It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 Gallons of Oil Now Leaking Into Mississippi River!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

A tanker carrying 100,000 gallons of oil hit a submerged object Monday night and is now leaking into the mighty river.

When is this bull**** going to end? Must we kill off all species of animals before we change our ways? I'm not trying to sound like a tree hugging hippie, but Jesus!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Recently I was in a thread discussing the Keystone XL pipeline. A poster was violently opposed to it, saying shipping by tanker was much safer. Now I understand. Every method of transporting oil is far more dangerous than every other method, so they must all be stopped.

Oil itself must be abandoned, coal may not be used, trees can't be burnt, we can't use natural gas because of fracking. Nuclear is obviously out.

Everybody must convert to windmills and solar right away. Oh, wait. windmills are the largest manmade cause of Golden Eagle deaths (a felony if anybody else even has a feather, but windfarms are somehow excused). Multiple hundreds of thousands of birds and bats are killed by them each year, and now they're being shown to have an adverse effect on humans. On top of that, they all operate at a financial loss.

Well, it looks like everybody has to rely on sunlight for their power. A little tough when you're in a region that sometimes gets less than ten hours of sunlight in a day. (Less in Alaska)

But it's for the environment! Models which haven't been able to predict anything correctly yet, say we'll be sorry in 100 years if we don't change our lightbulbs now.

Just had a thought. If sea levels rise, what does that do to the Middle-East? C'mon boys, burn that coal.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
That is horse crap! How do these mega corporations shipping millions of gallons, making billions of dollars, not have funding to prevent such catastrophes from happening???? This is absolutely disgusting and sad for the environment.

I hope they get nailed with punitive damages for this disaster!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
What do you whiners use for heating and cooking?

Where does your electric power originate?

Do you drive a car?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

You want them to dredge the Mississippi on a monthly basis to avoid submerged objects? How else do you prevent it?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Why can't they put some refineries up farther closer to the oil. Seems to me hauling it all down to Texas and then back up is a problem. I guess those in Texas do not want to invest in northern states. They want their people making good money.
edit on 26-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Ah, thank you.

You want to build more refineries. Good for you. We can talk to our President and the EPA about getting permits for building new refineries, which will be allowed to come on line IN ABOUT TEN YEARS.

freedombytheway.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

charles1952
Well, it looks like everybody has to rely on sunlight for their power. A little tough when you're in a region that sometimes gets less than ten hours of sunlight in a day. (Less in Alaska)

In Scotland we get 13 minutes of sunlight a day and we don't even get to see it because we are in our beds suffering from a whisky induced hangover.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by angryhulk

Dear angryhulk,

But isn't it worth it knowing you're living in the Blessed Isles? Is it still as beautiful as I have always imagined? Is it true that Glenlivet 12 year is tolerated, but isn't seen as one of the really good ones? Is it true that the UK in general thinks those windfarms are taxpayer draining, incredibly ugly and intrusive, and nearly useless, while they drive those nearby bonkers?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hmm strange how the name of the company it belongs to isn't names in the source article.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I read the article as stating just the tugboat sank. I think they carry 2500 to 5000 gallons of marine diesel fuel and that is what's probably leaking. If one of those barges cracks open, then that's a mess. Need more info...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Everything oil does, Hemp does and does it better.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Looks like I'm wrong, the Stephen Colby carries 89,000 gallons of diesel fuel according to another posting I found.

Here's a picture of it:

www.towboatgallery.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Tusks
What do you whiners use for heating and cooking?

Where does your electric power originate?

Do you drive a car?

Wow. No sir. I live in a box and walk everywhere. I use no oil, gas or electricity. I eat only grass clippings and wipe my ass with leaves. Jesus. I get your point. Sorry us whiners are concerned about the environment. My name is catfish Joe and guess what? I love me some catfish, which the Mississippi river is quite full off.....along with a bull shark or two. So I won't whine anymore next time I hear about a oil spill. By the way I'm in dire need of some leaves.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

JHumm

That is true. You can take a trip without even leaving the farm

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

JHumm

I've been hearing about hemp quite a bit recently. I think it has a bad reputation due to people believing its weed. If they would just study up on it I think they would be surprised.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hemp is not only nutritious and protein packed but can be used for biodiesel fuel production, clothing, substitute for plastics and Styrofoam, used in housing production (stronger than concrete). Contrary to popular belief, it is legal to grow it in the US if there's no chance you can get high on it. Regulated to the nth degree and you'll be subject to frequent inspections to ensure complicity to the letter of the law but hemp can and should be utilized.

It's a perfectly "green" solution to many of our technical-age issues. And if it got dumped in the Mississippi, the fish would thank you.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Everybody must convert to windmills and solar right away. Oh, wait. windmills are the largest manmade cause of Golden Eagle deaths (a felony if anybody else even has a feather, but windfarms are somehow excused). Multiple hundreds of thousands of birds and bats are killed by them each year, and now they're being shown to have an adverse effect on humans. On top of that, they all operate at a financial loss.

You forgot radiological and chemical pollution.

www.dailymail.co.uk...< br />
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

charles1952
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

You want them to dredge the Mississippi on a monthly basis to avoid submerged objects? How else do you prevent it?

I am no scientist, but if scientists can fly a man to the moon, a rover to mars, then I am sure they can figure out some technology to use on the prevention of oil spills.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Take a ride down Route 3 in Granite City friend.

It sucks that oil is directly leaking in the river but,

What about every other company that is constantly puking contaminants in the environment day in and day out.

Coal companies, ethanol plants, Granite City Steel. The whole stretch of the mighty Miss is a dump.

Don't take my word for it, take a drive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join