It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Detect First 'Clear Signs of Civilization' Beyond Earth - How will you react?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
(post by iunlimited491 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

smurfy
Come on Guys,
Why the replies to the OP? it is a contrived set-up, originally without the obvious disclaimer which was done in edit. Beware of humongous threads from an OP naming names without any confirmed citations whatsover. Strewth! Maybe Jade is Olivet.

You serious?
First clue is in the title "How will you react?".
Second clue was the first thing in the article, the date.
So, why the disclaimer?

Ask Jade not me, he/she is the who felt the need to edit the first post. No matter. Nor does the date matter that much since 2019 is a fashionable date.. for the present, and last year and so on. As for the disclaimer in edit, rubbish. It is no more than an exercise in credulity and nothing to do with, "how will you react" and later propounded with a ridiculous, "new telescope" youtube link.

The right forum should have been in short stories, or jokes and pranks, and it isn't..get the drift?

As for, "How will you react?" I have no fecking idea!
edit on 25-11-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I'd probably be upset too, had I not actually read the post first, rather than react to what I "thought" it said.

It's a good hypothetical, that leads to a great question.

Personally, my reaction would be "well, it's about time"
The distance is still STAGGERING in Earth terms. Our oldest traveling crafts, the Voyagers, are still within our Own Solar System's influence. And they were launched in the late 70's.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

1ofthe9
If this was disinfo, you wouldn't be able to recognize it. The psywar folks run a tight ship.

Understood. That was my point. This could have been so much fodder for the gullible, had it been presented correctly. What a shame.

Its a hypothetical situation and how you would react to it.

Personally, I would be overjoyed by the news. Finally a good reason to shut down old, tired traditions, superstitions, and misconceptions. A reason for humans to be interested in something other than fashion, finances, and football. To learn something about something that actually has consequence.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I would roll my eyes and say unexcitedly 'Woo, another war'.

I can't see why they would come here as visitors. I'm guessing they would be wanting some of our resources or studying us.

I would love communication with them but only if they stay where they are. Skype us now and again, that would be cool.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
As Parker Selfridge once said: "Look at all that Cheddar"...

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I would just say " I Told you so", and of course I would be excited, anybody that thinks were alone in the universe is not thinking outside the box, what a shame dont you think !

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Id say, "Finally..."

Then probably go back to what ever I was doing. Given its only 16 light years away, we could probably have a realistic chance of communicating with em. And the good thing is there would be little chance of us simply seeing an echo of a long since dead civilization given they are so close (granted we'd never be able to image a world so far away that what we see is a few thousand years behind the here and now any way).

Id say in the following years alot of effort would be put into upping our ability to see them, and it would create a rather unusual tone here on earth. Given we'd take a long time to eventually get to meet em it would be like two kids in opposing apartment blocks waving to each other from the top floors... one day one of the kids might stop showing up and we wonder where they went and what happened to them, or theres a knock at the door (theirs or ours).

Would be interesting, might spur us onward to a new era, or could eventually create an atmosphere after a sufficient time similar to the attitude people had with the latter Moon missions, one of apathy and complete boredom, we humans are odd like that... id hope for the former, but im sure we'd go with the latter.

iunlimited491

And to those also complaining about this guys thread... this is a discussion forum isnt it, and hypotheticals are a good way of starting a discussion. How on earth did people get the initial impression this was a real story? (Granted this is the UFO forum, and people seem to take alot of what is shoved in here as fact from the onset)
edit on 25-11-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

sparky31
[
i think those who really didn,t care would lose interest pretty quickly,so my message would be just tell whats to know,us that are actually interested will be the only ones still talking about it after two weeks.

This certainly would be the case because it might be years before anything else definitive could be said about such a civilization. There would be far more questions than answers for a long time as newer instruments were built to examine it. Perhaps in 50-100 years a probe or mission to it would be sent after plenty of debate and careful consideration.

But yeah, for your average person, when the news from the science team stopped coming in a couple of weeks everything would return to business as usual.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

ShayneJUK
then hope some fool doesn't try and contact them!

And the first images of Earth they'd recieve would be those of Adolph Hitler at the Olympics...
It's gonna make everyone here look like a bunch of d-bags.
We'd better hope they never find us!

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Another thought would be that plenty of radar installations in Russia and other parts of the Soviet Union would be turned into commercial operations to "Send your message to the Keids" ala Cosmic Call, Cosmic Call 2 and the Lone Signal Project people....

Examples...

List of interstellar radio messages

Lone Signal Project

edit on 25-11-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

midnightstar
get a life people this articial is like taht discovery program that immanged US sending a ship to a inhabited planet.
anyway Cool read they sure did a good job making it all fit into the real world .Give it a 10 on the best short scifi story of the year.
As for what would I feel? well kinda hard to say isnt it? easy to say wow it would be so cool .
But 16 light years citys twice as large as any wwe have ((implys a much larger poplation))
lights implys tek alest as adavanced as ours Citys size also says even higher tek then we have assuming
3 times the poplation of earth =ruffly 21 billion .
Bigger planet heaver gravity = meening they will be physicly stronger many times then we are .
so here we have this heavy gravity race with tek alest as good as ours .
Mite approch with coushion huuu?

Thanks very much for your reply. These are the kinds of thoughts I was hoping to gather.

Another thing you might want to consider is that if we could see them, and they are more advanced, chances are they could and would have seen us well before we could see them.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

It would be a hell of a fun to experience modern times 'The War of the Worlds'.

eta: lol Dr. Sho Sethak and Mitch Kako
edit on 25-11-2013 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

And Sarah Sagan (real life: Sara Seager) and Mark Jeffries (real life: Geoff Marcy).

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

Please let me know how you will react when this or something similar is confirmed.

Personally I will be pissed off, cause there'll be nothing we can do to see them
, or I will be living in denial with Pics or it didn't happen.

Do you think a lot of people would be in denial like that?

@OP: Please remove the disclaimer, date is sufficient

edit on 25-11-2013 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

I would but I've already been labelled a "disinfo agent" because I figured a future date an Hillary as president was enough of a tip off that the story was fictional.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I wont even yawn! What about detecting life in our own solar system first... since you know the planets are much closer than 16 light years from us? Why ignore all the evidence here? Someone has a dishonest agenda and that aint me.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Great one OP. I caught this earlier before you added the disclaimer and it was quite a story to allow just enough belief in to see how it might feel. Hmm.. It'll be a real mixed day, when this day finally comes. I have no question in my mind it will, eventually, too. Probably much like that depicts for how it's first found or, at least, explained to the public. Gotta get us used to the idea so people don't go bonkers...

A lot would probably depend on the tone of the piece. I can imagine a more sensational, tabloid type take on such a discovery: "High tech Advanced Aliens from 16 light Years Away Discovered and They know WE'RE HERE!"

or

"U.N. Preparing for World Government to face 'Alien Threat'."

Even if, by some odd chance, we're all totally wrong and have been all along about UFO's or Aliens actually having been here? It's a BIG BIG Universe, in 3 dimensions too ..as even I have to remember sometimes.. Odds are almost certain the day will come, eventually.

Yep. Pretty much. As summed up in these two real charts presented not long ago to make the case for using one of the space telescopes the National Reconnoissance Office (NRO) gave to NASA to study exoplanets:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
i think it's safe to say i wont be surprised since i knew they were out there my whole life and in fact, it's always felt quite odd that many do not already know this. you're in a universe housing trillions upon trillions of stars and planets, how ignorant must one be to not "know" they are all around us and have always been.

i believe the bigger question should be, how on earth did people ever allow others to teach them that there wasn't life all around our universe. how self centered we allowed ourselves to become as to actually think we were alone, "the center of the universe" they taught us. how funny is that?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

jheated5

I stopped reading at "President Hillary Clinton" they really went all out with their fiction writing dept eh??

Personally, I laughed at Mitch Kako!

Very cool story JadeStar! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! As I am sure that all of us would be much taller than them (if they were humanoid) I'm sure we could outrun them if needed!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

smurfy

Ask Jade not me, he/she is the who felt the need to edit the first post.

She. And yes, I edited to add the disclaimer after I saw that some people missed the the future date and thought it was real. I wanted to be clear that this was a future scenario I was looking for thoughts and feelings on rather than have people get the wrong idea about the motive for posting it.

No matter. Nor does the date matter that much since 2019 is a fashionable date.. for the present, and last year and so on. As for the disclaimer in edit, rubbish. It is no more than an exercise in credulity and nothing to do with, "how will you react" and later propounded with a ridiculous, "new telescope" youtube link.

The right forum should have been in short stories, or jokes and pranks, and it isn't..get the drift?

Really? So a very real scenario which might take place involving Aliens doesn't belong in the Aliens forum?

It is not that different from "What would you do if a UFO landed in your neighborhood?" posts now is it?

As for, "How will you react?" I have no fecking idea!
edit on 25-11-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Mon1k3r

1ofthe9
If this was disinfo, you wouldn't be able to recognize it. The psywar folks run a tight ship.

Understood. That was my point. This could have been so much fodder for the gullible, had it been presented correctly. What a shame.

That actually already happened once before....
BBC: Puzzle over alien 'discovery'

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join