It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Detect First 'Clear Signs of Civilization' Beyond Earth - How will you react?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

just to point out - that if all suppositions in the OP were to come true - then it is higly likely that the scientists on keid-a would have observed the earth several hundred years ago - and concluded that it was almost certainly capable of supporting a carbon based biosphere - and further would have detected the 20th century activities of humanity - and concluded that an intelligent species inhabited " sol-3 "

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

ignorant_ape

just to point out - that if all suppositions in the OP were to come true - then it is higly likely that the scientists on keid-a would have observed the earth several hundred years ago - and concluded that it was almost certainly capable of supporting a carbon based biosphere - and further would have detected the 20th century activities of humanity - and concluded that an intelligent species inhabited " sol-3 "

Bingo.

So with that in mind, how would you feel? What would your thoughts be? Would it have anything to do with UFOs or other popular depictions of aliens or would you reserve judgement until something official could be said about the Keid inhabitants?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

BigfootNZ

Id say, "Finally..."

Id say in the following years alot of effort would be put into upping our ability to see them, and it would create a rather unusual tone here on earth. Given we'd take a long time to eventually get to meet em it would be like two kids in opposing apartment blocks waving to each other from the top floors... one day one of the kids might stop showing up and we wonder where they went and what happened to them, or theres a knock at the door (theirs or ours).

Brilliant analogy.

What do you think would be the case if despite all our best efforts to communicate they never showed up and we never learned much more other than they were there?

Would be interesting, might spur us onward to a new era, or could eventually create an atmosphere after a sufficient time similar to the attitude people had with the latter Moon missions, one of apathy and complete boredom, we humans are odd like that... id hope for the former, but im sure we'd go with the latter.

I suspect it would be a mixture of both. There would be some people who would be excited as they were in the Moon landing era. So much of our technology which we use today had its beginnings during the billions that were poured into Apollo. So many of the people in senior positions in the sciences were kids back then who just got interested in space and science as a result of the moon landings.

But like I said, there could very well be decades between the first detection and sharp images of their world and perhaps those images would be all we'd get.

Apathy and disinterest would likely follow at some point but there would always be that thing hanging over us that "there is someone out there better than us at what we're trying to do".

And to those also complaining about this guys thread...

I'm a girl.

this is a discussion forum isnt it, and hypotheticals are a good way of starting a discussion. How on earth did people get the initial impression this was a real story? (Granted this is the UFO forum, and people seem to take alot of what is shoved in here as fact from the onset)
edit on 25-11-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

I was surprised people thought it was real. I thought I had made it clear I was looking for input on what they would think or feel. It was right in the title from the beginning as was the fictional date, president, etc.
edit on 25-11-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

BigfootNZ
How on earth did people get the initial impression this was a real story?

Because the OP changed his original post to add in the *Disclamer*.

Everyone who clicked the post at first probably read through the entire OP before getting 'hypothetically rick-rolled'.

(-_-)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

iunlimited491

BigfootNZ

Everyone who clicked the post at first probably read through the entire OP before getting 'hypothetically rick-rolled'.

(-_-)

1. I'm a girl not a guy.

2. The original post always made it clear this was a hypothetical since the title itself posed a question.

3. If the title was not enough then the future date of November 25, 2019 should have been.

4. If you still got past that then President Hillary Clinton should have also made it clear this was a hypothetical scenario.

I honestly did not intent to mislead -anyone- here. I just figured most people's reading comprehension was good enough that they would not be "rick rolled" by a future based scenario in which I asked a question about from the outset in the title.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Don't worry OP, -
I ain't mad at ya.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

iunlimited491

BigfootNZ

(-_-)

Perhaps this wasn't obvious enough?

November 25, 2019

Unless people are REALLY unclear what year it is.
That was right at the top. Can't be any more clear than that!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I'm speaking for everyone else.
- I personally couldn't care less.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

iunlimited491
reply to post by superman2012

I'm speaking for everyone else.
- I personally couldn't care less.

I was responding for everyone on here that caught on more quickly then the others that couldn't comprehend.
I couldn't care less either, I just enjoy a good laugh.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
How will I react?

To me, it'd be like being stranded on an island for years alone only to one day find there's another island next to yours with another stranded person waving at you. It might be hard to cross the ocean to reach one another, but the fact that he or she is out there makes you feel a little better when going to sleep at night.

I think it'd be great. Hopefully they'd have a canoe they could visit in and take me for a ride! : Wink :

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I'm concerned about USA "liberating" that alien civilization just like what they did to Iraq, Afghanistan and many more nations.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Mon1k3r

Personally, I would be overjoyed by the news. Finally a good reason to shut down old, tired traditions, superstitions, and misconceptions. A reason for humans to be interested in something other than fashion, finances, and football. To learn something about something that actually has consequence.

What would it inspire you to change or do differently?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

starwarsisreal

I'm concerned about USA "liberating" that alien civilization just like what they did to Iraq, Afghanistan and many more nations.

I don't think we'd need to worry about that for awhile. Any type of interstellar mission would take the entire world's resources to mount, if one was ever approved (doubtful).

Even still, the technology to get there in any reasonable period of time (talking decades as opposed to hundreds or thousands of years) would probably take at least a century to develop.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

imho, you got a talent to be a movie writer

no kidding.

peace.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

dodol

imho, you got a talent to be a movie writer

no kidding.

peace.

Nah, I'd bore people because it would be hard sci-fi.

Now, KellyPrettyBear would absolutely do well to become a Hollywood sci-fi writer.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
First we'd send a probe*, to assess their military capacity and resources.

Then a delegation team(who may be mysteriously missing in action) to give a pretext for

New Operation Enduring Freedom (part VIIII)

Finally the 'Occupation of The New United States of Terra'

*assuming ftl is achieved

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

JadeStar

I was surprised people thought it was real. I thought I had made it clear I was looking for input on what they would think or feel. It was right in the title from the beginning as was the fictional date, president, etc.

You must reply before you can understand the OP.

edit on 25-11-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Nice post, like it...
2019 eh, i would only be 49...
Plenty of time left...

Story as such, verry possible...
Dates, years, persons and even organisations
doesnt need to be the same, it´s still
verry possible...

And i would love it..

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
November 25, 2019 -

Someone will create another Nibiru Thread.
Another someone will create another Anunnaki thread.
Another other someone will create some religious nutter thread.
Another other other will create a WWIII thread.
A Skunk Works Thread will pop up saying the civilization is OURs, built and colonized in secret by TPTB using TR3Bs or something.

It's a fun article.
Someone had some time on their hands.
S+F

edit on 11/25/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

and you will reply to at least one of the threads

peace.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Heat-Seeking, Alien-Hunting Telescope Could Be Ready in 5 Years
- Space.com

We might find aliens through the heat their civilizations give off, astronomers say, but it will take a megatelescope to do the job. Such a telescope, in fact, is planned.

The telescope — called Colossus — would be a massive 250-foot (77 meters) telescope, which is more than double the aperture of any telescope yet constructed.

To keep costs down, the proposed $1 billion telescope would use thin mirror technology and few large aperture mirror segments. The sensitivity of the scope, though, could be enough to spot cities or other signs of aliens for planets as far as 60 to 70 light-years from Earth, its backers said.

More at the link above.
edit on 26-11-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join