It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboards Declare Prayer, Bibles Not Helping Disaster Victims

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I gotta wonder how much atheists spent on those billboards in NJ...

"Disaster victims need billboards in New Jersey
.... real help"

it seems to me the issue is more about attacking Catholics, and not in the least about helping disaster victims. Now, I'm all for attacking Catholics - in a religious venue - but using the extreme misfortunes of others as a springboard for religious attacks is just... tacky. I'm not willing to diss the Catholics over how thy spend THEIR money unless I am also willing to allow my own finances to undergo the same scrutiny,

Not so the atheists, apparently.

edit on 2013/11/27 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

nenothtu

I am not in this fight at all but now I must point something out.
The video clip I posted IS an example of how atheists DO help out others in need.
Doug Stanhope saw the CNN clip in question and discovered that the local religious groups took affront to what the woman being interviewed had said and as a result were not inclined to help her despite helping other religious people in her neighborhood after the disaster.
Mister Stanhope (and other self-professed atheists) with the help of crowd sourcing got together and raised 125K (25K more than was needed) to help her build a new home for her and her family.
So, yes...apparently atheists do.

www.dougstanhope.com...

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

sorry.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Are you saying no one listens to the Pope? Hmm..I may have rethink a big chunk of history now.

It is in the OP. A lone sentence so it stands out.

They spent nothing. It didn't cost the organization a dime in the article I guess you missed it which I also repeated the third post down. You must have missed that one to but here it is for you again. Don't miss it now.

The billboards did not cost the organization or its donors. So the message was posted without cost which means that's more money they can contribute to the cause.

Third maybe fourth times a charm for some people. Bet it gets asked by someone else though.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

oh egads, that's awful. well at least when i pay my taxes, it helps everyone and not just other christians. i think it's shameful that they left her out.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

Look, I am not christian, yet I have had christian charitable organizations help me when I needed help. I have been told (at different occasions) different things... Some quotes are:

"We are glad you felt like you could come here, even though you do not share the same religion"

"Thank you for coming, we are happy to help anyone who needs it, no matter their faith"

these were just two comments from Christians who I went to for help. It did NOT matter to them what faith I held... they were simply happy to help someone in need. So, I don't get that christians refused to help an atheist... it has been my personal experience that Christians help anyone regardless of faith.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

That's fine sir but I guarentee you, the woman being interviewed in that news clip heard no such comforting words.
I will not even speculate why.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

well isolated cases do serve as a means of steretoyping the target. that's how hitler did it. stalin. oh and pol pot was a real pro at it -- if you wore glasses, had an education or might have a reason to disagree with his genocidal ideas, you were killed. he was an equal opportunity destroyer tho. he killed atheists as well as religous people. his point was, if you are an intellectual, you could pose a threat. now an intellectual atheist would likely think that's a raw deal, but that is the end result of letting megalomaniacs the world over, believe humans have no higher purpose but to serve the state and die.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

That's silly.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The billboards would have cost somebody money, even if was only lost revenue. Surely that could have been better spent, than slagging off a religion?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

The point is it cost someone money, they weren't free... and THAT money could have went to help disaster victims rather than some dumb billboards trashing some religious people...

I am sure people who have the money to give to disaster victims, will give, do give, and have given without needing someone to tell them to. Catholic or not.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by undo

That's silly.

yeah if you get depressed, just watch that. hehe

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Well it has been my experience that many religious organizations find sympathy for just about everyone but when it comes to atheists not so much. The difference between kindness and coldness is as thin as agnostic and atheist. Don’t even try clarify you are an agnostic atheist that sounds like gibberish to a lot of them. Still in this day its best to just say you are agnostic there is no need to clarify which way you lean because it can be detrimental in some cases.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Grimpachi
Well it has been my experience that many religious organizations find sympathy for just about everyone but when it comes to atheists not so much. The difference between kindness and coldness is as thin as agnostic and atheist. Don’t even try clarify you are an agnostic atheist that sounds like gibberish to a lot of them. Still in this day its best to just say you are agnostic there is no need to clarify which way you lean because it can be detrimental in some cases.

Maybe because Atheists seem to be so full of hate they cannot appear to live and let live. Its my business what I do with my money, its others business what they do with theirs. Atheists seem to think they can dictate to others what to do..

maybe that is why there is such a lack of "sympathy"

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Well I have known people that do exactly what their church says for whatever reasons I have seen old ladies sign over there pension check to their church because they think it gets them closer to heaven how do you think TV evangelists stay in business. It doesn’t make sense to me but it’s the way things are so yes a few choice words from the Pope would have made a difference.

As far as the billboards go have you ever thought maybe a member owned them? I have seen plenty of vacant boards on road sides the fact is the organization didn’t have to pay for them and they at least directed people to a website they could donate to help.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

it's not "atheists", it's some atheists. like a buddhist would consider himself/herself an atheist of sorts, but it's not likely you will see too many of them stereotyping people of other religions.

it's squeaky wheel syndrome. Lenin started the bolshevik revolution with just 10,000 people (most of which were later killed by the communist party, cause that's the price ya pay for not respecting human life)
edit on 27-11-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

True... you are correct. We should never stereotype or group...

have a wonderful day... I am off to work...

link   

OpinionatedB
Maybe because Atheists seem to be so full of hate they cannot appear to live and let live. Its my business what I do with my money, its others business what they do with theirs. Atheists seem to think they can dictate to others what to do..

I'm sorry but that is just a rank generalization.
It's just as wrong as if I were to accuse you of being the exact sort of religious person who'd deny help to an atheist tornado victem simply for identifying as a Christian.

-Peace-
edit on 27-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

link   

nenothtu

I gotta wonder how much atheists spent on those billboards in NJ...

"Disaster victims need billboards in New Jersey
.... real help"

it seems to me the issue is more about attacking Catholics, and not in the least about helping disaster victims. Now, I'm all for attacking Catholics - in a religious venue - but using the extreme misfortunes of others as a springboard for religious attacks is just... tacky. I'm not willing to diss the Catholics over how thy spend THEIR money unless I am also willing to allow my own finances to undergo the same scrutiny,

edit on 2013/11/27 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

Ahhhaha huurrr.. yeah the 'atheists' are wasting money that they are given as donations to help the victims of disaster, yeah. Oh wait, that's religion. sigh. religious folk are so blinded by their own stink they try to spread it around to everyone...

This reminds me of a story I heard by a very spiritual, but not religious, person.

He worked in a government office and his name was similar to a very educated financial advisor who also worked in the same office. A church called up one day to ask for the financial advisor and was mistakenly put through to the this guy. On answering the phone the priest asked him "we've received a large sum of money and were wondering what your advice would be as to best invest it."

the guy responds "have you thought about giving it to the poor?"

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
pretty sad world we have when "any" contribution is frowned upon and those receiving gifts should mock at them for not being good enough. sounds more like 5 year olds at christmas.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join