It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ISON in trouble?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The news is that there’s evidence that Comet ISON may be disintegrating, as it hurtles toward the sun’s intense heat.

"We observe consistent, rapid fading of the molecular emission lines between Nov. 21 and Nov. 25 by at least a factor of 20. This may indicate that the nucleus is now at best marginally active or that... it no longer exists," says Michal Drahus of Caltech.

This would be a disappointing turn of events, to say the least. Although they seem not sure yet, it sure doesn't look well.

spaceweather.com...

earthsky.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
ISON is hurtling toward the sun at a rate of 6 million miles a day.

As it gets closer to the sun, it goes faster. When it reaches perihelion the day after tomorrow, it will encounter such huge forces as it rounds the sun that I don't believe it could stay together.

The centrifugal force will be immense.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismir

It's fine! He will do it!!

I'm sure!

SNC

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Better not tell Cheesy

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Yeah...poor, poor Cheesy.

He'll be crushed..(cheesy and Ison probably)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
remember that ISON is a comet associated with the new Pope Francis...

and whatever happens with ISON will be a fore-shadowing of what the Pope Francis term will be like....

(look up the Last Pope prophecies to see what might happen to both ISON & Francis)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
You can do it Ison!

Kick that suns ass, slap and run biiitch do iiiiiiiiiit

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Better ISON in trouble than we. Sad if there is no show in the sky though

edit on 26-11-2013 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

In trouble? Disappointing?

It's an icy rock.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

.... LOL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Ison got hit with heavy x flare, it stripped the tail back and widened it. It also split ison into at least three pieces. But ison is massive, nasa has been not telling the truth about it so don't listen to them. Since the x fare hit ison has begun to build back up the electrical potential, we will see if it has time to rebuild before it's dive around the sun.

SDO is going to shift their cameras on the twenty eighth so we should get great shots. It should be fantastic. We will see how it makes out. One thing for sure we should know on the 29 how bad it will be for us.

At the very least we are going to get showered with objects from the huge tail.

Check out bpearthwatch on YouTube, he puts out the best down and dirty vids.

The Bot

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Maybe it is just an asteroid/comet hybrid. It may just start acting like an asteroid does from now on. I don't think that NASA or any other organization can see inside of a comet. It could have had a coating like a comet but still be an asteroid can't it?

If it is in trouble does that mean it is pregnant

edit on 26-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

dlbott

Ison got hit with heavy x flare, it stripped the tail back and widened it. It also split ison into at least three pieces. But ison is massive, nasa has been not telling the truth about it so don't listen to them.

Check out bpearthwatch on YouTube, he puts out the best down and dirty vids.

The Bot

Firstly... BPEarthwatch is NOT a reliable source. Down and dirty, indeed.

Secondly.... NASA is not lying about the size. People are confused, and people like BPEarthwatch are spreading misinformation, which is not helping.

The size of the nucleus (which is what is listed on JPL and other sources) is very different from the size of the coma.... which is where the confusion comes in. Its not exceptionally large by comet standards in the least.

The size of comet ISON and its trajectory were calculated from over 6400 separate observations over more than a year's time... you can bet that neither is off by much.

There is a wealth of information out there, from reliable sources, and why anyone would choose to listen to random youtube videos over actual data, from tried and true methods and sources...... is beyond me.
edit on 26pmTue, 26 Nov 2013 14:54:46 -060013TuesdayTuesday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

There is a wealth of information out there, from reliable sources, and why anyone would choose to listen to random youtube videos over actual data, from tried and true methods and sources...... is beyond me.

But it's far easier to access YouTube and listen to someone tell me all about NASA lying than it is to read through pages and pages of text.

ISON may not survive the solar passage and this has always been known, but if it does, wow. We could be in for a treat.
edit on 26/11/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: Typo

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Observers from the Northern Hemisphere are best located to view ISON in the early mornings before and after it passes its perihelion. Those in the Southern Hemisphere may be able to view the comet low in the east at dawn until November 28.

www.timeanddate.com...

I'd love to see this comet
Hopefully it survives.
If it does, I'll have to drag my butt out of bed really early.....

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
feel like im the only one that wants it to hurl to its own demise and be done with it ...
I know the general consensus is theres absolutely no reason for any panic here on earth ... But id still just feel better if the sun obliterates and swallows it ...

wonder what would happen to the fragments if it breaks up ... I guess / hope they would just get pulled in and swallowed up

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing thread...

all! lets watch the realtime Ison journey meet the sun..provide by NASA!

Thanks

top topics

join