It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only the Future Exists

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

About time frames and framerates

”real time” exist only ’now’ , and that’s the only timeframe that the brain can record data from and convert into ‘conscious’ data. That is also the only timeframe that allows us to interact with the physical world around us.
The past exists as fragmented copies of whatever the brain has recorded and stored in the long term memory about it. The future is thoughts , plans, predictions or daydreams (etc.) that the brain produces of ; what the ‘Me’ either wants to happen , wait for to happen or plan for to happen.

I know many people (before me) has done some calculations about how much data the brain collect and turns into conscious data every second. These kind of calculations can never be accurate , but if we compare with the ‘state of the art’ technology that is available on the marked today, there are televisions and cameras that now support a resolution of 4K (4096 x 2160) and even more. If we assume 3D images , true color and a framerate of at least 48 (FPS) , that means that that such a television would need to handle roughly 1,2 GB worth of data every second. This gives us an idea of what modern technology can do.

The brain probably handle a lot more data than that. Probably as much as ten times this amount or even more.
But what is going on in the brain when this never ending stream of data is recorded? IMV. Three major components in the brain are working on them simultaneously. Those components are the ‘Consciousness’ , ‘The Me’ and ‘The Self’.

The brain component that deals with consciousness is probably a component that is shared between the ‘Me’ and the ‘Self’, but it is eventually controlled by the ‘Me’. It displays the incoming data for the ‘Me’ as like we would watch a movie. If we shut our eyes , we would only get data from the other senses.

The ‘Self’ (which is the processor) processes the data instantly and stores most of the data in the short time memory, until sleep takes place. Besides processing the endless stream of conscious data , the processor (The Self) will in addition be busy interrupting and contacting the ‘Me’ with other processing as well, as it is capable of multitasking. This processing can be any issues related to the conscious (current) data , data from the past or data related to the future . Because the ‘Me’ and the ‘Self’ is designed with some sort of built in ‘inner voice’ , the dialog between the ‘Me’ and the ‘Self’ is sensed like it is some sort of inner dialog taking place. If the ‘Self’ detects conscious data that needs the ‘Me’ or the brains operating system to take some kind of immediately action or detects danger, everything else will be interupted, as such events has always highest priority.

This inner dialog can also be reversed. That means that it is the ‘Me’ that contacts the ‘Self’ and not the other way around. It Is the ‘Me’ that eventually controls the ‘Self’ , but as we have discussed earlier. The technique that is needed to control the ‘Self’ are hard to master. The ‘Me’ which is the ‘End user’ is also the component that builds personality (the person we become) . It will asks for serviced from the ‘Me’ whenever it needs answers or something analyzed. Questions from the ‘Me’ to the ‘Self’ has always higher priority than the other way around.

If all the above is true, The ‘Self’ (The processor) must have an extremely huge capacity. However. There are many things that influence the speed of this processor , either it is in a positive or bad way. The same thing also goes for the components that collects and produce the consciousness. There are many things that influence the level of consciousness. If the level of consciousness is somehow degraded the data that it receives and display is of lesser quality and thus the processing of these data gets degraded too. It’s probably like watching a low resolution movie versus a high resolution movie. The better the quality of the data is , the more details we get.

The smallest amount of time the brain can detect from the now is (if this all is true) one single frame of conscious data.

Anyway. This are my taught and ideas. However it works. It’s pretty damned interesting issues though. Don’t you think?

edit on 26-11-2013 by helius because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2013 by helius because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2013 by helius because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2013 by helius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I'm going to say they all exist. Why? Because it's very very very very small. There's plenty of room for the past and present and future to sit together comfortably. Occasionally, one gets the napoleon complex, but it eventually rights itself.
edit on 27-11-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Quantum mechanics inherently demonstrates that there is no such thing as fate or destiny

This is not true. As is extremely well understood, quantum mechanics predicts, and experiment demonstrates, a calculable degree of randomness in processes occurring at the scale of molecules, atoms or subatomic particles. However, the amount of randomness gets smaller as the scale gets bigger. By the time you get to something that's more than a few molecules in length, the randomness has pretty much disappeared and physical processes have become very deterministic.

Chance never ceases to be a factor, of course, but events are very predictable — because they are predetermined by other events we call 'causes'. In our world, for example, whales don't suddenly drop out of the sky. In a world where quantum randomness existed at large scales, they might. Anything might happen, no matter how unlikely.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

It has been experimentally proven that all time (past, present & future) exist simultaneously and statically.

Do you mean this (more explanation here)? It's very dodgy; actually, despite the sales-talk in the abstract, it proves only that time does not exist to an observer outside the universe — an observer who, from our point of view, can never be known to exist. Within the universe, the appearance of temporality, illusive though it may be, is perfect.

As you may read in my first post in the thread, I pretty much agree with the proposition that all states of the universe exist in superposition. But I know of no experiment that 'proves' this; indeed I cannot think how one could possibly design an experiment to investigate it.

There is strong theoretical evidence that it is the case, but experimental proof? I don't think so.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

There is motion and rest eternally.
The resting aspect is the observer and the motion is that which appears. That which appears moves and is scene - that which is at rest is not seen ever because it is seeing.
The seer and seen are the two aspects of the one.
edit on 27-11-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

ChaoticOrder

It has been experimentally proven that all time (past, present & future) exist simultaneously and statically.

Experimentally proven? More like theoretically asserted... can you name the experiment you are referring to?

Here's a link: medium.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Astyanax

Do you mean this (more explanation here)? It's very dodgy; actually, despite the sales-talk in the abstract, it proves only that time does not exist to an observer outside the universe — an observer who, from our point of view, can never be known to exist. Within the universe, the appearance of temporality, illusive though it may be, is perfect.

As you may read in my first post in the thread, I pretty much agree with the proposition that all states of the universe exist in superposition. But I know of no experiment that 'proves' this; indeed I cannot think how one could possibly design an experiment to investigate it.

There is strong theoretical evidence that it is the case, but experimental proof? I don't think so.

Yeah, that was what I was referring to.

Agreed, it isn't the full answer, but it is the most rigorous theory applicable to the problem of time.

edit on 27/11/2013 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Chance never ceases to be a factor, of course, but events are very predictable — because they are predetermined by other events we call 'causes'. In our world, for example, whales don't suddenly drop out of the sky. In a world where quantum randomness existed at large scales, they might. Anything might happen, no matter how unlikely.

Just because the quantum randomness I am talking about only occurs at smaller scales doesn't detract from the point I'm making. ANY amount of true randomness in a system will stop one from predicting exactly how that system will evolve. You could think of it kind of like the butterfly effect... one tiny little change in the system can eventually unfold into huge macroscopic changes. And that is the point. Just because you can predict the path of large objects with a reasonable degree of accuracy does not mean you can predict exactly how the universe will evolve. It's those small quantum phenomena which stop anyone from predicting exactly how the universe will look at some point in the future, because the tiny quantum fluctuations snowball into huge changes. In fact, the only reason the stars and planets in our universe aren't exactly spread out in a perfect mathematical pattern is because during the big bang period the diffusion of energy was driven by quantum laws.
edit on 27/11/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I couldn't agree more. If life wasn't around matter would just sit idle and there would only be geothermal and stellar changes in time, reality would go really fast though for nothing. If you look at that as a maximum and minimum for a set range being defined as balancing the effect the right way you go cross eyed. I think this thread is foolish. The answer lies in the resistance to change. That sets the frame of time, with or without life or people. How fast can a ball of ice turn into a cloud of steam being used to heat a thermal conductive windmill with 100% efficiency and how fast can you zap mice with the same electricity has entirely different values. It makes simple range of trying to decipher anything in between. One value within the range and you define measurement so resistance to change of even understanding and learning set time. That should have taken you about 10 seconds to read at my cognitive level right now. Anything can be quantified. - Tangent

How fast can matter change into energy and and all the variant forms of each or energy change to matter as in life or otherwise or life effect death?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

ANY amount of true randomness in a system will stop one from predicting exactly how that system will evolve.

Depends on whether the system is convergent on a state or divergent from one — or to put it more plainly, stable or unstable.

I think you have a strong grasp of the philosophical implications of this stuff but perhaps are not so familiar with the actual mechanics. Pardon me if I am wrong. The thing is, at the end of the day, we can pretty well predict how most physical processes will turn out, most of the time. Big systems with many variables are hard, but as mbkennel points out (if I understand him right), that's a calculation issue, not a manifestation of randomness.

Don't forget that every state of a nonrandom chaotic system can be predicted. It's hard to predict which out of the set of possible states the system will assume at any given point in its history, but that again is a calculation problem.

We may debate the niceties, but the universe is rather obviously nonrandom, wouldn't you say?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

The thing is, at the end of the day, we can pretty well predict how most physical processes will turn out, most of the time.

Ok... I'm a big thing, but can you predict where I will be located in a year from now, or even 24 hours from now? Even large inanimate objects have a degree of uncertainty to their position and momentum, it's just so small we don't really need to worry about it in the calculations. But if you're dealing with a super cooled gas it could turn into a Bose–Einstein condensate and produce clearly quantum phenomena on the macro scale.

What you also need to keep in mind, is that even though photons and electrons are extremely small and not easily visible, does not mean they don't have a huge impact on the macroscopic world, because they do. It's just hard to understand how they do influence the macroscopic world because it's not obvious to see. But if you really pay attention and think about it you will find many, many examples of how small things influence big things.

One good example is the nuclear reactions which take place in the sun. At the heart of it those reactions are due to subatomic interactions heavily influenced by quantum laws and it's impossible to predict with a high accuracy exactly how the sun will evolve and exactly how it will look at some point in the future, the placement of sun spots and so on, and exactly how much energy it will release towards the earth between now and some point in the future.

We may debate the niceties, but the universe is rather obviously nonrandom, wouldn't you say?

No...

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Blue Shift
So in many ways, it's the present that doesn't exist, as the only things we can really be sure of are things that happened, and things that have a high probability of happening. There is no "now." There is only remembrance of things past, and anticipation of the future.

"Now", or the "present", is the only thing that exists. The ongoing state of ever-changing "now" is the only thing that we experience. Our remembrance of things past is really remembrance of a change in state, which is all that exists.

We can never be sure of things that happened, or things that haven't happened. We can only be sure that things are happening.

"The ongoing state of ever-changing "now" is the only thing that we experience"

I have a big problem with that statement. What is an ever-changing now? If it is ever-changing when is it now?
FREEZE TIME and show me NOW. What is this frozen now time? It can't be and now can't be - it is already over as soon as you try to prove it exists. Unless you can demonstrate a universe existent without time you can not have a now - now is already past as soon as you try to claim it exists. Now, whether the future actually exists can be debated - what can't be debated is its necessity for existence to continue - without a future there is no present and no past and we can all cash in our chips and go home - the game of existence will end.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

AlienView

I have a big problem with that statement. What is an ever-changing now? If it is ever-changing when is it now?
FREEZE TIME and show me NOW. What is this frozen now time? It can't be and now can't be - it is already over as soon as you try to prove it exists. Unless you can demonstrate a universe existent without time you can not have a now - now is already past as soon as you try to claim it exists. Now, whether the future actually exists can be debated - what can't be debated is its necessity for existence to continue - without a future there is no present and no past and we can all cash in our chips and go home - the game of existence will end.

Can you ever say that you are not present (now)?
Now is where all appears and disappears.

Now cannot be escaped - now is constantly appearing different but that which sees that it changes never changes.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Itisnowagain

AlienView

Now cannot be escaped - now is constantly appearing different but that which sees that it changes never changes.

No, now does not exist. I can not conceive of anything, being, or entity that exists in a timeless unchanging void
- You can not freeze time or anything existent where time exists. Now if you can somehow argue that time is illusory and nothing is happening beware that you will have to explain the nature of existence independently of time. Aristotle referred to an 'unmoved mover', religions refer to god - these entities are speculative and you can say exist outside of time - buy man's being and state of consciousness is stuck in a timed, ever changing state of existence whose reality does not allow for time to freeze.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

AlienView

Itisnowagain

AlienView

No, now does not exist. I can not conceive of anything, being, or entity that exists in a timeless unchanging void
- You can not freeze time or anything existent where time exists. Now if you can somehow argue that time is illusory and nothing is happening beware that you will have to explain the nature of existence independently of time. Aristotle referred to an 'unmoved mover', religions refer to god - these entities are speculative and you can say exist outside of time - buy man's being and state of consciousness is stuck in a timed, ever changing state of existence whose reality does not allow for time to freeze.

Have you ever experienced anything but the present moment?
It is you that is timeless - existence is timeless but existence is moving. Presently the appearance is changing.

Only you can notice that you never move - I cannot convince you.
This video may help you see that you never move but the environment moves.

edit on 30-11-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

AlienView

Only what is appearing, is appearing to exist - what is IS and what isn't ISN'T.

Can the future be heard? Can the past be heard?
Both past and future are concepts, words, ideas - ideas can only appear presently.

When is 'what is happening' appearing to happen?
edit on 30-11-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
History, our memories and our ambitions are all of substance.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join