It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filibuster overhaul clears way for White House to stack ObamaCare Panel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Reid's filibuster overhaul clears way for White House to stack ObamaCare panel

NOW we see one more *Reason* for the Senate changing that executive 'appointment' rule to a simple majority for confirmations !!

They made such a big deal about Obama's appointments being held up.

So now they will be able to get exactly who they want onto that dreaded ObamaCare/Medicare panel that has been often referred to as a *Death Panel*.

The "Independent Payment Advisory Board" (IPAB) are the ones who will somehow determine 'cost' reductions for Medicare doctor reimbursement rates for Medicare.

This could be very dangerous !!

President Obama will have an easier time filling the 15 slots on a controversial Medicare-cutting board, thanks to Harry Reid's successful bid last week to overhaul the Senate's filibuster rules.

The Senate Democratic leader, in a pre-holiday surprise, last week corralled Democrats to drastically change how the Senate deals with presidential nominees. Instead of taking 60 votes to confirm most appointees, it will now take just 51.

That means, as long as Democrats are in power, it smoothes the way for Obama to appoint people to the panel established under ObamaCare to hold down Medicare costs.

Reid's filibuster overhaul clears way for White House to stack ObamaCare panel

"Death Panel" by way of "Economics" ?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

All I can say is, the Senate Republicans should have considered this when they insisted on a policy on non-stop filibustering as their primary tool to obstruct every single initiative presented by the Obama administration.

Hell, the way it is now, if President Obama came up with a 100% cure for cancer, the Senate Republicans would surely filibuster it.

It's a shame that it had to come to this point, but this didn't happen as a result of it being some kind of a hidden agenda on the part of Harry Reid. It happen because the Senate Republicans forced it on themselves and now they'll pay the price for their ignorance.

Personally, I'm glad that Reid had the balls to do it.

Edit to add; Seeing how I seem to be the first poster here, I just wanted to be clear. I wasn't the one who flagged this thread.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

In 2008 Reid said "changing the filibuster rule (nuclear option) would destroy America".

Ergo, Reid has self admitted that he (and the Dems) want to destroy America. Spin that

Perhaps if the Obama administration were advancing people that were qualified for the jobs, republicans wouldn't block so many.

Senator Obama voted against raising the debt ceiling (actually called it failure of leadership). He was not called a racist nor an obstructionist. Anyone who now votes against raising the debt ceiling is labeled as both. Plus, a terrorist, anarchist, and several other derogatory names.

Senator Obama addressed Congress in 2008 to lambast them on the perils of the "nuclear option". Today he is it's champion.

Democrats never change. Everything is a terrible idea, unless it's theirs. If they are going to profit from the rule change it is the best thing since sliced bread and the only way to defeat those dastardly republicans and their outdated constitution.

join