It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only the Future Exists

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

SisyphusRide
reply to post by Blue Shift

the future or the past does not exist, only the present...

What's your opinion on for how long that moment of present is long?
I'm looking at it like frames of the movie and to me that one frame it's something that's not measurable.
What is the smallest measurable moment in time?

we have no evidence that the past exists beyond the day of our birth...

the only thing we have is the death of the past and the eulogy... the past existed but it does not exist.

the only evidence we have of the future, is that it hasn't happened yet.

edit on th112813p0100000028R11 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Quantum mechanics inherently demonstrates that there is no such thing as fate or destiny, so going on that it's impossible for the future to exist as some sort of pre-determined state.

Is that not something what theoretical physicist do? Predicting where that one tiny particle will be in the future and its possible outcomes. It's chaos I know, but the fact is physical forces exist affecting those particles and those forces know the outcome, we don't, and I don't think we ever will.
Dammit, suddenly I feel depressed.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

SisyphusRide

Prove it.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

it's like playing the lottery... you can guess various places where the particle might materialize that one already determined in a controlled environment, where its probability is preordained (pre-guesstimated)

edit on th251013p01u10R25 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The past, present and future are all conceptions born in the mind of man. As long as the mind of man can conceive, past, present and future will exist.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienView

It has been experimentally proven that all time (past, present & future) exist simultaneously and statically.

This is why there is no term for time in the Wheeler-DeWitt equation.

Our perception of the passage of time is due to our quantum entanglement with the universe we observe from. If we could disentangle ourselves and view the universe externally, we would see that it is, in fact, completely static.

Let me repeat, the perception of of the passage of time (observed changes occurring) is an emergent property of quantum entanglement.

This is the gist of TR (Temporal Relativity).

Trust me, I'm the chr0naut

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Blue Shift

SisyphusRide

Prove it.

The matter which makes up my body right now (11:52am PST), is the same matter which makes up my body right... now (11:53am PST).

My body at 11:53 was the same body I had at 11:52, however, it slightly changed. In that 1 minute, many cells died, many cells were born, I breathed in new oxygen, expelled old carbon dioxide that was once flowing through my veins, the Earth rotated around it's axis slightly, and around the Sun slightly, etc.

Now, my body no longer exists in the state it was in at 11:52, nor 11:53, it is now 12:00. If I had a time machine, I could not travel to 11:52 because there is nothing to travel to. Physically, everything that existed at 11:52 is already around me. It changed slightly, and is in a different state, but it is the same matter. So the state everything was in at 11:52 no longer exists. Only in memory.

A time machine would have to magically reverse all aging effects, and chemical interactions, all motion, everything in the entire universe atom by atom, sub-atom by sub-atom, planet by planet, star by star, would have to be changed back to the way it was in order for us to physically see the way things were at an earlier time, in order to "travel to the past".

The future does not exist either. The matter that will make the future is here now, it is not yet in the future. A time machine would have to speed up aging, chemical interactions, motion, and every atom and sub-atom of all matter in the entire universe would have to change to its future state in order for us to see the future.

The past nor future exist... they can not be traveled to. There is only now.

edit on 26-11-2013 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

It has been experimentally proven that all time (past, present & future) exist simultaneously and statically.

Experimentally proven? More like theoretically asserted... can you name the experiment you are referring to?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
tracy lawrence time marches on
www.youtube.com...

sorry i had too lol

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

WeAre0ne

They can't be traveled to, yet they can be referenced and referred to. If you shoot an arrow from a bow to a target, it exists in an infinite number of positions along the flight path, and we can, in the present, refer to any of those positions and describe them it in as much detail and certainty as we can describe our current state. Maybe even more, since our current state can't be determined until after it's measured, by which time the state has passed.

So in many ways, it's the present that doesn't exist, as the only things we can really be sure of are things that happened, and things that have a high probability of happening. There is no "now." There is only remembrance of things past, and anticipation of the future.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Since time is in all reality the measurement of motion, we are in a perpetual state of 'now'. The past has existed, because it was a place we were once at.

The future doesn't exist, because we haven't gotten there yet, and once we do, it becomes the now.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Blue Shift

WeAre0ne

They can't be traveled to, yet they can be referenced and referred to. If you shoot an arrow from a bow to a target, it exists in an infinite number of positions along the flight path, and we can, in the present, refer to any of those positions and describe them it in as much detail and certainty as we can describe our current state. Maybe even more, since our current state can't be determined until after it's measured, by which time the state has passed.

"Referenced and referred to" is a product of the mind. I can reference and refer to the many imaginary things, does that mean they exist? By exist, I mean physically, not just a figment of imagination.

Can you prove that the arrow exists in an infinite number of positions along it's flight path? Just because the mind can calculate an infinite number of outcomes (changes) for the arrow's future, doesn't mean those outcomes (changes) exist.

The environment, and the very moment you aim and shoot the arrow, and many other factors, puts into play many changes upon the arrow and the Universe. On an atomic scale, when you shoot the arrow you apply changes to all the atoms that make up the arrow. The atoms of that arrow then make changes to the atoms of the air around it, and when it reaches it's target it makes changes to the atoms of the target. This chain reaction of changes can be calculated.

Of course during the chain reaction of changes external things unforeseen can apply additional changes to the atoms of the arrow. Say a gust of wind (atoms of air which obtained its current state of change from a change of air pressure) hits the arrow during its flight. Now the atoms of the arrow have been changed again, and new changes can be calculated. However, none of the changes exist until they change.

A true measurement can only take place during the moment of change. A measurement taken after the moment of change would be inaccurate, that is because you are measuring the effect of the change, and not the change itself.

Our current state can only be measured by measuring the change, because that is the current state. Our state can not be measured accurately after the change, because then you would be measuring the effect of the change, and by then the state would have changed.

Blue Shift
So in many ways, it's the present that doesn't exist, as the only things we can really be sure of are things that happened, and things that have a high probability of happening. There is no "now." There is only remembrance of things past, and anticipation of the future.

"Now", or the "present", is the only thing that exists. The ongoing state of ever-changing "now" is the only thing that we experience. Our remembrance of things past is really remembrance of a change in state, which is all that exists.

We can never be sure of things that happened, or things that haven't happened. We can only be sure that things are happening.
edit on 26-11-2013 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

chr0naut

Let me repeat, the perception of of the passage of time (observed changes occurring) is an emergent property of quantum entanglement.

This is the gist of TR (Temporal Relativity).

Trust me, I'm the chr0naut

Wrong. You obviously have no clue what quantum entanglement is. If everyone was quantum entangled we would all be exactly the same all the time.

The "passing of time" is the "measurement that something moved"

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TechniXcality

every thread needs its own theme music...

edit on th123513p0900000035R12 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
No, only the present exists, what you experience right now is the only time frame that exists. I think you may be confusing this with the future pulling us from the past, the past is not pushing us into the future like most may think.

The future is more prominent because it is what we're being drawn toward, but the present is all that truly exists.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

The past is in memory and the future is imagined they are mental states.
Only the now is, the present moment.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The past does not exist but the future does because it is always happening and being experienced from moment to moment, we are always being drawn toward it. The thing that is being "drawn" is the present, the now.

Your image may seem to be progressing and changing TOWARD the future, but it is actually regressing and changing FROM the past, like a video tape on rewind. We are getting closer to time infinite, not moving away from it. In other words time is forever shrinking toward the infinite "source" of its balloon, not growing from it.
edit on 26-11-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

try this
edit on 26-11-2013 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I just smashed my clock time does not exist anymore folks.

Sorry about that.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Realtruth
I just smashed my clock time does not exist anymore folks.

Sorry about that.

Solved:

**THREAD CLOSED**

edit on th512113p11u21R51 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join