It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prof corrects minority students’ capitalization accused of racism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
We must have a lot of Racists on ATS, there's a ton of Grammar Nazi's!!! /wakka wakka /end sarcasm

Seriously, this is the exact problem with the world.

Keep the sheep fighting! Well done, well done...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Prof corrects minority students’ capitalization, is accused of racism

Remember: Leftists are certainly not actively attempting to dumb down the population to the point where the majority of citizens will fall for leftist nonsense.

It's true, just ask any leftist. They'll tell you.

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
He isn't a racist, those kids are obviously just stupid. End of story, no other valid information needs to be obtained here.

I think it's racist to have a society specifically for one group of people of color.

I think it's racist to have special funds set up for certain colored people to go to school.

It is all BS, there should be NO differing one person from another regardless of skin color. No one should get more advantages over anyone else because of the color of their skin, that's just retarded.

That's like saying "I deserve to get a billion dollars because I like to pet animals"

Someone wake me up when humanity grows up, I'm allergic to stupid, and this is giving me a horrible reaction.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Oh, somebody was asking about "micro-aggression?" That's perfectly acceptable. John Kerry was talking about that when he was predicting an "Unbelievably small" strike on Syria. It's aggression so small that you can't even believe it's that small. You will see the idea of "micro-" popping up all over.

Terms such as "Micro-economic improvement," "Micro-world respect," etc. Oh, you'll be seeing it all over. Even the Islamic countries are starting to refer to us as "Micro-Satan."

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Martin Luther King, James Bevel, Rosa Parks and the rest of the people who really made a difference in America's culture would be giving themselves and each other nonstop face palms and forehead slaps hearing that today's college students are holding a sit-in (a sit-in of all things) because a professor corrected student's capitalization and where they put their commas. Jeez, the guy was just trying to teach them something about how to write. Those students should be laughed out of the building. Ah, Jim Bevel, where are you when we need you? Dead. But if he wasn't dead this newest sit-in concept might have killed him (from laughter).

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I like how call 2 action used out epistemology and methodology are being questioned all quarter by the professor. Not sure they are using the terms correctly. Is he trying to be smart and use those terms to describe educational persuit? Just dies t seem like the proper way to use those terms. Methodology ? What? going to school learning things in the agreed upon manner in line with everyone else goes against your educational methodology? Maybe college isn't right for you. Epistemology usually refered to the philosophy of where knowledge is gained. What's the authors intended meaning when he used the term. Sorta sounded out of context.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

He makes up a word called micro aggression now he's prescribing his own meaning to actual words and using them in pseudo context. Sounds like a real genius to me. Beginning to get a clearer picture if what's going on here.

Also love how the same student who tho is all of the works is against him as if as one person he was important enough to warrant such gets into an argument with a white student in class over the term oppression because according to hi only black people have experienced oppression. What arrogance abd ignorance. It's also kinda lazy. Howed this guy even get into ucla?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Dear BASSPLYR,

You're right to object to the use of those words. They don't do anything to refine or develop the information. They would have been served just as well by saying "We don't get enough credit for the work we put into learning."

But there is another purpose in choice of words. I don't know if they were doing it intentionally, but it's possible they were trying to send a "hidden" message.

1.) "We're smart people," or

2.) "We can write just like our professors do, they use those words all the time, we're on their level," or

3.) "We've learned how far we can get by being "Real good talkers."

Language is a tricky thing.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
What a surprise... this kind of thing happens all the time and it's clearly insane, when are people going to wake up? When are they going to realize that political correctness is a tool of oppression?

These people are coining ridiculous new words all the time, this crap is obviously newspeak and they are the definition of useful idiots. They have no conception of self-distance or awareness of how they are being manipulated, they are merely emotional robots reacting to outside influences, it's way too easy and convenient to be a victim instead of owning up to your own flaws and mistakes, especially when the real truth would obliterate their worldview on so many levels.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I'm just curious If the professor only made corrections on minorities papers. It doesn't say. If that were the case, then they may have a point.

CJ

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

So using the "Micro" analogy, John Kerry meant something like this:
    We want to use a "Micro-aggressive" strike against Syria, basically we're just going to "Micro-pop" them in the nose in hopes of a domestic "Micro-economic improvement" thereby shrinking us from a full Satanic level to the "Micro-Satan" level in the eyes of Islam. If we (US) gain a smidgen of "Micro-world respect" we'll call it good.

edit on 028pm2121pm52013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is so laughable it is sad.

Rust admitted that he likely made matters worse by not aggressively and proactively taking the side of a minority student who was engaged in an argument with a white female student. The minority student told the woman that she had no right to feel oppressed, and Rust did not express agreement either way.

“Two weeks ago a Student of Color and a white female student got into a big discussion,” said Rust. “She wants to use Standpoint Theory [a method of analysis coined by feminist sociologist Dorothy Smith, based on the idea that all knowledge is subjective and based on one's position in society] in her dissertation, and the Student of Color told her she had no business claiming that she was a member of an oppressed group.”

So the professor is neutral during an in-class debate. Later he feels he made matters worse because he did not side with the minority student?!? Come on. What is this country coming to. And the arrogance of the "Student of Color" is horrendous. Who the hell is that person to tell the female how she should feel? How she should identify herself? I am ecstatic that my college years were in a more rational era.

The report urged the university to strengthen its bias incident response procedures and hire a Discrimination Officer.

A Discrimination Officer? I am rendered speechless at the amazingly low amount of self-esteem and confidence displayed by some people today.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

luciddream
Im trying to find an unbiased news source, can anyone point me to one that is not republican/conservative based?

The story seems more than meets the eye.

I agree. If this isn't a legit article than this nothing more than a smear campaign.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Give. Me. A. Break.

It is the job of a teacher, kindergarten or college professor to teach. If that means correcting grammar and punctuation, then so be it. I am so sick and tired of the race card being played every time someone doesn't like something, or something doesn't go someone's way. Because of this, they make themselves look bad and turn many against them for shouting racism. Why, I would even bet that as a white female, they would not let me join their group of color.

Besides, I also wonder in this day and age of computers and electronics, why one doesn't use spell check? I would not think that in college people are still turning in handwritten assignments.

Again, give me a break.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

ColoradoJens
reply to post by Bassago

I'm just curious If the professor only made corrections on minorities papers. It doesn't say. If that were the case, then they may have a point.

CJ

I looked for that too. Couldn't find anything.
He's not doing his job if he's not correcting everyone on everything.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Doesn't really matter either way, the reality of the situation is that these types of things happen all the time. Even if this particular story is false it is at the very least plausible and the ideologies and mentalities underlying the story is certainly very real.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

What these black students must realise-they are at college to improve their knowledge and education,just like students of any other race.Playing the race cards may get you out of one problem,but will never get you out of all of the problems life will throw at you as you get older+have to deal in the real world.What if all the students of every other race had to play some kind of card to avoid being corrected+learn the correct way of doing something.A huge waste of their parents money,student loans to be paid back for learning next to nothing..uuugh you know I get so sick of this #-this race card bs have to stop-it hurts everybody,it hurts society-its insanity and it certainly does not help the black individual in question.Would you rather put on your big girl/guy underwear-and learn what you or your parents paid for,to educate yourself-or sit in a corner whining about some imaginary slight+be a victim in your own mind.I quite frankly despair at the future of society.I am sick of the pathetiv race card being played and I am sick of the idiots indulging the ones playing the race card! This pathetic,cowardly imbecility has to stop.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

We were warned 2,000 years ago that this era would be characterized by folks

calling good evil

and evil good

black called white and white called black etc.

Certainly the inmates ARE in charge of the asylum.

May God have mercy on those with a shred of sanity and integrity left.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

rangersdad
reply to post by Bassago

Well if this students "friends" are going to create a hostile atmosphere for learning, then the student should either be given an incomplete or a "F!!!!"
There is no reason that the instructor and other students should have to be in that hostile situation.

Bingo.
Call 2 action needs 2 B shown the door, the whole lot of them.
No reason at all for Colleges to put up with racial ignorance or junior high level English skills.
If they think that was an act of racism boy do I have some history to show them!
edit on 27-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

BASSPLYR
epistemology and methodology

It was a sesquipedalian extravaganza extrapolating mouthfuls of meaningless dichotomous diatribe to excuse their extracurricular extroversion.
know what I'm saying?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join