It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black musician collects the robes of Klansmen he has converted from racism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It all began when Daryl Davis was preforming in an all white club in 1983 and a man in the audience came up to compliment him on his music. During the conversation, the man admitted to Davis that he was a Klansman. Many black men would have reacted with revulsion or fled in fear but, Davis continued talking with the man and they found common ground and became friends.

Davis' encounter with the Klansman led him to become more interested in the Klan and he sought out an interviews with other Klansmen. Initially, his first interview was tense. The Klansman brought along a nighthawk-a bodyguard dressed in military style fatigues-complete with a firearm. The bodyguard reached for his sidearm every time Davis reached into his bag to change the tape in his recorder but, eventually they were able to break the tension and laughed at their misconceptions about each other. Since then, Davis has made friends with over 20 Klansmen and is credited with dismantling the Klan in Maryland after he began making inroads with the members there.

How does Davis work this magic? He simply talks to the Klansmen like they were regular people. He allows them to speak their minds and he speaks his without any acrimony or accusations. Through this dialogue, he is able to break through the racism and form friendships.

KKK Member Walks up to Black Musician in Bar-but It’s Not a Joke, and What Happens Next Will Astound You

Davis also became close with Robert White, a Grand Dragon in the KKK. “I respect someone’s right to air their views whether they are wrong or right,” Davis says. “Robert White was a Grand Dragon who had gone to prison numerous times. I said I wanted to interview him for my book. At first, he was very violent and very hateful but we talked for a long time. Over time, he began thinking about a lot of things he had done and said that were wrong. He quit the Klan. Toward the end he said he would follow me to hell and back. …and he gave me his robe and hood, and his police uniform.”

Indeed, Davis says that the best way to break down barriers and improve race relations is for two people who disagree with each other to sit down and talk:

A lot of people have anti-racist groups. They get together and meet and have a diverse group and all they do and sit around and talk about how bad discrimination is. Then someone says ‘there’s a Klan group across town. Why don’t we invite them to come and talk to us?’ and the other person says ‘Oh no! We don’t want that guy here!’ Well, you’re doing the exact same thing they are. What’s the purpose of meeting with each other when we already agree? Find someone who disagrees and invite them to your table.

Invite your enemy to talk. Give them a platform to talk because then they will reciprocate. Invite your enemies to sit down and join you. You never know; some small thing you say might give them food for thought, and you will learn from them. Establish dialogue. It’s when the talking stops that the ground becomes fertile for fighting.

LV Guardian Express

Imagine that; instead of reacting to someone who hates you with more hate, you reach out your hand to them and begin a discussion that leads to mutual understanding and friendship.

Imagine if more people in the world were like Daryl Davis.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think this would happen more often if ignorant people would take the step to actually integrate and talk with those who are different from them. Most of us know that we are all basically the same. Those who don't know have not put forth the effort it takes to figure it out or they are just too hate filled to "see".

I wish this happened way more often than it does... but it is nice to see that it is happening at any rate.

edit on 11/25/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

A story of nobility, courage, humility and honour!

SnF!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I have a great deal of respect for this man. I can also recognize that it is well beyond my own capacity to manifest that sort of tolerance. I would certainly like to "invite him to my table" to use his turn of phrase.. He would be very interesting to talk to. I'm sure I would learn a lot.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
You'd be surprised how many things in common a person that hates has with the hated.

edit on 25-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Why is this not on the front page of ATS?

Who cares about Stars and Flags? This is a message to be passed on.

I must add a edit. People will only listen to people who listen as well. Sometimes hatred is to great for that.
edit on 25-11-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

TDawgRex

Why is this not on the front page of ATS?

Who cares about Stars and Flags? This is a message to be passed on.

I must add a edit. People will only listen to people who listen as well. Sometimes hatred is to great for that.
edit on 25-11-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

I agree with "Why is this not on the front page", stars and flags are not important, but communication is.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
I think this would happen more often if ignorant people would take the step to actually integrate and talk with those who are different from them. Most of us know that we are all basically the same. Those who don't know have not put forth the effort it takes to figure it out or they are just too hate filled to "see".

I wish this happened way more often than it does... but it is nice to see that it is happening at any rate.

Part of what keeps us all apart is the label you applied in your first sentence. Ignorant is not something that anyone wants to be labelled with. This would have been a perfect post, had you left that one word out.

ETA: I do that often myself. This might be the one post that will allow me to gain some self control of my keyboard.
edit on 11/25/2013 by BubbaJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Just read the entire article, Mr. Davis has a very valid take on things. He has done things that most in his shoes would not do. Am going to agree with Beezer on this one, this is a man of integrity and honor.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

BubbaJoe
I agree with "Why is this not on the front page", stars and flags are not important, but communication is.

The majority of my best friends have started out as enemies.

But we talked and hammered it out. They are my brothers and sisters. And we did have a great time hammering it out as well.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

TDawgRex

BubbaJoe

The majority of my best friends have started out as enemies.

But we talked and hammered it out. They are my brothers and sisters. And we did have a great time hammering it out as well.

I understand, my best friend in the entire world is a 6'4" gay black man, he was the best man at my wife and I's wedding. He and I met at my work, I was doing some machine work for him, he invited me to stop by for a beer, we sat dawn starting chatting, and within 15 mins he said, "If we are gonna hang out as friends, I have to tell you that I am gay", my response, "So". I have traveled with this man, shared hotel rooms, and we have basically shared our lives. My wife loves him, we have been to strip joints and gay bars, and there is no doubt in my mind, that he would lay down his life for me, as I would for him. He is my brother from another mother.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

I've always thought that agreeing to disagree is always an important first step.

Where the conversation goes from there is up to us. I've been bought plenty of beer by confrinting union folk in a arrogent manner but managed to splice a bit of humour into it as well. What can I say, I like a challenge.

Haven't been beat up yet. It's all about finding a common thread.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

TDawgRex

I've always thought that agreeing to disagree is always an important first step.

Where the conversation goes from there is up to us. I've been bought plenty of beer by confrinting union folk in a arrogent manner but managed to splice a bit of humour into it as well. What can I say, I like a challenge.

Haven't been beat up yet. It's all about finding a common thread.

I am not a union guy, but it is doing my father well, so will applaud it for that. I have friends and aquaintences from high to low, and left to right. Honestly from a client whose wife was appointed to a board by the President, to the dope dealer down the street, and pretty much everywhere in between. With the people I know, we can agree to disagree, but the conversation continues, like some one else said, as long as we are talking, we are not fighting.
edit on 11/25/2013 by BubbaJoe because: Think faster than I type

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I like videos. Have some videos.

News Clip:

Longer Lecture:

Lots more if you pop in Daryl Davis and the KKK into youtube.

I like stories like this and it seems often we have more in common with people we hate than we do differences. Great story and very interesting guy. Goes to show a little empathy, patience and respectful discourse can go a very long way.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Thank you for the heartwarming story FortAnthem. I truly believe that we can build a better world by projecting our inner good and human warmth. Once the positivity starts rolling, it will become very hard to stop.

Much love.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

FortAnthem
Imagine that; instead of reacting to someone who hates you with more hate, you reach out your hand to them and begin a discussion that leads to mutual understanding and friendship.

Imagine if more people in the world were like Daryl Davis.

Well said. That was one of the few ways I stopped bullies from harassing me, being told to ignore them or fight back didn't do much, but when I talked to them it stopped a lot of tension, may not have been friendship but it was understanding that I was a person just as they were. As with the fine example situation presented in the article, if only it could be that way with religion too.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Ignorant is not the same....

www.merriam-webster.com...

as stupid....

Many of us are ignorant about many things (myself included). It is what it is. It is not something that should be offensive.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
out of body experience, black people in france, have to go make up artists to be made up to look like white people. they are so shocked but clearly, we are all DEFINITELY related

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

Ignorant is not the same....

as stupid....

Many of us are ignorant about many things (myself included). It is what it is. It is not something that should be offensive.

I understand, I wasn't offended, just merely pointing out the "Label", too much of that going around.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This makes me wonder is Davis' approach would have any effect with the Republicans and the Democrats. Would they be better off if they were to open a dialogue with each other to see if they could find any common ground? Would it even be possible for our politicians to have a civilized discussion in the hyper-partisan political environment of today?

Me, I think both sides have good points. We need to watch the budget more closely but, how can a party call itself fiscally responsible while refusing to increase taxes to bring in enough revenue to stop or even reduce borrowing? We do need to bring the entitlement programs under control but, shouldn't be making cuts in a time when so many people are still hurting from the financial mess of 2008. Show some compassion and help the people out during the bad times and look to make cuts when the economy is better and it won't hurt so many people. Sure, the economy is over-regulated but, there is a need for some minimal level of regulations to keep big business from taking advantage of the little guy and the workers.

In most all problems facing the political world today, a little balance would go a long way towards solving a whole lot of problems. It also wouldn't hurt if they could admit when their policies have been a failure (trickle down and Obamacare) and work to fix their mistakes instead of doubling down on them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join