It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easy/Healthy/Awesome Shredded Chicken Tacos (Crock Pot)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I like this for a few reasons. It's cheap. It's filling. It's incredibly easy. It's healthy (if you want). It reheats well and makes enough food for a family, or 1 person with leftovers. You can pretty much add anything you want or take out things you don't like. I added some pictures primarily because I was bored, and also because I had no idea how to shred chicken before. They are crappy pictures, I know.

What you'll need.

-Crockpot (If you don't have one, go out and get one. $40 and they're awesome)

-4 Boneless skinless chicken breasteses (thawed)
-16 oz Salsa (Get good stuff)
-1 Onion (Yellow preferred for me)
-2 limes
-Cilantro
-Jalepeno (The number you add depends on your tastes, I use 1-2)
-1 can refried beans (If you want to be healthy find the low fat low sodium stuff)
-Optional: Shriracha, hot sauce, spices, vegetables, corn

If you're like me, have a backup plan…

Take the onion and mince it up however you see fit.

Chop up cilantro (I used about 3/4 of the 'bushel') by the end (more than the pic)

Depending on your tastes, chop up 1-2 jalapeños.

Dice up anything else you see fit to add. I haven't added anything else but canned corn to the recipe, but I'm sure lots of vegetables would be great.

Pour about 6-10 oz of the salsa into the pot evenly coating the bottom.

Throw in 1/3 of all vegetables and cilantro. Squeeze in 1/2 a lime.

Place the chicken hooters on this bed of deliciousness.

Squeeze in another half of lime over the chicken. Throw another 1/3 of the veggies on top of the chicken, starting with the cilantro.

Top all that with the beans. Top the beans with whatever is left of veggies and cilantro and squeeze in more lime if you like.

Use as much hot sauce and seasoning as you think you'll like. I'd go light here. There's plenty of flavor and if you want it hot add some fresh stuff.

Set Crock pot on HI for 3 hours.

Grab bottle of wine, and pour into sippy cup a certain smart ass lady friend may have purchased for you. Light candle for ambiance, even if you're alone.

After 3 hours, scoop the chicken breasts onto a plate. Take two forks and start shredding up the chicken. This is the reason I added pics, I had no idea how to shred chicken. Basically take two forks, tines facing down, and just start pulling the meat in opposite directions. For some reason I thought this was some fancy thing only restaurants did. Don't mock me. Get it to the consistency you want, then plop it back in the pot and mix everything together.

This is how I like it.

Now heat on low for 1 hour.

Make your tacos however you like and enjoy! I'm trying to drop a few pounds so just use whole wheat tortillas and a tiny bit of shredded low fat cheese. I keep meaning to add some avocado slices.

Here is a somewhat inaccurate picture of my face eating these.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Yum yum. I love me some homemade tacos. I'll be trying your recipie out
:Oldatsthumbsup:

Btw is the sippie cup required for the wine?

edit on 26-11-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

That depends on how much you drink, so for me, yes.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Domo1
Don't mock me.

^ I liked that line!

I got one substitution in that recipe.

I would swap the refried beans for Steamed Rice and beans!!

A can of black or the tan Beans and 2 cups water 1 cup rice. and a little Cumin and paprika spice. Gives it that taco flavor.

Then wrapped in a tortilla and dressed with romaine lettuce, cilantro, hot sauces and a yogurt sauce mixed with that lime juice and cilantro!!

and that thing needs CHEESE

yeah, and some corn!!

To speed up the Chicken shredding process I just slice the chicken thin, then cross slice til a similar density.

Oh Drain the beans and only use about half the can.

Also, always rinse your rice in a thin metal mesh filter/strainer.

edit on 26-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: additions

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Domo1

It's helpful for when you start gesticulating like an impassioned Sicilian during one of your fervent debates with your Texan roommate on the most effective way to degrease an engine block. No muss, no fuss... moderate amounts of cuss. Damn you Zeke!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

ExquisitExamplE

Domo1

It's helpful for when you start gesticulating like an impassioned Sicilian during one of your fervent debates with your Texan roommate on the most effective way to degrease an engine block. No muss, no fuss... moderate amounts of cuss. Damn you Zeke!

Obviously I need to come drink with you

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
S&F and stuff, best thread I've read all week....
*kicks down door, runs out into the street like a crazy person frantically seeking slow cooker*

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I was just looking for a recipe to use some chicken i have defrosted will give this a go looks so good!! Thanks!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Shana91aus

It's delicious. Now tell me how to defrost chicken. I'm really weird about chicken. I always worry. I have some in the freezer and have no idea how to thaw them out safely. I like not pooping myself. It's an acquired taste I guess.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Quick way: get a freezer bag full of frozen chicken and fill with tap cold water. Thaw time: approx. one hour.

Long way: get freezer bag full of chicken and leave out on counter top to thaw at room temperature for an hour. Go into living room, grab a seat and open a bottle of your most favorite beer. Mine at the time was a locally brewed IPA. Finish beer after reading ATS recent topics. Return to kitchen to check chicken and see that it's still frozen. It's only been 15 minutes.. Grab another beer. Sit in living room now watching Netflix and proceed to drink second beer as the buzz slowly kicks in. Finish second beer with fervor and make your way slowly back to the kitchen, grabbing the hallway door frame in reference to the commencement of said buzz. Laugh and poke still frozen chicken with finger. Grab another beer. Finish beer while standing in kitchen pondering the recipe times and relative jerks who wrote them. Drink another beer. Stumble back to the living room and lay on the couch to proceed to get comfortable. Finish beer and netflix movie. Wake up. Try to stand quickly, realizing that you passed out from the mixture of four 7.6% alcohol beers and awesomeness for the last 4 hours. It is now midnight. Proceed to bed, leaving chicken on counter to thaw even more (actually forgetting about it). Wake up next morning and proceed to make coffee in the morning. Stare at thawed chicken scraps all over the floor and vomit staining the kitchen rug. Look at dog. Dog looks happy. Thank the dog for not dying. Throw away scraps and goto the store to buy already thawed chicken.

I prefer the first method.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

The first method, while more time consuming, is also much more rewarding not only for you, but also for any canine companions stationed in your domicile. Of course, the only problem is that if you continuously use the first method, you'll never actually end up cooking and eating anything, but at least you'll spend a lot of time relaxing on the couch in an alcohol-induced stupor.

On a more serious note, I use my microwave to defrost chicken frequently. Set it to defrost, give it 5 minutes on one side, flip it over, give it another 5 minutes. Come back 2 hours later and give it another 3 minutes. The main danger when defrosting with a microwave is the outer edges begin to actually cook while the inside stays frozen, so be sure not to defrost for too long, and give it time to rest in between thaw cycles, so the temperature will equalize itself throughout the chicken.

top topics

join