It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stoning Of Adulterers May Be Legalized In New Law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

KABUL, Nov 25 (Reuters) - Death by stoning for convicted adulterers is being written into Afghan law, a senior official said on Monday, the latest sign that human rights won at great cost since the Taliban were ousted in 2001 are rolling back as foreign troops withdraw.

"We are working on the draft of a sharia penal code where the punishment for adultery, if there are four eyewitnesses, is stoning," said Rohullah Qarizada, who is part of the sharia Islamic law committee working on the draft and head of the Afghan Independent Bar Association.

Link

This punishment dates back from Biblical times, and part of me feels that's where it should remain.

But there's another part of me that thinks if such brutal punishment were to be used, instead of imprisonment, maybe crime wouldn't be such an issue around the world (please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that infidelity is a crime).

If people actually feared a horrific punishment instead of a slap on the wrist and a few years imprisonment, do you think crime would run as rampant as it does now?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

And the American government wants to stay and protect these cretans for another ten years? Anybody who stones someone else to death should be stoned to death. Period.

Rocks.
edit on 25-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
If brutal methods were effective why does it still happen?

Not just this case but issues such as the continual hanging of child molesters in Iran or any similar situations in other parts of the world.

You could argue it reduces these crimes but that is only a guess.

I've no issue with capital punishment whatsoever because I find nothing wrong with society partaking in revenge killing, but to say its effective is an overstatement I believe.

Its really not. Brutal punishment is more to make society feel better than any chance of ending the practice.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

If people actually feared a horrific punishment instead of a slap on the wrist and a few years imprisonment, do you think crime would run as rampant as it does now?

Uh, if it did people would not be getting stoned to death, but alas, it still happens. Death is not a deterrent to crime, it is a useful tool for political power.

In the past, many places were run under Imperial rule, there was the person at the top, and the courts and its magistrates, and death was simply doled out as punishment for "crimes" against nobility. Of course, if you had enough money you could commute your sentence.

Think about that for a minute. The history of crime and punishment tells us exactly what it is.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Way to go

Thats what like 10 years of US incursion bring.

Change!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

And the American government wants to stay and protect these cretans for another ten years? Anybody who stones someone else to death should be stoned to death. Period.

Rocks.

Your applying your own morals and ethics to other people and that in itself is as horrible as stoning someone. Not every society believes what you believe and until you are anointed Overlord of the Universe you probably shouldn't demand everyone follow what you want.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

What about a crime that doesn't involve death? Say, cutting off a thief's hand? Something where the punishment fits the crime?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

Rocks.

Your applying your own morals and ethics to other people and that in itself is as horrible as stoning someone. Not every society believes what you believe and until you are anointed Overlord of the Universe you probably shouldn't demand everyone follow what you want.

That has got to be the most ignorant comment I have read in a long while. There is no world where stoning someone for simply sleeping with a person of their choice is okay. No human being should condone this kind of moronic behavior. You are simply dead wrong on this one.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A more suitable punishment for adultery?

Lorena Bobbitt comes to mind

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

Rocks.

That's an unfortunate revelation, that the US has been anointed overlord of the universe.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Metallicus

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

Rocks.

That has got to be the most ignorant comment I have read in a long while. There is no world where stoning someone for simply sleeping with a person of their choice is okay. No human being should condone this kind of moronic behavior. You are simply dead wrong on this one.

Its not my opinion, its just a fact.

Not everyone believes as you do and if they do not than you are saying they are wrong. Do you think the Aztecs were wrong for practicing human sacrifice?

Probably you do but what gives you the right to judge others?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

zillah
reply to post by boncho

What about a crime that doesn't involve death? Say, cutting off a thief's hand? Something where the punishment fits the crime?

How many people steal? And how many don't get caught but go on to be people of great character, or even one's that do get caught, let off with a warning.

Stealing is something that should be repaid in debt. Either the thief repays something to the person he stole from, or then face judgement. Too easy is it for people to get locked up for stealing and the business owner or victim really gets nothing from it.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

Rocks.

Ironically, you are judging this person's beliefs. He believes people that want to stone someone to death should be stoned to death.

There are plenty of societies that don't agree with stoning. (Granted death of a stoner might not be seen as resolution).

So just as you criticize them, and bring up human sacrifice, you are criticizing something that is as inherent as a sacrifice. Sacrifice of a violent person. (Which is also ironic -violence vs violence.)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Apparently forgiveness has no place in that society...

that's just sad...

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

boncho
How many people steal? And how many don't get caught but go on to be people of great character, or even one's that do get caught, let off with a warning.

Stealing is something that should be repaid in debt. Either the thief repays something to the person he stole from, or then face judgement. Too easy is it for people to get locked up for stealing and the business owner or victim really gets nothing from it.

I'm not saying that I agree with cutting off a thief's hand. To be honest, I'm on the fence about capital punishment. I believe every crime should be dealt with individually.

A man who steals food to feed his family is a far cry from a man who robs a liquor store to feed his addiction.

And I agree that repayment should always be mandatory. However, what's to stop a thief from stealing again? I think they'd just be more careful about not being caught the next time around.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Spookybelle

Metallicus

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

Rocks.

Not everyone believes as you do and if they do not than you are saying they are wrong. Do you think the Aztecs were wrong for practicing human sacrifice?

Stoning someone to death IS WRONG. Human sacrifice IS WRONG. If you think otherwise, how you would feel if it were you being stoned or sacrificed? It is barbaric and cruel.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Night Star

Spookybelle

Metallicus

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

Rocks.

Stoning someone to death IS WRONG. Human sacrifice IS WRONG. If you think otherwise, how you would feel if it were you being stoned or sacrificed? It is barbaric and cruel.

I haven't given my opinion on this specific issue.

I've only stated that it is wrong for you to apply your values to another society. If they believe it is the proper thing to do than you are wrong for dictating to them how to live.

Who gave you the power to judge others? Is there some moral code written into the fabric of the universe that says this is good and that is bad or is it only what YOU believe it to be?

Think about that.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
*Whistles* I'd sure hate to live there.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Break this issue down philosophically for a moment and step outside of the box society has raised you in.

If two people are on a deserted island and never had contact with other humans and one man decides its ok to kill his roommate and the other believes it is not,

who is right?

There are no morals, ethics, values from which to pull from. There are only these two men and nobody else.

Can you prove that one man is correct and the other is wrong?

"What about natural rights" , you may say?

I would reply with the question of, "Do natural rights exist outside of a society? Or are they given by society itself?"

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Spookybelle

Metallicus

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

Rocks.

Sorry? what gives Aztecs or Muslims the right to practice human sacrifice or stone people??? Oh, are they not judging people??? Unbelievable hypocrisy! Of course the Aztecs were wrong in practicing human sacrifice, what idiot would say they were right???

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join