It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second Black Hole Found in Milky Way's Center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Surprising Second Black Hole Found in Milky Way's Center
By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
posted: 15 November 2004
06:23 am ET

Astronomers think they have found a rare if not unique black hole very near the center of the Milky Way. That would make two of the beasts in that part of the galaxy.

The discovery also adds weight to the idea that black holes come in three sizes, essentially small, medium and large.

Stellar black holes -- the remains of collapsed stars, are common. They typically harbor as much mass as a few suns. And for years, scientists have known there are supermassive black holes in many galaxies; one with the mass of more than three million suns anchors the Milky Way.

The newly detected object appears to be an intermediate mass black hole, packing about 1,300 solar masses.

Intermediate mass black holes ought to exist, some theorists say, because they should have been the building blocks of supermassive black holes. A few should be left scattered around any respectable galaxy. But attempts to discover them -- data suggest two others exist in our galaxy -- have so far proved inconclusive.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I thought this was pretty cool. Another black hole found in the center of our galaxy. I had no idea that black holes came in three different sizes, goes to sho you learn something new every day.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Neat. I'm hoping in the afterlife all the secrets of the universe will be revealed. I have a friend who claims he had a vision/out of body experience. He says he was given total understanding of everything (black holes, dna, you name it) and he remembers thinking, "my God...how simple it all is...why hasn't mankind figured this out?!". Of course as soon as he awoke, the knowledge slipped away...but not the feeling of simplicity in perfection. Black holes are one of millions of intriguing mysteries in our universe that one day, in this life or the next, will be fully understood.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
you and your friends need to stay off the crack

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

He says he was given total understanding of everything (black holes, dna, you name it) and he remembers thinking, "my God...how simple it all is...why hasn't mankind figured this out?!". Of course as soon as he awoke, the knowledge slipped away...but not the feeling of simplicity in perfection.

Interestingly enough, this is commonly reported from those who've done AP (Astral Projection)...

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
May I suggest you study chaos math? The concept of Strange Attractors is especially interesting when you watch small effects spawn larger macro effects.

Personally I think there are at most 2-3 base rules that operate the entire universe. These rules apply to 1-2 types of particles (of which there almost an infinite number) that we have not yet discovered (although I feel string theory is on the right track). Everything else in the universe is a result of the interaction of these particles.

Iterative models are the most powerful computational forces we have discovered, so complex we have no hope of pre-calculating even simple things like the weather with our most advanced computers. (and the weather IS simple when you try to do things like calculate atoms in a star, photon packet interaction in the solar system, let alone the grand fractal that is the universe).

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

He says he was given total understanding of everything (black holes, dna, you name it) and he remembers thinking, "my God...how simple it all is...why hasn't mankind figured this out?!".

Interestingly enough, this is commonly reported from those who've done AP (Astral Projection)...

In psychedelic drug users it is called the Peak Experience. The realization that everything is connected (often refered to as an Oceanic feeling) and that it is blindingly simple to understand, but at the same time nearly impossible to explain to someone that has not experienced it because of our conditioning of thinking in Words or Language that limits understanding.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
In psychedelic drug users it is called the Peak Experience. The realization that everything is connected (often refered to as an Oceanic feeling) and that it is blindingly simple to understand, but at the same time nearly impossible to explain to someone that has not experienced it because of our conditioning of thinking in Words or Language that limits understanding.

Mescalin namely, just finished reading The Doors Of Perception again for about the 5th time. Your description fits in nicely.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It's interesting, i didnt even know they officially confirmed the existance of blackholes, but thats great. I imagine theres alot more than 2 in the milky way though.

-

Originally posted by OpenMinded
Neat. I'm hoping in the afterlife all the secrets of the universe will be revealed. I have a friend who claims he had a vision/out of body experience. He says he was given total understanding of everything (black holes, dna, you name it) and he remembers thinking, "my God...how simple it all is...why hasn't mankind figured this out?!". Of course as soon as he awoke, the knowledge slipped away...but not the feeling of simplicity in perfection. Black holes are one of millions of intriguing mysteries in our universe that one day, in this life or the next, will be fully understood.

Exactly the same happened to me, and i don't do drugs

Vorta

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I too belive that there is a simple 'base' equation in which everthing can be described (most likely not the soul, god, and contionous). Problaby looks like y=mx+b. That would absolutly blow my mind.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Cool, but kinda scary that we've got another one!

new topics

top topics

join