It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Family says they tipped gay waitress, didn't leave note about 'lifestyle'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Helious

I don't believe that's right at all. Crap like that is what allows criminal organizations to conduct business with impunity, at unimaginable costs to families all over the world.

You're comparing a rude note left (or not, as it happens now) with organized crime families or the Mafia???? Really? Isn't that a little heavy on the hyperbole?

It sounds like this may have been a case of someone MAKING their own problem for publicity sake. God knows, I've run into glory hounds and princess types on both sides of the political and social line. Some people have no shame and have no sense of morals or integrity, on any level whatsoever. If this waitress created it, then she is without character or class.

It seems to me there is plenty of division and discontent in the world without some people literally creating ways to start even more, for their personal 15 minutes of fame. If she could be proven to have done it, her job should be the least it cost her for the public spectacle made of a non-event.

(post by TorSerfer removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You're comparing a rude note left (or not, as it happens now) with organized crime families or the Mafia???? Really? Isn't that a little heavy on the hyperbole?

No, I wasn't. I was referring to this:

you interact with some of the very best and very worst people every day and in order to do your job properly, consistently and with pride, you must keep your composure no matter what and have thick skin.

Two things you don't do in that line of work, bring outside problems in and bring inside problems out.

Maybe I should have been clearer. It's amazing how people misinterpret things these days. Guess you just demonstrated the principle of the OP, eh?
edit on 26-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mikeone718

I have yet to hear about a gay person being told to use the straight fountains and ride on the back of the bus.

I guess Matthew Shephard doesn't count though, right?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

mikeone718
reply to post by AfterInfinity

How is any gay person oppressed? They're not segregated, they're not poor (lots of them are pretty wealthy here in nyc), they're not hungry - I mean really, how are they oppressed?

Seems to me like they're asking for privileges, not rights.

I'm sorry. Do you not watch the news?
A quick google search turns up a few things.

www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a

IMO if you are American and believe in the constitution. Then there's no reason to not support gay people. All they want is to be able to lead a life free from fear of being killed just because they are gay or excluded because they are gay.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Hate crimes will happen. Ask any minority.

How are you oppressed however?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Hate crimes will happen. Ask any minority.

How are you oppressed however?

Me? I'm not oppressed. At least not in any way that's directly relevant to this discussion. But your attitude reveals just how little concern you possess for the emotional and psychological health of your fellow human beings.

"Hate crimes? Meh. Kids will be kids."

Disgusting. And all you can do is keep asking for instances of oppression. Is Google broke today or something? Are you incapable of utilizing search engines to locate the most recent recorded instances of people being mistreated and abused for their sexuality? I'm not doing your research for you.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Fraudfinder

This doesn't make any sense.

They still could have written the note on the waiter's receipt.

When you go to a restaurant you are provided a copy for yourself and a copy for the merchant. Anytime anyone writes a note it would be on the merchant's copy. It wouldn't be on the customer's copy anyway.

This whole story is nonsense though, waiting tables is a job that's chock full of non-tipping bozos for a variety of reasons. Anyone who doesn't want to pay and does so willingly will sometimes write notes.

I had a friend who was a pretty good looking lesbian and she got more tips than everyone. Those dinner crowd married women were watching too much L-word at the time I suppose. She'd also have assholes who'd comment on her gayness, like she didn't know. That's the nature of the job.

If you don't like dealing with mean people don't get jobs involved in direct customer service.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No, I wasn't. I was referring to this:

you interact with some of the very best and very worst people every day and in order to do your job properly, consistently and with pride, you must keep your composure no matter what and have thick skin.

Two things you don't do in that line of work, bring outside problems in and bring inside problems out.

Maybe I should have been clearer. It's amazing how people misinterpret things these days. Guess you just demonstrated the principle of the OP, eh?

I would offer a retort but I am afraid I have absolutely no idea of what exactly you are trying to say in the first place.

If you're saying that criminal organizations operate on a basis of don't bring outside problems in and don't bring inside problems out, well ok....... But I think you are taking my words slightly out of context.

Anyone in the restaurant industry can tell you about the saying "these four walls". It means exactly what I described before and it's in place so that you don't let a bad day at home rub off on the guests who come into the restaurant and so that you don't take the stress of work back home to the family.

It absolutely has nothing to do with criminal organizations or how they do business. Apples and oranges.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I did go back and carefully read your message a well as the much longer one you were writing that in direct reply to. They both DO seem on-topic and on thread message...which would seem to suggest I did read just what I thought I had when I replied. You'll have to explain to me what you meant as I'm thoroughly confused now. If it's on something other than thread topic and this general situation you were comparing to organized crime families, what was it precisely?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

grey580
I'm sorry. Do you not watch the news?
A quick google search turns up a few things.

www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a

IMO if you are American and believe in the constitution. Then there's no reason to not support gay people. All they want is to be able to lead a life free from fear of being killed just because they are gay or excluded because they are gay.

From watching news channel that will filter most of 'not-so -sensational' news (or more likely focusing only on very sensational news like Obama care) it is possible to be misinformed...

Just couple months ago they interviewed organization that helps kid that are abused by either parents or surrounding because they are LGBT. Many moving stories, but somehow they manage not to get enough attention from media... wonder why...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Stormdancer777
Sad times we live in where going to a resturant can ruin your reputation, besides how would they have known she was gay?

Good question. How would they have known?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I like how the article says that the couple remained "anonymous" and there is absolutely zero proof presented within the article: no pictures, no photocopys, no scans, nothing. To top it all off it's from FOXnews and we're just supposed to assume it's not a bunch of crap.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Seems that you reply only for the sake of typing.
Your argument, if you remember, is that gays are oppressed.

How?

You then go to point out that since I don't agree with the gay lifestyle, I lack moral character and am a monster essentially. Isn't it my right to have an opinion? Not everyone will agree with you buddy...makes me wonder who's the oppressor.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

There's definitely some sad stories. I think on most studies around 30-40% of homeless youth fall into the lgbt category even though the percentage of lgbt in the overall population is much lower.

There's not really an answer to that, some parents are incredibly abusive toward their kids when they find out they swing that way. Many of the teens choose homelessness over the harassment. That's if the parents don't kick them out themselves.

The best thing that could be done, and I will say this a million times is that each city should have a designated tent city with showers and a place to get mail. Of course if you had that there'd probably be other volunteers who'd come by from various resources because then all the homeless that truly wanted help would be in one area.

I never understand why there aren't tent cities for people who need them. Even working people might sometimes choose them to get their bills under control and get back on track.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

I have yet to hear about a gay person being told to use the straight fountains and ride on the back of the bus.

I guess Matthew Shephard doesn't count though, right?

tragic story

google the book of matt.

link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Not to be stereotypical or anything but this chick could be the poster child for stereotypical overweight butch lesbians everywhere.

www.nydailynews.com...
edit on 26-11-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

And abuse happens as well in the straight community. But that's not the point I was trying to make.

Point was that no one should fear being killed for being gay.

Just like no one should fear being killed just for practicing a relgion or being born a certain skin color.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

JIMC5499

Stormdancer777
Sad times we live in where going to a resturant can ruin your reputation, besides how would they have known she was gay?

Good question. How would they have known?

Watch the video. Link

It has a matching time and date stamp, down to the second. And the bill amount is the same, minus exactly $18.00 that they left for a tip. My guess, is a second merchant copy was printed out at the same time which the waitress then wrote on herself or had another co-worker right on to garner attention. And it worked, she got what $3000 in donations from strangers...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The card numbers have been blotted out. I'm sure they match the servers copy or why would they put themselves ion that position? As to the note I can see someone doing something like this to forward their PERSONAL agenda. Hell, there were 2 obvious ones here yesterday. What I can't see is that people would take this one incident to castigate all gay people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join