It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Refusal will result in a Racial Discrimination note being attached to your child's educational re

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

What is the single most depressing aspect of this letter? Is it the idea of labelling eight-year-olds racists? Is it the moronic conflation of religion and ethnicity? Is it the ugly grammar ("As such our expectations are that all children in years 4 to 6 attend school on Wednesday…")? Is it the bullying tone? Is it the unconscionable choice of font? Is it that someone can write that way and yet hold a position of authority in a school?

'Refusal will result in a Racial Discrimination note being attached to your child's educational record…'

This is a post from a Telegraph journo's blog. I had to look twice and I am still in shock. I know I am suppose to write some meaningful paragraph but right now I am somewhere between indulging righteous anger and giving into a growing sense of fatalism that tells me that society is just beyond comprehending let alone saving.

What kind of school does this? Who brands 8 yr old kids as racist and threatens parents this way? Why do parents suffer this uber-authoritarian crap at all? Where's the reasoning coming from ? What benefit to the the child in labeling them a racist? Especially when race has nothing do with religion in a "globalized" world? Where does this kind of rationale end?
I am sure this is a URI kids thing, has to be. Still looking into it...it just made my stomach turn and I thought it deserved a mention here. Orwell was light on the reality...we're not in 1984 at all, seems we're in 1933 and being greased up for a huge XXXXXXXXing.

Ro

edit on 26-11-2013 by Rosha because: to add pic

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
This just furthers my belief that the public school system is out of control. This is just a blatant attack on parent's rights to teach their children whatever they want to believe. It's okay to teach about different cultures in schools. It's not okay to label a child in that manner just because parents don't want their children taught something that could be misleading about their own faith.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Parents are trapped between a rock and a hard place.

They could protest en masse simply by removing their children from any 'offending' school and Home School, but Home Education requires time and dedication from parents and so not all parents are able to take this means of protest.

However, it is still possible to protest by changing school en masse.

At the least it will give a 'message' to such an 'extreme' measure of 'indoctrination'.

It is disappointing to see a head teacher who is supposedly 'educated' in something or other, act in such an offensive and dictatorial manner, but one can only assume that she 'can't help it' because of whoever tells her what to do.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

I'm assuming this is the UK? We have Thanksgiving on the 28th on Thursday - Comet Ison is supposed to go around the Sun on the 28th with unknown results -

There aren't any way I'd send my kid to school that day , especialy with all of the "ufo drills" they've been having over there - but I'm paranoid.

Not that I think there are "UFO's", but, if they take your kids somewhere and tell you that you have to come get them - or else - makes me think they are keeping the kids to have the adults fall in line for something.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I really don't understand this at all...don't kids learn about other religions and cultures in their history classes? I know I learnt about other religions and cultures in history class. And why would it be so controversial to take the kids to look at some old religious artifacts anyway? The note clearly says they will not be partaking in any religious practices, they're just going to look at some old stuff. I can't even understand why is it mandatory for these kids to get a look at some old religious artifacts when you can learn about those same artifacts in books.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Our local in Aus here said the same thing when they began RE classes, and I walked into his yr 2 class only weeks later to see a 'kind old lady' from the local ministry teaching them how to 'pray to Jesus'. I was furious and pulled him immediately and made formal complaint. Yes it was inconvenient, yes it was a hassle getting into him into a new school but I didn't sit there and cop the hypocrisy or become a hypocrite via silent condoning.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

I don't think it's necessarily about looking at old religious artifacts. It's more about the fact that they'll be labeled as a "Racial Discriminator" for the rest of their school careers if they don't attend. Like I said, I don't believe it's wrong to teach culture and different religions in school. I was taught it myself. But if a parent somewhere has an issue with it, it's their right to remove the child from that particular lesson. They should be able to do so without a repercussion like that.
edit on 11/26/2013 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by EternalSolace

I don't think it's necessarily about looking at old religious artifacts. It's more about the fact that they'll be labeled as a "Racial Discriminator" for the rest of their school careers if they don't attend.

Yes it is clearly wrong, I get that, it should be a completely voluntary school trip. I'm just trying to understand why the school feels like it's so important for the kids to see these old artifacts in person instead of learning about them in history class. It just seems very strange to me...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

EternalSolace

I don't think it's necessarily about looking at old religious artifacts. It's more about the fact that they'll be labeled as a "Racial Discriminator" for the rest of their school careers if they don't attend. Like I said, I don't believe it's wrong to teach culture and different religions in school. I was taught it myself. But if a parent somewhere has an issue with it, it's their right to remove the child from that particular lesson. They should be able to do so without a repercussion like that.
edit on 11/26/2013 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

I agree with you when I am calmer. Then I get all cranky again. I'm just an old pagan mother who's about had enough of this 'free' world and its BS. I do teach my son about other religions and cultures and he can read and search it for himself too, so its not about wanting him not to 'hear ' about religions, I just protect him from involuntary indoctrinations ( even mine) and what really makes me angry is just that this kind of nuttery can be forced on families and non compliance can be used in such a damaging manner. The kids aren't even responsible, its the parents who choose, yet they will be branded for life. Its an outright threat and bullying tactic and I think every parent willing to send their kids or not should remove their kids that day in revolt on that principle alone.

ty for the clarity of thought

Ro.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

You're very much right in that it's strange. I can't wrap my head around it either. I'd like to think it's as simple as an interactive teaching moment, but there's more to it than that.

These types of incidents aren't secluded anymore. It's becoming more widespread.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

ChaoticOrder
I really don't understand this at all...don't kids learn about other religions and cultures in their history classes? I know I learnt about other religions and cultures in history class. And why would it be so controversial to take the kids to look at some old religious artifacts anyway? The note clearly says they will not be partaking in any religious practices, they're just going to look at some old stuff. I can't even understand why is it mandatory for these kids to get a look at some old religious artifacts when you can learn about those same artifacts in books.

Because the true purpose isn't just to look at some old artifacts, it's to get a head start on brainwashing these kids into their way of thinking. It's the lectures the kids will have to endure from the teachers about the artifacts while they're looking at them, which will no doubt be about showing these kids 'multiculturalism.' Summary of today's class: Christians are wrong and Muslims are to be accepted.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I dont see how any action of the parent should result in anything going on the child's record.

Pure idiocy.

The childs record is their own file of their own doing and nothing but that.

This is just a pure threat and intimidation.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

This appears to be an isolated incident involving a teacher with no "people skills." A quiet talk with her boss is in order. (Anything more would be over reacting.)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

I would think a lawsuit for defamation of character, slander is in order.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I get it. It has been found through time that education and awareness tend to cut down on prejudices like racism and sexism. Hate and ignorance tend to travel hand in hand. Mystery and unknown stimulate fear.

It is one thing to say you don't want your child indoctrinated into a religion- another to want to keep him from knowing it exists and what it is about.

Why would you want to keep your child from learning about the various major religions around the world?
-Okay, FEAR of indoctrination.. FEAR of extraterrestrial invasion... is what we have heard so far here.
It might be too late for the parents, but perhaps with the younger generation we can try to cut off that fear before it starts to grow- it is an attempt to plant peaceful tolerant citizens in the future.

I don't like the idea of the kid being labelled- and yet I do not know exactly what this note refers to- but some sort of note that the parents have prejudices that influence the activities their kids will be allowed to take part in is necessary then. Future teachers need to know who has "touchy" parents, and in relation to what exactly, in order to respect these wishes.

The word "racism" is commonly used incorrectly- not to refer to prejudice according to race, but often to nationality, religion, skin color......but has become common usage to include all these things in it's meanings, so for the sake of communication, it makes sense.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Yeah-get a lawyer on the case-this is made up bullcrap by the school-
any lawyer worth his or her salary would get this "racial discrimination"expunged from any kids record-as ISLAM IS NOT A RACE-its a religion.
Therefore no racial discrimination notes should be added to a childs record,as there has been no racial discrimination in the first place.

Jobsworths trying to scare people with pc phrases...take no notice of them.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This could be dealt with swiftly if all or at least a good majority of the parents decided not to send their children to this event, along with a note explaining their reasons why. If people could just come together and let tptb know they won't be sheep any longer with simple rebellions, they could accomplish so much in a very little time.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Has there been any response from the school? I feel like it is possible that this could be something that some kid sent out as a prank of sorts. It would explain the bad grammar as well.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
WOW, I thought Americas schools were screwed up. We got nothing on you guys. That's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Label the child for life , because the parents opt out of a particular program. Talk about intimidation on the schools part.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

at first I was like, "awesome! kids get to go on enriching field trip!"

then i was like, "Wait a minute....whats with the heavy hand?"

Then i was all like, "Screw them....kid ain't going!"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join