It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M7.0 South Atlantic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Is it just me. Or are earthquakes around the world getting stronger?

M7.0 - SOUTH ATLANTIC OCEAN

Preliminary Earthquake Report
Magnitude 7.0
Date-Time
25 Nov 2013 06:27:33 UTC
25 Nov 2013 02:27:34 near epicenter
24 Nov 2013 22:27:33 standard time in your timezone
Location 53.881S 54.882W
Depth 10 km
Distances
314 km (194 mi) SE of Stanley, Falkland Islands
877 km (543 mi) E of Ushuaia, Argentina
998 km (618 mi) ESE of Rio Gallegos, Argentina
1031 km (639 mi) SE of Puerto Deseado, Argentina
314 km (194 mi) SE of Stanley, Falkland Islands
Location Uncertainty Horizontal: 0.0 km; Vertical 1.7 km
Parameters Nph = 194; Dmin = 326.7 km; Rmss = 1.11 seconds; Gp = 31°
Version =
Event ID us b000l5zn
For updates, maps, and technical information, see: Event Page or USGS Earthquake Hazards Program
National Earthquake Information Center
U.S. Geological Survey
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Additional Commentary

The November 25, 2013 M7.0 earthquake (06:27:33 UTC) southwest of the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic Ocean occurred as the result of strike slip faulting, on either a left-lateral fault striking ENE-WSW, or a right-lateral structure striking NNW-SSE. The location of the earthquake, near the ENE-WSW trending plate boundary between the South America and Scotia tectonic plates, suggests it is likely associated with left-lateral faulting along this margin. At the location of this earthquake, the Scotia plate moves ENE with respect to South America at a rate of approximately 9.5 mm/yr.

The November 25, 06:27:33 earthquake was the largest of 5 M5+ events that occurred in a similar area over an approximate 2-hour period, including a M5.6 earthquake 24 seconds prior to the M7.0 mainshock. Though this region experiences moderate-sized earthquakes relatively frequently – 15 M5+ events have occurred within 250 km of the November 25 earthquake over the past 40 years – large events are fairly uncommon. The largest nearby earthquake over the same time period was a M6.6 event in September 1993, 210 km to the east of the November 25 earthquake.

USGS

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Maybe we're just paying more attention? Somebody'd have to do a spreadsheet or something to be sure?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Caver78

Somebody like..... Puterman or Muzzy!

They have, and I am sure they would be happy to share.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Caver78

Ooooh Maybe the secret underground NAZI base in Nuschuabenland has finally sprung back to life?

Anyone?

Brittain's Secret War in the Antartic

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I wonder if this earthquake could be linked to that active volcano under the ice in Antarctica. I guess it was too deep to cause a Tsunami as I don’t see any alert for one either.

Another 3.0 in Yellowstone as well.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Caver78

That's true of course and there are more monitors being stationed around the world now, collecting the data, which might seem more.

It just doesn't seem we used to get many above mag 7.

According to USGS they aren't increasing but relatively constant.

The USGS estimates that several million earthquakes occur in the world each year. Many go undetected because they hit remote areas or have very small magnitudes. The NEIC now locates about 50 earthquakes each day, or about 20,000 a year. As more and more seismographs are installed in the world, more earthquakes can be and have been located.

However, the number of large earthquakes (magnitude 6.0 and greater) has stayed relatively constant. See: Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
There's statistics from 2000 to 2012 on this page

The deaths appear to have gone up
USGS

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Oh yes I forgot to mention in the op , no tsunami alerts issued
Thanks

I don't know much about the Antarctica' volcano

Someone with better knowledge might know by which plates shifted and the strike motion. I put that info in the added commentary post above.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The USGS says the quake followed four others that all measured more than 5.0, over a two-hour period leading up to the big quake. It says such quakes are uncommon in the region. Only 15 quakes of more than magnitude 5.0 had been measured in the region in the previous 40 years.

Source

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
This quake comes just over a week after a 7.7 magnitude event a few hundred kilometres away. The relationship between the two seems remarkable - but it may also be coincidental, according to this link: www.decodedscience.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SummerLightning

Tectonic plate shifts occurring frequently enough , seems they would all be associated. Just my opinion.

new topics

top topics

join