It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Silk Road Founder financially linked to Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakamoto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
From TheHackerNews.com

Into Bitcoins? This might have serious implications for the "untraceable" online currency...

Hacker News has an article outlining research by two Israeli scientists showing a more-than-circumstantial link between the Bitcoin creator "Satoshi Nakamoto" (an invented name for person/persons unknown) and Silk Road owner Ross William Ulbricht (aka "Dread Pirate Roberts") - currently under indictment for alleged murder for hire and operating the Silk Road as a criminal market place, selling drugs, identity theft, hacking related services, and worse.

The name "Satoshi Nakamoto" is a pseudonym, supposedly used by the Bitcoin creator to prevent Bitcoin from ever being compromised - yet when Ulbricht was busted for his Silk Road activities, the feds found a compelling link that the two Israeli scientists believed connect "Nakamoto" to Ulbricht - who, at the time of his bust. had more than USD 1.2 BILLION in Bitcoin in his accounts, along with another USD 80 million from drug sales commissions.

If - IF - Ulbricht and "Nakamoto" are one and the same - then he will have earned the title of criminal mastermind indeed.

It also casts a dour outlook on the future of Bitcoins.

The research paper:
How Did Dread Pirate Roberts Acquire and Protect His Bitcoin Wealth?
(s3.amazonaws.com)

An image the report indicates how much of the Bitcoin founders initial mining (some 77,000 Bitcoins) wound directly up in DPR's (Dread Pirate Roberts) accounts, these mining operations took place the first week Bitcoins went online.

Additional link:

Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto ‘linked’ to the Silk Road
(siliconangle.com)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Proof or it didn't happen.

Really, what is their "proof" of a link?

Kind of like how the large amounts of propaganda articles state silk road and the use of Bitcoins to be only for crime.

Roll my eyes on that one.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Less than 4 minutes after I post this you "demand proof", yet apparently couldn't be bothered to read any of the attached links, especially the PDF file from the two researchers. They didn't appear to set out to "prove" they were one and the same (a question raised only by Hacker News), rather they have shown, from public records, the strong financial connection between "Nakamoto" and "Dread Pirate Roberts" - literally, thousands of Bitcoins were immediately transferred by the Bitcoin founder account (assumed to by "Nakamoto") to DPR - worth hundreds of millions of dollars today. The feds established that account belonged to DPR when they raided and seized his computers.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Please excuse my ignorance, But the said Bitcoin, sounds like a fresh Titanic.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I read the information but to link the founder of Silk Road to a pseudonym is just sad research.

First, they don't have any proof that the origination account belongs to the founder of Bitcoin. At all.

Second, all they found was an account that dates back to the early days of Bitcoin, receiving a transfer in the early days of Bitcoin.

So again, no proof.

Proof or it's just another BS article.

Don't get me wrong, I have not bought Bitcoins and I am just watching this all play out because there's never been an open source fiat currency like it not controlled by Federal Banking Cartels. It will be interesting to see what happens.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Fair enough, apologies if I came across hotheaded. The two researchers did state they had to make that assumption that the mining account belonged to the founder, but they give a very good reason for that assumption in their paper.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Blackmarketeer
From TheHackerNews.com

If - IF - Ulbricht and "Nakamoto" are one and the same - then he will have earned the title of criminal mastermind indeed.

(siliconangle.com)

Wow, Definitely IF true. That would put him just above L Ron Hubbard. LRH only created a religion to scam people this guy would have created his own currency.

Or this could be smear tactic against bitcoin? Seems like a lot of negative publicity for BC while its value rises and endorsement of Virgin Galactic?

Interesting non the less.
edit on 25-11-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Blackmarketeer
Into Bitcoins? This might have serious implications for the "untraceable" online currency...

Has bitcoin ever claimed to be "untraceable"??
Like isnt there even a website (blockchain) that tracks every transaction?

Bitcoin is an anonymous currency in the sense that you dont need to provide any identification to obtain an account, but im pretty sure it has never claimed to be "untraceable".

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Strange how Israel will put this information out there about illegal money transfers and murder for hire.

What about Yuval Tal and Payoneer? They did the illegal assassination in Dubai. And the owner of Payoneer was even one of the people there at the hotel. Payoneer credit cards were used by almost all the assassins. And he is a ex Mossad agent or is he still Mossad?

www.therightperspective.org...

And here is his photo from the forged passport used at the hotel.

i.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 25-11-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

Exactly. And all the constant fud a out it proves nothing. Right now it's over 755 USD per coin. If anyone thinks its going away or going to be rendered meaningless they are deluded.

Im currently mining litecoins again.. i wish id not stopped. Cest la vie.

And i very much doubt the guy from sr is satoshi. One is very smart and the other got caught.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I think we should make a distinction between Israel (the state) and the two Israeli scientists. They are just two individuals who happen to be Israeli, and their paper is based off of public records related to Ulbricht's indictment.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

There at a school named after the first President of Israel who attended the school.

The document saying where the scientist are from.
s3.amazonaws.com...

The school and how it was named.
en.wikipedia.org...

The first President of Israel.
en.wikipedia.org...

Why separate them from Israel?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It was Israeli scientists, not Israel. I don't know what country you're from, but if you published some research, it'd be you publishing it, not your country

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MortlitantiFMMJ

Israel has a way of life they train into every body there. It starts with every body joins the IDF and must serve Israel. They train them and brain wash them that every thing is to be done for Israel. And you think some one at the main Israeli school is allowed to think outside the Israeli box? They would not be allowed in the school if they did that. Even dual citizens who move away are held to there Israel first way of thinking.

And not to mention Mamram. That is the IDF ran super computer that all computer traffic in Israel is ran through which is operated by the IDF. They monitor all communications in Israel. So much for freedom right. They are under the thumb of Israel and brain washed. So much for freedom right.
edit on 26-11-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Just saw this posted from PCWorld that says the story is bunk:

Link between Satoshi and Silk Road Dissolves

Not sure exactly what is true regarding this story but the article above seems pretty compelling.

new topics

top topics

join