It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Deny Ignorance: The Not So Doom-y Truth About Comet ISON

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr1Akula

thats if the ratio of radius to mass of all fragments is the same. If the comet is a solid object uniform throughout then I agree.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
2 hours ago it ISON was 0.012 AU from the sun with a speed of 340km/h.
Now it's 0.020 AU from the sun and has a speed of 295km/h.

This don't make sense.
Explain this #.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I was doing some searches last night and found it over on those sources, too, and some message boards. It was late though, so I didn't post about it.

Sad that they had to lie to sensationalize an old quote. At only 3 days into being discovered, with few observations, no wonder he was unsure.

If that sensationalized bit were true, he would be certainly not be the only one to come to that conclusion.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

My brothers and sisters,

For all of you who think ISON is just a routine comet making a routine pass through our solar system, you're right.

That's all it is. Nothing more. Prophecies, Earth changes, a shift in consciousness? Nah.

Good luck, everyone.

See ya on the other side...

hiuth

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

hadituptohere

My brothers and sisters,

For all of you who think ISON is just a routine comet making a routine pass through our solar system, you're right.

That's all it is. Nothing more. Prophecies, Earth changes, a shift in consciousness? Nah.

Good luck, everyone.

See ya on the other side...

hiuth

Have a change of heart there, hadituptohere?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

yeahsurexxx
2 hours ago it ISON was 0.012 AU from the sun with a speed of 340km/h.
Now it's 0.020 AU from the sun and has a speed of 295km/h.

This don't make sense.
Explain this #.

Maybe a site glitch.

Latest data I see from the site below has it at 961,000 km/h & 0.025 AU from the sun. Speed & distance updating rapidly as it approaches the sun.

Comet ISON 2013 Data LIVE info

Perihelion in about 3.5 hours...
edit on 11/28/2013 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/28/2013 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The sad thing is that I fear that all the doomy nonsense about this comet might actually dissuade some people from actually going out to view it which is a shame.

It is very likely to be beautiful.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Latest LASCO C3 & LASCO C2 Images.

Getting closer...

LASCO C3

LASCO C2

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by iamea

it is like you are trying to convince yourselves that everything is normal because you can prove that this comet will not hit Earth.

Wrong thread love,

Maybe have a read of this one and respond accordingly

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

And because orbital calculations are so well tested, nobody has to take anybody's word for it. It is possible for any amateur astronomer to do their own observations with their own telescope and their own eyes, and calculate the orbit for themselves.

This little fact is what has given me scars on my forehead from beating my head against a wall seeing the posts about lies damn lies, how can you trust the maths, bla bla bla.

To take a page outta the chemtrailers handbook "just look up all you need are your eyes" and a telescope with basic knowledge of working formulas to calculate what your looking for.

Don't trust Never a straight answer, don't trust Phage.

Do it yourself or learn how to, its not forbidden.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

The comet was discovered a little over a year ago, not even by the people with greater math and super human tools paid for in tax dollars , they didn't even see it or discover it (or did they ? which really should be more troubling) an amateur had to (The comet was discovered by Vitali Nevski and Artyom Novichonok on September 21, 2012 using a 40-cm (16-inch) telescope in Russia ) roughly double strength as my relatively inexpensive Meade Telestar.

Remember the original post ? if so why did the great NASA not tell us a year or years before the amateurs? if we trust your math or the one you are regurgitating, NASA has known about it but kept quiet, now that really does sound like your comparison to deep impact, doesn't make much sense now does it ? for NASA studying the comet for 780 some odd days ?.. and it wasn't discovered until a little over a year ago and worse NASA funds them...really doesn't unless you have a feasible explanation.

daryllyn

So that public that NASA is 'hiding the truth' from... are part of the whole process from discovery, to observations, to calculations. How can it be hidden from the very people doing the legwork?

When a discovery is made — be it by amateur or professional — the first task is to gain enough observations of the object to ascertain its orbit. Once again, we see the international collaborative methods employed by modern science. Already, the cosmic cat’s out of the bag as observatories worldwide make follow up measurements. There are no secrets about Comet ISON that hundreds of astronomers could keep quiet

It isn't possible to hide this kind of information from the public because of the collaborative and world wide effort in finding and tracking objects. NASA funds the Minor Planet Center, which is where objects are reported, data is collected, and results made public. NASA actually has surprisingly little do with any of it, which is another very common misconception.

The story of the discovery of Comet ISON

What math was used to calculate the number of days you have listed? please let us know, apply deny ignorance and explain that, instead of reading, then regurgitating that as fact you know nothing of, the last time I checked there is roughly 365 days in a year and for a bonus you did not even subtract the government shut down from that.
Shame on you! I am not buying any of it, honestly please, deny ignorance and think for yourself.

edit on 28-11-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
With you 100% on this. If a comet/asteroid/etc was gonna hit, it'll be impossible to hide. with 1000's of astronomers watching the sky every night.

edit on 28-11-2013 by weemadalex because: spelling mistake.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Nice post, Daryllyn. Finally someone with common sense, logic and reasoning putting together a cohesive article.

S&F

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I'm actually surprised that there are those concerned of an impact with earth??
It will not hit the earth, and I have absolutely no concern whatsoever of this place. Now regarding other indirect effects on the our planet I'm not as certain..

I am hopeful it will make its pass around the sun intact enabling my son and I to view this together without having to wake him at 4:30am to do so. With this I say GO Ison..see you on the other side!

tom

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Thanks for your thread. Really good !

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

I wish I had my laptop with me so I could properly address this comment, but all I have is my iPhone at the moment, so it will have to wait until later :/

They can use the same numbers they use to calculate an orbit, to reverse calculate where it has been, even if they didn't see it at the time. They tracked one comet all the way back to something like 200 BC with this method.

It seems to me like you would rather find anything you can to discredit me, instead of actually fact checking the things I have said and the sources I have provided to see for yourself.

You are disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. If you don't want to look at this logically, and look at the facts that have been presented, I don't really know what more I can say to help you understand.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

noonebutme

Nice post, Daryllyn. Finally someone with common sense, logic and reasoning putting together a cohesive article.

S&F

Thank you... and thank you to all of those that have complimented me on the work I put into this thread. I didn't have the time to respond to each person individually to thank them... I apologize for that. This thread went well above and beyond what I expected when I posted it.

There have been a lot of amazing contributions as well, so a big thank you to the many who took the time to help support the assertions made in the OP.

Oh.. and, I hope everyone is having a happy thanksgiving

edit on 28pmThu, 28 Nov 2013 15:22:50 -060013ThursdayThursday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 28pmThu, 28 Nov 2013 15:45:46 -060013ThursdayThursday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by weemadalex

I really do not believe there were many or even any here that ever said the comet would hit earth, the main point of my posts and replies are that there is a likelihood parts of this comet could impact the earth in the form of what is left in the path of the debris field that we might pass through, I guess no one here even believes this is possible or will happen.

When there is evidence this is a possible outcome.

Any number of fragments at one time of a comet that equal or surpass the size of the meteor that made it through earths atmosphere will cause a panic and possibly a larger scale reaction anyone that cannot see this logic or possibility I am not sure what to say, we have had nothing of that magnitude happen at one time on the planet so no one knows the outcome really.

At any length regardless the comet as a whole possibly has been destroyed by the sun, so the great light show is probably not going to happen.

edit on 28-11-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Your theory about pieces hitting us was addressed earlier in the thread... a number of times.

The pieces don't spray off in multiple directions, nor do they stray too horribly far from the parent body's path. This is something that has been witnessed previously. If it were totally unknown to us scientifically, then maybe there would be cause for concern.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

When there is evidence this is a possible outcome.

What evidence?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join