmas shoe boxes and saying, right now, these people need help, after they get that, we can get them shoe boxes.

I don't like people trying to profit off of religion. It is a slap in the face to God in my opinion. But don't just assume that all charities are like that. Now I may be off base of this group, but from what I hear so far, they seem to really want to make a difference and help people/along with their religious message.

They give kids all around the world little gifts they would have never gotten, and tell them Jesus loves them. I just don't see the harm in that.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Grimpachi
So are you now saying that those items do not take up space or weight? Are you saying those items do not cost money? If you can provide evidence of that being the case then I have zero qualms however if physics and capitalism still apply then something much more useful was left behind or not purchased because of those items there is no way around it.

You know that pic you have of a cargo plane quick question for you. What weighs more books or clothing space wise? You do know planes have a weight limit right?

You seem to be under the impression that there are limited methods in which to donate resources. If only one organization was helping out, and one plane dispatched to dispense said help, I could understand your frustration at the lack of clothing and food for those in need. But, in fact, there have been multiple examples, just in this thread alone, that prove that help is pouring in from around the world - and not all of that help includes "unneeded" Bibles. So what is your qualm about 1000, a rather miniscule number in a country boasting 90M people, Bibles being handed out?

Where are the reports of what Atheism.org donated to the Philippines disaster? I see on their page that they take donations, so somewhere there must be a statement of where that money goes.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by undo

What does a value of a human have to do with Atheism? or why you use those 2 metaphors? they are metaphor for what exactly?

it doesn't apply to atheism beyond the position that humans are merely animals. when you devalue the sacredness of human life, when you relegate the whole man to be the sum total of his mammal body, you run the risk of vaders and palpatines and the ilk. if you convince a megalomaniac of the mammal story, not only will he use it to kill your enemies, he'll use it to kill you and everybody you love.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

network dude

I remember last week hearing about a charity, Samaritans Purse, who is famous for the shoe box gifts. They are a very religious charity. But they sent several plane loads of AID for the victims in the Philippines. The people arranging everything were talking about the Christmas shoe boxes and saying, right now, these people need help, after they get that, we can get them shoe boxes.

I don't like people trying to profit off of religion. It is a slap in the face to God in my opinion. But don't just assume that all charities are like that. Now I may be off base of this group, but from what I hear so far, they seem to really want to make a difference and help people/along with their religious message.

They give kids all around the world little gifts they would have never gotten, and tell them Jesus loves them. I just don't see the harm in that.

We did those shoe box gifts at my church back in October! I think someone starting up a shoe box charity for the Philippines would be great. It's amazing how much stuff you can stuff into one shoe box. And the kids would benefit from having little packages to open that would contain toys and books. Because you have to admit, for the kids, this must be a scary situation to live through.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join