It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of the 7 deadly sins does God do and is that ok with Christians?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

AbleEndangered
reply to post by ghostfacekilah00

I didn't alter it. That is how it is in the King James version.

I know the punishment for altering that...

edit on 26-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: typo

Weird. My Bible at home says relented but I just looked it up and the KJV says repented. The New International also says relented. King James did alter and take out certain parts. I wish there was one accepted translation.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Did a child write this thread?

Not worth a Christian's comment.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Excellent OP. Don't expect them to listen though. God could boil orphans in the blood of nuns and still be praised because he missed one.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Massive wall of bible vomit say what? I don't see how any of that justifies a god making demands of his subjects that he does not fulfill himself. Expect humility, practice pride. Promise forgiveness, exact vengeance. So on and so forth.
edit on 26-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Wrath - Usually for anger and hate to be considered wrath the feelings must be inordinate and uncontrolled. Romans 3:23 says "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." and Romans 6:23 says "For the wages of sin is death" I believe therefore that any act up to and including our destruction would be justified. Thankfully God has tempered his wrath and offered Grace through faith in his son.

Greed (as defined by Aquinas) Is the excessive desire for the temporal at the expense of the eternal. Others define it merely as the inordinate desire for material possessions. Psalm 24 says "The Earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it."

Sloth generally refers to spiritual laziness, meaning a failure of one's efforts to strengthen their relationship with God. If one were to include physical laziness I believe Hebrews 1:2-3 would suffice. "...through whom also he made the universe...sustaining all things by his powerful word."

Pride is the belief that oneself is essentially better than others. God has no equal against whom to compare himself against and is thus incapable of the sin of pride.

Lust is usually defined as excessive sexual want. I know of no instances where an act or motivation of God could be considered sexual.

Envy Refer to Greed I suppose. If all of creation belongs to God how can he be considered envious?

Gluttony is over-indulgence or over-consumption to the point of waste- obviously non applicable

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
double post
edit on 11/26/2013 by Josephus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Fraudfinder

Did a child write this thread?

Not worth a Christian's comment.

But you just did comment, so it was obviously worth it. I expect you couldn't resist degrading the proposition.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

AbleEndangered

See, that is what happens when you read the book...

It takes more Faith after you read it!!

You are better off just popping blue pills (matrix reference, har..har)...

Good video!

I like how he regarded the story of Job as an indictment, because that is exactly what it was.

I don't think this guy is losing Faith. His old Faith was demolished because it was built on Sand.

His new Faith will be built on Stones and Mountains..The Rock!!

edit on 25-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: additions

Faith without facts is for fools and you are right that you need more of that foolishness to continue in whatever sect the theist belongs to

Intellectual and moral dissonance is required for any to adore the genocidal son murderer offered by the bible.

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

caterpillage
I don't have any arguments against what you say, you may be spot on.

I do though have a question for you.

Why is this important to you? Does it bother you that much to think people can have a faith in something greater than themselves? Is it really that crazy to think something unexplainable exists beyond our comprehension? It may, or it may not. We must decide for ourselves on that. If someone chooses a choice you did not choose, can that person not be left to their choice? Or do you feel a need to somehow convert this person to your line of thought, much the same as the Christians you seem to be at odds with?

You could be, of course a Satanist instead of an atheist as was my thinking, if so, I apologise in advance.

But if your an atheist, then, I ask, why the hate?

I am not an atheist.

Let me go long. Apologies.

I will give my beliefs then give you why I do what I do. I have my beliefs as a question.

Care to compare the Jesus you know to the one I know?

I have been asked to do an O P showing my beliefs and have written a nutshell view to fill that request.

I was a skeptic till the age of 39. I then had an apotheosis and later branded myself an esoteric ecumenist and Gnostic Christian. Gnostic Christian because I exemplify this quote from William Blake and that makes me as hated by Christians today as the ancient Gnostics that Constantine had the Christians kill when he bought the Catholic Church.

“Both read the Bible day and night, But thou read'st black where I read white.”

This refers to how Gnostics tend to reverse, for moral reasons, what Christians see in the Bible. We tend to recognize the evil ways of the O. T. God where literal Christians will see God’s killing as good. Christians are sheep where Gnostic Christians are goats.

This is perhaps why we see the use of a Jesus scapegoat as immoral, while theists like to make Jesus their beast of burden. An immoral position.

During my apotheosis, something that only lasted 5 or 6 seconds, the only things of note to happen was that my paradigm of reality was confirmed and I was chastised to think more demographically. What I found was what I call a cosmic consciousness. Not a new term but one that is a close but not exact fit.

I recognize that I have no proof. That is always the way with apotheosis.
This is also why I prefer to stick to issues of morality because no one has yet been able to prove that God is real and I have no more proof than they for the cosmic consciousness or what I call; the Godhead.

The cosmic consciousness is not a miracle working God. It does not interfere with us save when one of us finds it. Not a common thing from what I can see. It is a part of nature and our next evolutionary step.

I tend to have more in common with atheists who ignore what they see as my delusion because our morals are basically identical. Theist tend not to like me much as I have no respect for literalists and fundamentals and think that most Christians have exaggerated tribal mentalities and poor morals as they have developed a double standard to be able to stomach their God.

I am rather between a rock and a hard place but this I cannot help.

I am happy to be questioned on what I believe but whether or not God exists is basically irrelevant to this world for all that he does not do, and I prefer to thrash out moral issues that can actually find an end point. The search for God is never ending when you are of the Gnostic persuasion. My apotheosis basically says that I am to ignore whatever God I found, God as a set of rules that is, not idol worship it but instead, raise my bar of excellence and seek further.

My apotheosis also showed me that God has no need for love, adoration or obedience. He has no needs. Man has dominion here on earth and is to be and is the supreme being.

Since then, I have tried to collect information that would help any that believe that apotheosis is possible, generally not Christians, --- as they do not believe in the mythical esoteric Jesus that I believe in and churches do not dare teach it.

This first clip gives the theological and philosophical interpretation of what Jesus taught and the second clip show what I think is a close representation of the method that helped me push my apotheosis.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Basically, the usual Christian Jesus is their hero and savior while my version demand that man himself steps up to the plate and save himself.

Which version do you think is more moral and deserving of praise and why?

=========================

Why I am negative on Christianity.

It is my view that all right wing literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists, --- as well as those who do not believe. Literalists hurt their parent religions --- and everyone else, be he a believer or not. Literalists and the right wing of religions make us all into laughing stocks. Their God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution has got to go. So must beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic. These are all evil.

www.youtube.com...

They also do much harm to their own.

African witches and Jesus
www.youtube.com...

Jesus Camp 1of 9
www.liveleak.com...

Death to Gays.
www.youtube.com...

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.
Fight them when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

ghostfacekilah00

I'm a Christian, and I like to think I have a pretty good knowledge of the Bible and I will try to rebut some of the points made in the OP as objectively as possible. All of these answers obviously describe the Christian concept of God. First of all, you don't understand what Christians believe about God if you hold him to human standards. God is perfect, so there is absolutely no need to hold him to any human standard. You will never fully comprehend the awesomeness and power of God in this life, though you can in the next. As God says in the Bible "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Christians don't believe that God sins. Jesus was God incarnate, and Jesus never sinned. God can be wrathful, and he can be jealous, but he is only jealous for us and our love. We believe that He loves us more than we can comprehend. I mean, God didn't need to save us from our sins. God says that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was the perfect representation of his love for us. God is slow to anger and rich in kindness, and the only time he is angry is when an injustice is being committed. The only times God intervenes supernaturally in the Bible is for the good of humanity. God has prophets warn the cities and peoples that he destroys who literally speak the words of God and warn the people to turn from their wicked ways. He always gives them a chance to change before he destroys them. He gave the Egyptians 9 plagues before killing their first-born, which is also a symbolic gesture, as God calls the Israelites his first-born and Moses tells the Pharoah that "God will not allow his first-born to be cut off." Christians do not believe that babies and kids go to Hell. As Jesus said when he had the children gather around him in front of a crowd, "The Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these." Children are not yet mature enough to commit a mortal sin worthy of separating themselves from God. God promised Abraham that he would not destroy a city even if he found a single just man inside of it. Sodom and Gemorrah were destroyed because of their wicked ways, as was Babylon. No, Christians do not believe that God is a sinner. You obviously haven't read the Bible OP, and I think that would probably be the best way to find the answers to your questions if that's what you're actually looking for. I think you might just be trying to get Christians to doubt their faith, which is understandable because you don't believe in God so your intentions wouldn't be evil or anything if that's what you're doing. I think you should give God a chance. Christians believe that God reveals himself to each individual person privately and spiritually. You don't have to believe in a spiritual realm for God to answer you, you just have to sincerely ask God to reveal himself to you if he is real. Something else you might not know is that Christians believe that Jesus lives through his true followers today through the power of the Holy Spirit (not very relevant, just something that a lot of people not familiar with Christianity aren't aware of). We all know what right and wrong is, and we all have a desire to be free from the guilt of all the wrong we've done. Knock and the door will be opened. That's a Bible verse. There are a lot of pretty beautiful promises and messages from God in there believe it or not. Give him a chance. If he doesn't reveal himself to you (granted, you likely can't comprehend how he will do that) after you sincerely try than he would have to be unjust to send you to Hell.
edit on 25-11-2013 by ghostfacekilah00 because: (no reason given)

I did not read all your pathetic preaching.

Speak to the O P or take your garbage elsewhere.

I do thank you for mentioning that God has some of the deadly sins although you quickly screwed that up by saying that Jesus who is one of the heads of God did not sin. He obviously did as you said he does as the father. With that kind of logic it is no wonder your went to hide in preaching your dog# dogma.

Regards
DL
edit on 26-11-2013 by Greatest I am because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

AbleEndangered
Shapeshifter Jesus was Chill compared to the Big Guy!!

That would depend on how deeply you have pondered his policies.

www.youtube.com...

No Christian that I have asked to analyse Jesus' policies from a moral standpoint has ever taken me up on that request for debate so even they do not seem to agree with you.

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

ghostfacekilah00
Matthew 5: 38-48
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Any Christian who does not live out the teachings of Jesus with their actions is not a true follower of Christ and the light of Christ is not in them.

That may work well for small scale abuses but what do you do for greater offences.

If a man rapes your wife, what will you do?

Offer your daughter as his next?

Tell us again how great that turn the other cheek is.

PS. Buddha said that wisdom saying first and Christianity plagiarized it as it did most everything in the bible.

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

spartacus699
Even if that's true it doesn't matter. We're just men, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. The pot can't say to the potter "why did you make me like this", or "why are you running the show like that".

Pots cannot speak. Humans can.

As that clip says, God creates us ill and demands that we be well, --- even thought that is impossible thanks to how God creates us.

Yep. God can do whatever he likes. Even the completely immoral and stupid.

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

ChuckNasty
The deadly sins were created by the church and not God.

The 10 commandments are definite rules that any society needs to follow to flourish.

God gave them to man to follow, God follows whatever a God wants (Kings/Rulers/Presidents followed the same thinking).

Edit: Parents are an easier rule bender figure. Parents tell the kids to do X and not Y...all the while the parent does Y. The 'Do as I say, not as I do,' mentality is all.
edit on 26-11-2013 by ChuckNasty because: as above

So you think that "Kings/Rulers/Presidents followed the same thinking).', that being that they can break the laws they give others to follow.

IOW, your God is immoral just like many parents.

And here I thought that he was the last word in morality.

Scriptures say we should emulate God in all things so those immoral parents are doing the moral thing. Right?

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

ChuckNasty

The 10 commandments are definite rules that any society needs to follow to flourish.

Which of the 4,000 Christian sects has the right "me", in place no one above me?

Which of the myriad of denomination of version of the bible should I go by?
One that allows many wives or one that only allows one?

A link would be good.

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
Excellent OP. Don't expect them to listen though. God could boil orphans in the blood of nuns and still be praised because he missed one.

Fraudfinder is the usual Christian.

I expected most would deny without offering any plausible argument against and he is one of many.

He reminds me of this politician.

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Paragraphs are your friend. You should consider using them more often.

As God says in the Bible "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Christians don't believe that God sins.

Shouldn't God take the high road, then? But, in the Old Testament, that guy who claims to be God, doesn't. He orders his followers to perform the most debase actions of murder, destruction, slavery and rape.

Jesus was God incarnate, and Jesus never sinned. God can be wrathful, and he can be jealous, but he is only jealous for us and our love. We believe that He loves us more than we can comprehend. I mean, God didn't need to save us from our sins. God says that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was the perfect representation of his love for us. God is slow to anger and rich in kindness, and the only time he is angry is when an injustice is being committed. The only times God intervenes supernaturally in the Bible is for the good of humanity.

You sound like a battered wife, claiming that your husband only beats you when you deserve it, that he beats you for your own good and because he loves you.

How was it good for humanity when God sent bears to devour the children who were teasing Elisha for being bald? How was the torture of Job and murder of his family good for humanity?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Josephus

Wrath - Usually for anger and hate to be considered wrath the feelings must be inordinate and uncontrolled. Romans 3:23 says "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." and Romans 6:23 says "For the wages of sin is death" I believe therefore that any act up to and including our destruction would be justified. Thankfully God has tempered his wrath and offered Grace through faith in his son.

Greed (as defined by Aquinas) Is the excessive desire for the temporal at the expense of the eternal. Others define it merely as the inordinate desire for material possessions. Psalm 24 says "The Earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it."

Sloth generally refers to spiritual laziness, meaning a failure of one's efforts to strengthen their relationship with God. If one were to include physical laziness I believe Hebrews 1:2-3 would suffice. "...through whom also he made the universe...sustaining all things by his powerful word."

Pride is the belief that oneself is essentially better than others. God has no equal against whom to compare himself against and is thus incapable of the sin of pride.

Lust is usually defined as excessive sexual want. I know of no instances where an act or motivation of God could be considered sexual.

Envy Refer to Greed I suppose. If all of creation belongs to God how can he be considered envious?

Gluttony is over-indulgence or over-consumption to the point of waste- obviously non applicable

“offered Grace through faith in his son.”

Indeed. All we need do is embrace the satanic notion that we should try to profit from a barbaric and needless human sacrifice and embrace the notion that it is good to punish the innocent instead of the guilty.

I am not an atheist but Satan and Christians want atheists to embrace barbaric human sacrifice and the notion that we should profit from punishing the innocent instead of the guilty and here you are preaching for Satan. Shame on you.

In reality, if God did demand such a barbaric sacrifice, he would be sinning.

He would know that barbaric human sacrifice is immoral.

You do too. Right?

Those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a so called son just to prove it's benevolence.

When you die, Satan will ask you; How was your ticket to heaven purchased?
With innocent blood?

When you say yes, you become his.

---------------------------------

“The Earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it."

Thanks for confirming God’s greed.

----------------------------------

“sustaining all things by his powerful word."

Are you saying that God is maintaining the status quo of about 10 million children under ten years of age who starve and die of other preventable causes yearly?

That makes him quite a prick in my book. Not in yours I take it?

He does that comparison by saying that we are to put no other Gods before him.

He is demanding that we feed his ego and pride.

“ Lust is usually defined as excessive sexual want. I know of no instances where an act or motivation of God could be considered sexual.”

A cuckolded Joseph might disagree. Especially when God became a deadbeat dad.

“If all of creation belongs to God how can he be considered envious?”

If?

If not, he would be.

Do you consider yourself owned and are those who own people not responsible for them? Think of those 10 million children again.

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Kind of disturbing to see how often "enlightenment" ideas are repackaged as if they are something new while the attacks on religion are more hateful, angry, and closed-minded than ever before. The extent of rebellion against God in our time is scary to behold. The wicked call evil good, and good evil.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Greatest I am

“offered Grace through faith in his son.”

Indeed. All we need do is embrace the satanic notion that we should try to profit from a barbaric and needless human sacrifice and embrace the notion that it is good to punish the innocent instead of the guilty.

I am not an atheist but Satan and Christians want atheists to embrace barbaric human sacrifice and the notion that we should profit from punishing the innocent instead of the guilty and here you are preaching for Satan. Shame on you.

In reality, if God did demand such a barbaric sacrifice, he would be sinning.

He would know that barbaric human sacrifice is immoral.

You do too. Right?

Those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a so called son just to prove it's benevolence.

When you die, Satan will ask you; How was your ticket to heaven purchased?
With innocent blood?

When you say yes, you become his.

Is this a joke? You're just demonstrating a profound misunderstanding in the sacrifice. God didn't HAVE to do it. That's actually a big part of the whole point. He chose to do it. And don't forget, Jesus is God so it's not exactly the same as God choosing a completely separate being and just destroying them.

Greatest I am

“The Earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it."

Thanks for confirming God’s greed.

----------------------------------

Or it's just a source of rightful ownership. Are you greedy because you build a table and can call it yours?

Greatest I am
“sustaining all things by his powerful word."

Are you saying that God is maintaining the status quo of about 10 million children under ten years of age who starve and die of other preventable causes yearly?

That makes him quite a prick in my book. Not in yours I take it?

I can't speak for Josephus' exact context for using that phrase, but I'd suggest you think more big picture. The results of our own free will destroying us is not the fault of God.

Greatest I am

He does that comparison by saying that we are to put no other Gods before him.

He is demanding that we feed his ego and pride.

Or it's a warning to us that those other "gods" don't even exist. They're false and serving them benefit us not at all.

Greatest I am

“ Lust is usually defined as excessive sexual want. I know of no instances where an act or motivation of God could be considered sexual.”

A cuckolded Joseph might disagree. Especially when God became a deadbeat dad.

Seriously?

Greatest I am

“If all of creation belongs to God how can he be considered envious?”

If?

If not, he would be.

Do you consider yourself owned and are those who own people not responsible for them? Think of those 10 million children again.

Think of free will again. But also, this line of thinking is limited by a focus on this life and not the next. A dying child is innocent and gets a one way ticket straight to Heaven. That's not really that terrible.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join