It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Evolution Group Files Lawsuit Against Kansas Education Board Over New Science Standards

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

jibajaba
Put me in the b-l-o-n-e-y camp and nuts to Darwin.
Schools should only teach the basics. They do not have any justification for teaching imperfection.

I agree wholeheartedly. They should start with basic things like spelling and grammar. Let's start it off shall we? B-O-L-O-G-N-A. Though I may be cheating, I memorized the Oscar Meyer song as a kid.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Why does it need to part of the curriculum in our schools anyway?

What does it contribute to our children learning how to be productive members of society?

Bottom line, no one can prove either theory, so why is this even an issue in our schools? I can think of many more important thing to teach our children, such as how to read, how to write, mathematics, etc etc.......

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but you seem to be advocating that school's teach the bare minimum needed to get by in life. Teach them just what they need to know "to be productive members of society"? Sounds like a great plan to take our country (or any country, really) further into the hole we've dug of not being the innovators and inventors of the world.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

No wonder I never did good in those speeeeelling bees. ee-i-ee-i-o.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Geez, I sure hope you're not a teacher. Your attitude is exactly why the education standards in this country are so far behind the rest of the developed world. Why do we need to teach Math, English, Social Studies... I guess we should only teach kids how to kneel and pray, right? I mean, what else to they really need to know, right? What an emense staement of ignorance you have created. I'm pretty sure you're a product of American education, so thanks for proving my point, (a point A doubt you'll ever understand). Why teach evolution.....unbelievable.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Yes! The way to get ahead in this world is by learning less. Finally! The truth is told. Thanks, genius.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Southern Guardian
So the excuse to remove evolution from public schools is that it's religious...

it is, it transforms into bigotry... social Darwinism whether you like it or not.

it is part of the Atheism ministry and it is grand in their sermon...

take a look around

Dawkins could be using his bigotry to fight the Islamation of England and France, but that would be "hate speech"

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TownCryer

Am I missing the subtle sarcasm somehow? Because I'm a little confused as to where I even implied let alone stated that less education was the answer when in fact I was saying we need to better educate our children. Maybe we could go back to the good ole days even and teach them to think critically for themselves.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

How is it that someone might begin to think critically if that person is not presented with all of the information? If a person is taught ONLY what the teacher wants that person to receive, that person is at the mercy of the instructor's biases. Only after receiving as much info as posible can someone start to make intelligent choices. Denying information that has been fairly widely accepted only promotes ignorance. Pretending something doesn't exist simply becuase you don't like does not make that thing actually disappear, you know?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TownCryer

Really?

Do you also suggest that future dentist doctors should learn thootfairy stories in school to get all informations, and future business coordinators should learn business from Santa Claus as that is how delivery should be done, easy and fast...

I bet this is your preferred way of surgery....

Do you really believe in invisible man in the sky?

Watch at end, when he tells some other good stories...

And to answer your question, no children should not learn about your believes, as not all children believe in fairy stories. Even my 8 year figure out that Santa is not real, as there is NO WAY according to her that he will fit his big stomach trough our little fireplace. Smart girl..

edit on 27-11-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Why does it need to part of the curriculum in our schools anyway?

What does it contribute to our children learning how to be productive members of society?

I am still waiting to see a primate turn into a man! Hasn't happened has it? I also don't believe in the religious aspect of why we are here either!

Bottom line, no one can prove either theory, so why is this even an issue in our schools? I can think of many more important thing to teach our children, such as how to read, how to write, mathematics, etc etc.......

Just more nonsense to put one group versus another group! What does it solve? Nothing! Crap like this is nothing more than a way to divide us more than we already are!

How is that working for us??

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes a theory. Anyone who says, "Evolution is just a theory" is confusing the terms "hypothesis" or "conjecture" with the term "theory", which is common but completely incorrect. A theory in science and mathematics is one of the STRONGEST claims you can make, i.e. it is a body of knowledge that, in math, has been concretely proven, and in science, is overwhelmingly supported by the evidence, provides testable hypothesis, and has as of yet stood up to all forms of scrutiny.

Evolution is not ONLY a theory, but at this point, is considered a FACT.

Creationism is NOT a theory in any sense: it is pseudoscience, and bad pseudoscience at that. Creationism, like most religious claims, presupposes the conclusions and tries to make the evidence fit those conclusions, which is intellectually dishonest. Real science looks at the evidence without making any assumptions about what it means, and then tries to find the simplest possible models that fully account for it. Real science is self-correcting: it is not afraid to admit when models are wrong and correct, revise, or abandon those models as needed to account for new evidence. Religion is not self-correcting as it must be, by its very nature, focused on self-preservation: it has a vested interest in stubbornly maintaining the presupposed conclusions at all costs.

So yes, evolution should and must be taught in any respectable science curriculum. Creationism is nonsense that has no place outside of a religious studies class. Any insistence to the contrary is merely a misunderstanding (or intellectual dishonesty) as to what science actually is. Anyone who suggests that atheism has anything to do with evolution or that evolution or atheism are religions is dead wrong and needs to be corrected.

Also, school is about much more than teaching children to be productive members of society. Learning history, for example, or literature, doesn't make on a more productive member of society, but they are essential elements of a well-rounded eduction and help teach children how to think critically and analytically, which are important skills in and of themselves.
edit on 2013-11-28 by vorpal22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Metallicus

Anti-Evolution Group Files Lawsuit Against Kansas Education Board Over New Science Standards

Nice title. You can tell right away this is going to be another liberal hit piece from our 'friends' at Huffington Post. I think they meant to say 'Creationists' not Anti-Evolution.

I think the truth is more in the middle somewhere...like guided evolution, but really there is no definitive proof of either theory being true. That being said I don't mind evolution being taught in schools because it is a valid theory like many others we teach in science. I just don't like biased hit pieces from either side of the aisle as all it does is serve to divide the population.

My two cents.

How is this a liberal hit piece? This group REALLY does oppose the teaching of evolution in schools: thus, it ACTUALLY IS anti-evolution. There's nothing liberal about that statement.

One could certainly make a claim for guided evolution and be consistent with the facts and evidence. However, creationism itself is NOT a theory: it is pseudoscientific nonsense that contradicts the evidence. To suggest it is a theory shows a misunderstanding of what constitutes a theory.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Lots of claims that atheism and evolution are the same thing and lead to bad society, no evidence to that effect. Just like your last thread.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

it is not I who claim they are one and the same, but now that you bring it up... I am quite sure atheism was first. Evolution shares a deep fundamentalism with atheism whether the followers of atheism know it or not.

atheism and evolution are two separate things, but once joined together coalesce to form a bigoted antichristian-only type of personality... I personally refer to atheism as soft satanism, and it is part of my religious duty to combat it from time to time, reaffirming my faith in Jesus.
edit on th412413p1100000024R41 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

SisyphusRide
Evolution shares a deep for fundamentalism with atheism whether the followers of atheism know it or nor.

So how does that work for people who believe in God and evolution?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

it's only a footnote, an assimilation if you will...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

AugustusMasonicus

SisyphusRide
Evolution shares a deep for fundamentalism with atheism whether the followers of atheism know it or nor.

So how does that work for people who believe in God and evolution?

the followers of God are not atheists...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

SisyphusRide
the followers of God are not atheists...

No kidding. But the way you phrased your remark it appears you equate belief in evolution to be the same as Atheism.

The two can be mutually exclusive.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

hey man you asked how it worked

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

SisyphusRide
hey man you asked how it worked

Honestly, I am still not following you. Are you stating that belief in evolution is akin to Atheism?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

TownCryer

How is it that someone might begin to think critically if that person is not presented with all of the information? If a person is taught ONLY what the teacher wants that person to receive, that person is at the mercy of the instructor's biases. Only after receiving as much info as posible can someone start to make intelligent choices. Denying information that has been fairly widely accepted only promotes ignorance. Pretending something doesn't exist simply becuase you don't like does not make that thing actually disappear, you know?

Maybe I'm just dense from overheating today but I'm still not quite clear what you're actually trying to get at. Lets try to simplify for a second. Are you saying that you are against evolution being taught or are you saying evolution as well as creation "science" should be taught side by side as equal theorems? I just want to answer this as appropriately as possible without misconceptions.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join