It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboards Declare Prayer, Bibles Not Helping Disaster Victims

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Funny how any thread which points out that religion isn't doing what it says it does always attracts the usual suspects.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

As far as an Attack on Christianity, this one is the weakest I have seen... And I am no Christian or Catholic.

The Bishops conference is not a disaster relief organization for one, so what they do, they simply do. No one donates money to them for disaster victims.

As far as the question "do Catholics help people in need by giving them necessities", yes they do... I see it daily right down the road from me...and while I am sure if you wanted a bible you could ask for one and get it, they dont hand them out...they do however give food and clothing and help with other needs. More than once it was a nun to hand me a hot meal when I was too broke to eat.. and I am not a catholic and she did no proselytizing to me...she simply handed me food.

So I would suppose that catholic organizations who provide help for disaster relief victims, actually provide necessities... it seems quite logical. The Bishops conference simply isn't one of them.

edit on 27-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

It’s cool. I generally ditch threads that become nasty in fact most of the time after I start an OP I just keep tabs on them to see where they are going. After all in posting the OP I have pretty much stated my opinion on the matter and provided the evidence. Most of the time I am just interested in seeing what others think on the subject after that so I try to keep a hands off approach as much as possible. It’s interesting to see the different takes on articles. I have noticed some people will defend any behavior. Not saying that’s happened here but it has definitely happened in other threads.

This has been a decent thread overall to participate in but I am getting tired I may get some shut eye.

Anyway it’s been my experience that Lucid will clarify his position but I have never seen him become abusive. I don’t think that was his intent.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Cranford, NJ—American Atheists launched six billboards on Monday in central New Jersey attacking the non-helpful responses by some religions to recent natural disasters. These responses have included praying for the victims and sending bibles and rosaries instead of requested relief supplies that can save lives.

While at least $300 million has been pledged by nations around the world to help survivors of Super Typhoon Haiyan, the Catholic Bishop Conference of the Philippines, a billion-dollar non-government organization, has responded to the disaster by sending 1,000 bibles and 12,000 rosaries to survivors, according to CBS News. Additionally, the Pope tweeted for Catholics to pray for the typhoon victims. His message was retweeted 30,000 times.

OK I am pretty sure you didn’t read the first or second paragraph in the source articl so I posted it above. In other words I am not sure what the post about what happens down the street from you has to do with this unless you live in NJ. Can you elaborate?

edit on 27-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

This thread sort of reminds me of that CNN interview...

-Peace-
edit on 27-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Grimpachi

Cranford, NJ—American Atheists launched six billboards on Monday in central New Jersey attacking the non-helpful responses by some religions to recent natural disasters. These responses have included praying for the victims and sending bibles and rosaries instead of requested relief supplies that can save lives.

OK I am pretty sure you didn’t read the first paragraph in the source articl so I posted it above. In other words I am not sure what the post about what happens down the street from you has to do with this unless you live in NJ. Can you elaborate?

No, I didn't read that, it wasn't in what you quoted... what I read was this:

While at least $300 million has been pledged by nations around the world to help survivors of Super Typhoon Haiyan, the Catholic Bishop Conference of the Philippines, a billion-dollar non-government organization, has responded to the disaster by sending 1,000 bibles and 12,000 rosaries to survivors, according to CBS News. Additionally, the Pope tweeted for Catholics to pray for the typhoon victims.

If prayer is the only thing you can do for someone, then I say do what you can...

What i read from what you quoted, was people complaining that bibles were sent by people who are not about helping disaster victims, the money they take in is for something else entirely. It could be considered misappropriation of funds for them to start using funds that were given for something different to start being given to disaster victims...

Did you prefer they sent nothing?

Some people might like a bible... and it seems they had plenty on hand.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Radical atheists spread as much hate as radical religions.
Attack attack attack, you MUST believe the same as me!

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

i like it. notice at the end she said she didn't mind if others did. also note that she doesn't call others who do, mentally ill.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

That's not the issue here.
Please stay on topic.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

hey i said i liked it. what do you want? you're the one who posted it.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

undo
also note that she doesn't call others who do, mentally ill.

I was refering to this.
Not the beginning of your comment.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Additionally the Vatican donated $150k out of the billions that they take in from the third most catholic nation in the world I guess the people are supposed to be thankful? Like the article said can you imagine what would have happened if the Pope had just gone on the record and asked people to help, send money, send supplies, do something that actually is going to make a difference? Anyway I guess something is better than nothing. I just think charities could do a much better job in what people put their faith in them to do or people should be aware of who they are donating to and how those charities are spending the money that’s been donated. The billboard is raising awareness and providing options to potential donators.

As far as the OP goes T&C states you cannot quote entire articles so try to keep that in mind that’s why we post links otherwise Ops will generate infractions be cut by mods or deleted entirely.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

The issue seems to be about wanting a group to misuse funds given...

Everyone complains saying I gave money to group A for a particular cause, and it didn't go to the cause for which I donated.

Yet, when group B over here, refuses to use funds given for anything other than what those funds were donated for, it seems to be a problem for the atheist...

I suppose misappropriation of funds should happen whenever we want it to happen...

that appears to be the thread topic... Its quite weak.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

I am just spectating.
I have no dogs in this fight.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Grimpachi

Additionally the Vatican donated $150k out of the billions that they take in from the third most catholic nation in the world I guess the people are supposed to be thankful? Like the article said can you imagine what would have happened if the Pope had just gone on the record and asked people to help, send money, send supplies, do something that actually is going to make a difference? Anyway I guess something is better than nothing. I just think charities could do a much better job in what people put their faith in them to do or people should be aware of who they are donating to and how those charities are spending the money that’s been donated. The billboard is raising awareness and providing options to potential donators.

As far as the OP goes T&C states you cannot quote entire articles so try to keep that in mind that’s why we post links otherwise Ops will generate infractions be cut by mods or deleted entirely.

Do you seriously think that the only way a catholic will donate any extra money they have is if the pope tells them to?

I believe both myself AND the pope has a lot more faith in people then that.... they will donate without the need of anyone having to tell them them to.

Also, the thread isn't about how much the Vatican gave for disaster relief.... and whether or not you think it is enough... If you want to have that discussion perhaps you should start a different thread.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

You seem to want a different thread by all means start one however this thread is based off of the OP and I don't plan on changing it. Send me a PM once you start your own on the topic you wish to discuss this one is still in progress.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

You were the one who brought something entirely unrelated up... and appeared to want to discuss it. As I said, if you dont think the Vatican gave enough then you go ahead and discuss it in a different thread.

The point seems to be you don't think ANY bibles should have been given and you don't think prayer is a good thing...That sounds like a personal problem.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I have no dogs in this fight either.

I am not a Christian, and do not own a bible, although I married a christian now so there is one in my house these days.

But I am not so full of hate for Christians that I think it was wrong of anyone to donate some bibles and rosaries... Many people are christian and so in hard times people turn to God more, and bibles can be a good thing for them especially if they lost theirs.

Some people in this world their holy books are the only thing they have to hang on to... I have nothing against anyone for hanging on to them... and I don't think its wrong to make sure they have at least that...

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Actually in case you missed it the bibles are an important part of both the source article and the OP it is you who are deviating and seem to want another thread. Perhaps you should go back to page one and start from the beginning this time read the linked source article.

Oh and as far as what you said here.

Do you seriously think that the only way a catholic will donate any extra money they have is if the pope tells them to?

Gee it may help you know some people are downright religious about that stuff.

Are you saying no one listens to the Pope? Hmm..I may have rethink a big chunk of history now.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Why tell me?
I'm not involved here.

-Peace-

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join