It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboards Declare Prayer, Bibles Not Helping Disaster Victims

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

well my position is, you can't honestly say you've researched the data till you've honestly researched the data. and until you've figured out how these pieces of data are related, you can't say you've even arrived at a hypothesis of why they are related. for example, and i want you think about this very carefully:

300 years ago, a bunch of catholic priests, threw out the prior 4500 years of history from ALL ancient cultures, on the pretext that it was inferior to the papal interpretation of the bible. you personally, and every atheist today, is personally, quoting these catholic priests, who spear headed the enlightenment. since the enlightenment had good things in it, such as the advancement of science and creation of archaeology as a science, any evidence that has since come to light to indicate the ancient world is not one big myth, has been completely ignored. i don't know how anyone could claim to be atheist while following a catholic doctrine, cause that's what it amounts to

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

well my position is, you can't honestly say you've researched the data till you've honestly researched the data.

That's all fine well and dandy but it doesn't negate the burden of proof is on the one asserting the claim.

and until you've figured out how these pieces of data are related, you can't say you've even arrived at a hypothesis of why they are related.

Hey let's analyze and speculate. History, religion, mythology, all of it! Lets theorize and try and understand it all! Lets do so with a critical mind. One that requires evidence to substantiate belief.

300 years ago, a bunch of catholic priests, threw out

Actually long before that. During the Council of Nicea the Roman Catholics thew out a lot of Christian texts when they were forming the Church and the Bible. The very Bible Christians use today ironically.

you personally, and every atheist today, is personally, quoting these catholic priests

I quote many sources. Not surprising that I would quote the mainstream canon that the Christians themselves use.

any evidence that has since come to light to indicate the ancient world is not one big myth, has been completely ignored.

Sounds like a conspiracy within the religious community. I hope you're not attributing that to Atheism as well

i don't know how anyone could claim to be atheist while following a catholic doctrine, cause that's what it amounts to

What? Following?…

Again, you seem very confused about atheism.
edit on 28-11-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

What the atheists need to keep in mind is that you don't make your candle burn brighter by blowing out someone else's. They have a major ax to grind with theists and whose only real life contribution seems to be gritching and moaning about some group they have no desire to belong to.

Wow. Just wow.

My family runs a care home for medically fragile children. We have since I was a kid (I'm 31). We have taken in I believe 20. Most of them stay until 18. Their biological parents were either horrible people and or didn't have the medical expertise to care for them. We care for them 24 hours every day. We wake up in the middle of the morning at 1 and 3 AM to administer meds, deal with ventilators and tracheas. We do this every day all day because most people don't want to. It works out that the county pays us roughly 2 dollars an hour for 24/hr care. Which in my opinion is not what we deserve. We love them. They are family. I guess you also don't appreciate it.

My rather large family is entirely atheist. We contribute much to this world.
edit on 28-11-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

i'm not asking you to prove atheism to me, and i'm not saying that atheism isn't real because an ancient text says otherwise, and that would be the only position that would allow the argument that the burden of proof was on me. what i'm asking is, just learn it for yourself. use your empirical mind to find out what these things say. what if the ancient texts have valid info in them that would highlight and clarify sciences, but our culture ignores them cause some priests 300 years ago threw them out of the history texts on the premise they were all myths. this is what they did to galileo. they insisted the papal view was the only legitimate view and refused to even look at his evidence. and they likely said things like the burden of proof is on you, so they wouldn't have to look at the evidence themselves. and then when he tried to give the evidence, the burden of proof, they called him a blasphemer and put him in jail.

edit on 28-11-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Eryiedes

nenothtu
I don't care if they want to worship Flying Spaghetti Monsters by dancing naked around campfires.

But the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the best part about atheism.
He can play the guitar!

-Peace-

is he al dente or over cooked?

makes a big difference.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

what i'm asking is, just learn it for yourself. use your empirical mind to find out what these things say. what if the ancient texts have valid info in them that would highlight and clarify sciences, but our culture ignores them cause some priests 300 years ago threw them out

You should know that I am more than willing and interested in trying to understand and discuss all this. It's a mistake to think someone that doesn't believe isn't. Again, I am quite familiar with your post history. I have read many of Sitchin's books. I have read countless threads here on various religions and mythology. Including many before your time here on ATS, by a member quite knowledgable in Vedic history/mythology which illuminated the possibility of advanced ancient history.

What I won't do is believe absolutely in the claims about a Creator God and what it wants and wishes upon us without damn good evidence. I feel that would be the most absurd thing I could do. I can't imagine anything more disrespectful to a being like that then pretend I understand with my limited monkey brain something so infinite and transcendent. Apparently the religious don't have that same reservation. They put 'it' nicely in their man-made box for their convenience.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

i understand that is your argument, but did you read my last post to grim? see this is another issue i have with this topic. people who discount ancient history always use the papal interpretation from hundreds of years ago, to argue the point.

for example, although there are some real gems in zeitgeist, one of the mistakes it makes is assuming if the papacy said it, that makes it the official scripture for the whole of christendom. many of these things are not even in the bible, they are just papal positions, papal decisions, such as the decision to make the winter solstice, christmas. that wasn't in the bible. how do you discount the bible on the pretext that the data is in the bible, when it's not in the bible? it was just an ecumenical choice some pope made. that's like saying because the dalai lama thinks mandarin oranges are good on the vernal equinox, this is evidence that it says so in their sacred writings.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
"Billboards Declare Prayer, Bibles Not Helping Disaster Victims"

Well, billboards bickering at something you don't believe in... aren't going to help the disaster victims either.

“Over 5,500 people have died, so Pope Francis leads people in prayer, and they send bibles and rosaries. This is repugnant; natural disasters should not be viewed as opportunities for proselytization.” Silverman continued, “Religion is not charity. It’s business masquerading as charity, and it needs to be recognized as such.”

Proselytization?
Somebody please tell this Silverman person that around 80% of Philipinos are Roman Catholics.
What does he think the Pope is trying to do? Convert the mostly Catholic Philipinos into... super Catholics?
IMO, The Catholic victims are more likely to take offense to those atheist billboards.

- my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n

Somebody please tell this Silverman person that around 80% of Philipinos are Roman Catholics.
What does he think the Pope is trying to do? Convert the mostly Catholic Philipinos into...

Indeed. What.

So the majority of the population is Catholic as you say.

Then why the Bibles? Could it be.... that they were intended to reach the other 20%..

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Oh they know a lot more was given, and that Catholics are giving a lot. They are just mad because the catholic church gave bibles to Catholics too.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

"There have been many Adam's before our Adam, ours is just the last of them."

That is a quote from a religious text.

I agree with you in some part, and disagree in others. The meaning of Adam you are incorrect as the word is derived either from the word earth, or from the word "to make", but that there was more than one, yes you are correct...

Also, there were humans on earth when Adam and Eve were removed from the garden. The sons of Adam married, and it wasn't their sisters... they took wives from the earth, women who were already here.

edit on 28-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Oh they know a lot more was given, and that Catholics are giving a lot. They are just mad because the catholic church gave bibles to Catholics too.

Thanks for the clarification. B.

Skunk pi$$ing contests aren't my bag. I rescind my apology for not reading all the posts

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

you don't make your candle burn brighter by blowing out someone else's

lovely, needs repeated.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

you don't make your candle burn brighter by blowing out someone else's

lovely, needs repeated.

You make it brighter by burning holy books on it!

Oops that was harsh. Sorry. but i just had to say it!

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

undo
this is a silly argument, specifically because it totally ignores the reality of charitable giving.

no one asks people whether they are religious or not before they accept donations from them. people of faith donate to all kinds of charities, many of them completely secular.

when you give charitably, you do so because you want to help. if the charity is faith-based, you can assume some of your donation will go to providing the victims with spiritual help as well as food, shelter, medicine.

dumb argument, argument is dumb

I agree. It is a dumb argument. Would like to see a list of food, supplies, and people helping instead of only the small part about bibles and rosaries. I am guessing those are in addition to other things meant to comfort those who have lost loved ones.

This organization is bent on trashing christiantity at every turn. Look them up. They pull what will further their cause out and dont include the rest. Unfortunately most don't read beyond the message so it clearly works.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

undo
this is a silly argument, specifically because it totally ignores the reality of charitable giving.

no one asks people whether they are religious or not before they accept donations from them. people of faith donate to all kinds of charities, many of them completely secular.

when you give charitably, you do so because you want to help. if the charity is faith-based, you can assume some of your donation will go to providing the victims with spiritual help as well as food, shelter, medicine.

dumb argument, argument is dumb

I agree. It is a dumb argument. Would like to see a list of food, supplies, and people helping instead of only the small part about bibles and rosaries. I am guessing those are in addition to other things meant to comfort those who have lost loved ones.

This organization is bent on trashing christiantity at every turn. Look them up. They pull what will further their cause out and dont include the rest. Unfortunately most don't read beyond the message so it clearly works.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

you know what this kind of radicalized thinking does? it causes the other side, to also become radicalized. just stop it already or next thing we'll know there won't be any books, spiritual, atheist or otherwise.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I'll take your advice when Atheist are running around killing in the name of Atheism and look down on human value like you claim they do.

Until then i'll make sure fairy tales stays out of law's, rules, regulation and schools.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by undo

I'll take your advice when Atheist are running around killing in the name of Atheism and look down on human value like you claim they do.

Until then i'll make sure fairy tales stays out of law's, rules, regulation and schools.

well then seems you already have your cake and are eating it too. now just stay out of other people's brainspace and everything will be peachy

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
check this out:

they already control the schools. the laws. they control the public space. they control science. they have vast libraries of nothing but atheist materials. they control the airwaves. the television. the radio. the economy. and they still want us to believe they are discriminated against and treated unfairly. this is akin to a pope, 800 years ago, complaining that some people don't agree with him and it makes him feel bad. awww.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join