It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Deny Ignorance: Here is Why NASA isn't Hiding the Truth About NEOs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

That's the great thing. You don't have to trust them. You can get a telescope and check things out for yourself.
lol

Well that computer you're using right now is a direct result of the Space Race.

and how have computers improved the quality of life around the world?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

It was discovered by astronomers.

Apophis

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

"what the heck is actually going on?"

it's a whole bunch of things going on all at the same time. a master plan? probably not, but there's a lot going on that most people will never know about nor will they ever know they never knew about it. and ya know what? I won't quit my day job over it, but it ain't right to say we have free will (not saying you are) when we are in fact never given the whole truth and nothing but the truthhhhhhh.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

daryllyn

Apophis

aaaaaat a NATIONAL observatory lol

are you bored with this I am

edit on 28-11-2013 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

bottleslingguy

daryllyn

Apophis

aaaaaat a NATIONAL observatory lol

are you bored with this I am

edit on 28-11-2013 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

So what if it is "national"?

Not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Am I bored with this topic? Never. The turkey I had earlier is trying to make me take a nap.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Kepler,,Coupurnicus,, Tycho Braigh,,Newton,, would have given there, Hearts be be in our generation ,too witness such events,, and were bored,,,really.
such a generation,, there never was,,yaa

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Nasa is owned by the military, its not really a civilian space agency that's a fallacy. They military will never disclose anything to the public that disturbs their routine lives.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

AthlonSavage
Nasa is owned by the military, its not really a civilian space agency that's a fallacy. They military will never disclose anything to the public that disturbs their routine lives.

If you are referring to NEOs (which is the topic), NASA wouldn't have to disclose a thing. The international community of thousands of astronomers would do it for them.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

daryllyn
reply to post by JadeStar

Thank you for your contribution. It's always nice to run into like minded people.

This whole thing has inspired me beyond researching. I want to be one of those backyard astronomers that helps in the world wide effort to watch our skies. I know it's not something that can just be magically picked up but anything can be learned if one is willing to put forth the time and effort.

Actually, its like anything else, if you put the time in you will become a very good backyard astronomer. I highly recommend it. If you need any tips or just want to "talk shop" you can send me a private message here.

Basic astronomy can be done by anyone. It's not rocket science.
Beyond that you can get as complex as you want.

Think of it like complex needlepoint or salsa dancing (i've taken up both as hobbies and found it comparable to when i first got into astronomy).

For example there are amateur radio astronomers who have made radio maps of our Milky Way, monitor the solar cycle, even do SETI. There are other amateur astronomers who have built their own spectrographs, or interferometers even adaptive optics systems

And everything in between. I encourage anyone who ever was fascinated by this subject to get a good reflector telescope and a couple of good backyard astronomy books and download Stellarium.

www.stellarium.org...

In fact download it anyway and get familiar with the sky
then when you have a telescope with a motor control you can plug it in to your computer and stellarium will guide it to whatever you want to see/photograph.

You don't even have to own a telescope of your own. There are robotic telescopes you can control and use online. There's also stuff like www.zooniverse.org... which have many citizen science projects for everything from classifying galaxies to looking for extrasolar planets in the Kepler data to marking potential SETI signals which one can participate in.

Planethunters.org people found two planets so far named PH-1 and PH-2 respectively, so this is serious science

edit on 29-11-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I gotta lot of respect for the majority of the people who do extraordinary things to advance our knowledge, not a lot of respect or trust for the govt bureaucratic culture though. And the humanist in me makes me question what actual good it is doing for life here on Earth not just for me and my fascination with the stars.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

bottleslingguy
reply to post by daryllyn

looks like we have another Phage here folks!

this is from your Minor Planet link which is supposed to absolve NASA of any repsonsibility for what gets reported and what gets put on a shelf, "The Minor Planet Center derives its operating budget from a five-year NASA grant. "

why are you trying so hard to downplay the potential of NASA? If your backyard astronomers were such a formidable force on the astronomical playing field then why did we buy NASA a Hubble telescope?

Very interesting article here worth reading, seems to me to tie to Yales Skull and Bones. Part way down the page..

Werner Von Braun and the Meatball Pin
March 20, 2010
My former boss once told me an intriguing experience he had with Werner Von Braun.

astroengineer.wordpress.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
NASA are tracking NEO's using Sentry. Sentry is a highly automated, accurate, and robust system for continually updating the orbits, future close Earth approaches, and Earth impact probabilities for all Near-Earth Asteroids (NEAs).

NASA Sentry

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

5C5qz
NASA are tracking NEO's using Sentry. Sentry is a highly automated, accurate, and robust system for continually updating the orbits, future close Earth approaches, and Earth impact probabilities for all Near-Earth Asteroids (NEAs).

NASA Sentry

Yeah? And? Of course they have some cool toys.... they better considering the amount of money they have received.

It still doesn't change the role that the Minor Planet Center plays OR the role that the international community of astronomers play in the discovery, tracking, and observation of NEOs.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join