It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis rips capitalism and trickle-down economics to shreds in new policy statement

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It seems Good Old Pope Frank has some words for capitalists:

Source

“As long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world’s problems or, for that matter, to any problems,” the pope said in the 224-page document that essentially serves as his official platform.

“I am interested only in helping those who are in thrall to an individualistic, indifferent and self-centered mentality to be freed from those unworthy chains and to attain a way of living and thinking which is more humane, noble and fruitful, and which will bring dignity to their presence on this earth,” the pope wrote.

“Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world,” Pope Francis wrote. “This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system.”

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy this new pope? I worry that conservatives in the US though will see him as a black sheep of sorts, ruining or making their religion more modern or progressive.

I would suggest that they take a good look at what Jesus had to say about all this and realize that the Pope has simple re-iterated those remarks in one way or another during his last 6 months of really shaking things up in the religious community at large.

What do you think ATS? Will the Pope coming down hard on the economy and those who run it, continue to erode the power of the Vatican in the US and abroad?

~Tenth

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I like what he says, but Ill watch what he does.

The Vatican has some massive resources they are sitting on, lets seem them sell their land holdings and riches, and give it to the poor.

You know, like what Christ said.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

benrl
I like what he says, but Ill watch what he does.

The Vatican has some massive resources they are sitting on, lets seem them sell their land holdings and riches, and give it to the poor.

You know, like what Christ said.

Excellent policy - but it's a start....

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I don't give a damn what the pope thinks about anything; especially economics.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Oh boy, I can see the threads now:

The New Pope is a Communist!
Pontiff Pol Pot!
The Obama-Pope Francis NWO
Is the Pope doing to the Catholic Church what Obama is doing to America?
Will the new Pope-mobile be a Prius?

I like this Pope a lot more than the last one.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have to say, I like the man. Probably because I like "rattling" the cage too. However... Some question's and a postulation

Has a pope ever prior acted the way our current is?

Has a pope ever been assasinated?

My postulation: This pope might be rattling the cages a little to much, and at the current speed of him doing so could very well mark himself as a target of potential assasination.

I could be way off here, just a postulation, this thought just came to mind with his recent actions can literally be taken as he's "the white knight"

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Carlo Azeglio Ciampi attempted to assassinate Pope John Paul II in 1981.

From Wikipedia

Chronological list of popes murdered[edit]

Stephen VI (896–897): Strangled[11]
Stephen VIII/(IX) (939–942): Mutilated[citation needed]
John XII (955–964): Presumed murdered
Benedict VI (973–974): Strangled[12]
John XIV (983–984): Either by starvation, ill-treatment or direct murder[13]
Gregory V (996–999): Poisoned[citation needed]
Chronological list of popes who are alleged to have been murdered[edit]

John VIII (872–882): Allegedly poisoned and then clubbed to death[14]
Adrian III (884–885): Allegedly poisoned[citation needed]
Leo V (903): Allegedly strangled[15]
John X (914–928): Allegedly smothered with pillow[16]
Stephen VII/(VIII) (929–931): Allegedly murdered[citation needed]
Sergius IV (1009–1012): Allegedly murdered[citation needed]
Clement II (1046–1047): Allegedly poisoned[17]
Damasus II (1048): Allegedly murdered[citation needed]
John XXI (1276-1277): While visiting the construction of a church, the roof collapsed on him, leading to conspiracy theories
Celestine V (1294, died 1296): Held captive and allegedly murdered after his abdication, by order of his successor, Pope Boniface VIII[18]
Boniface VIII (1294–1303): Death possibly (though unlikely) from the effects of ill-treatment one month before[19]
Benedict XI (1304–1305): Allegedly poisoned; no evidence provided[citation needed]
Pius XI (1922-1939): Allegedly (though unlikely), in connection with his doctor's having been the father of Benito Mussolini's mistress
John Paul I (1978): Death just 33 days after Papal election led to conspiracy theories[20]

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

Thank you!!! I will have to look into it more regarding your reference, since you are a knowledgable regarding said question, do you think what I postulated in regards to an assasination attempt likely on the Pope???

I just find it odd... To coincidental, he's an impressive pope to say the least, I'm not Catholic but I'm happy he is where he is.... That being said, Obama closing a embassy because it's "too dangerous", and the other list of threads about him, something just smells fishy....

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I really don't think the Pope should be throwing rocks while he is living inside a glass house.

Vatican banking scandal...
Vatican's refusal on child molestation over the years...

to name just a few scandals...

For a religious person I would have thought he would know the old adage don't judge unless ye be judged yourself.

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Normally I'd agree with you, but it does seem like this Pope is trying to genuinely change things. He's thrown out a cardinal for over spending, he's criticized pastors and sects for harping on social issues that have no real merit and now he's preaching the help the poor mantra.

Far more in a short period of time than any Pope I remember.

So I don't do this often, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Until he says or does something that really just shows he's keeping the status quo while attempting to look progressive, I'm on his side.

And I'm an agnostic Atheist.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I really don't think the Pope should be throwing rocks while he is living inside a glass house.

Vatican banking scandal...
Vatican's refusal on child molestation over the years...

to name just a few scandals...

For a religious person I would have thought he would know the old adage don't judge unless ye be judged yourself.

Seems a little short sighted on your part. He has not been in position very long and is trying to make changes..

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
What countries economy is capitalistic?

What country uses a trickle down theory?

Name one!

It sure as hell isn't America, not anymore.

Though when it was, it brought more people the world over, out of poverty than any other form of economics.

No amount of top down iron fisted economic planning will do what America accomplished in its first 200 years.

I wouldn't even be typing on this iPhone if it weren't for capitalism.

Capitalism is BOSS!
edit on 26-11-2013 by bjax9er because: Edit

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

WOW. You gotta love this guy. No matter what your religious view may or may not be.

He better be careful though. I'm afraid they may try to take him out.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Like with any politician.
Don't listen to what he says. Look at what he's done.
That will tell you where he's going.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

I agree with you on a personal level but at the same time think that his mindset is an influential factor for others that do not seem think by themselves, even delegating it to this type of figures.

In any case I agree with his conclusion a) individualism only benefit some of the individuals at the cost of others because of basic human nature b) the current economic system is extremely unfair especially for those that have no economic power and because of this setup it is the light that all pursue above all else, to the detriment of all even those so illuded...

edit on 26-11-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
"Francis is the first Jesuit pope"

interesting. very very interesting at this time, to have a jesuit on the throne of the vatican.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

Yes, very. What I'm wondering is, being a Jesuit, is he in reality under the authority of the Black Pope?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

That title--if that is what he more or less said--would be hilarious if true. There we have, the Pope sitting at the head of a gigantic and successful money-making operation for hundreds of years that trickles down--not money--but mere words of future promises to the underclass.

That gimmick for robbery makes the "trickle down" politicians look like pikers. And if you want to claim that the situation is not the same, I would ask that you back up, lay aside, labels and merely look at the operations that both of those systems conduct. Basically, they are selling the idea of unproven, if not false, promises to one and all. By that analysis, they are exactly the same, one side with better tactics than the other.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

bjax9er
What countries economy is capitalistic?

What country uses a trickle down theory?

Name one!

It sure as hell isn't America, not anymore.

Though when it was, it brought more people the world over, out of poverty than any other form of economics.

No amount of top down iron fisted economic planning will do what America accomplished in its first 200 years.

I wouldn't even be typing on this iPhone if it weren't for capitalism.

Capitalism is BOSS!
edit on 26-11-2013 by bjax9er because: Edit

You are right. If we had a system that worked I would probably not had to type the information at all since I would have had a telepathic/wireless connection to exchange this information. I am myself a perfect example of a human who during this life have first part of my life not had use for my potential in the workplace since the systems actively was in the way of letting me in. And in the second half overused my potential without getting anything real valuable back from the system but a lot of stress.

This whole system makes you want to contribute to humanity as little as possible since if we create more technology it will just be used against the people from NSA and their corporate masters.
edit on 26-11-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join