It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ObamaCare slams smokers with sky-high premium costs, could backfire

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by s4196606

What I'm getting at is that it is currently SOLELY just smokers who have to pay higher premiums. It's not like smoking is the only thing you can do to your body that is out and out harmful to it and causes medical problems later in life.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

dukeofjive696969
Are you people smokers, if not then what ever insurance company you decide to use will make you pay more money for behing a smoker.

It aint obamas fault lol

Tobacco is bad lol

Does Obamacare make other's also pay for my smoking addiction treatment, e-cigs, hypnosis, nicotine patches?
edit on 25-11-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Obama hates poor, uneducated, minorities.

oralcancerfoundation.org...

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Im sorry i dont understand your question, i am a smoker and every year i pay a bit more for whatever reason they deem to raise there prices for, i also have to do doctor checkups to make sure that my plan dosent get cut.

And you know what it isint obamas fault

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

butcherguy

Caver78
One thing everyone overlooks is TAXES.
Suppose everyone quit….your taxes would skyrocket since smokers are subsidizing all manner of things.

That, and a whole lot of govt subsidized tobacco farmers would be unemployed.

And their land would be an easy grab.

Considering some of that property sits in prime locations ... And there's a lot of it.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

dukeofjive696969
reply to post by IAMTAT

Im sorry i dont understand your question, i am a smoker and every year i pay a bit more for whatever reason they deem to raise there prices for, i also have to do doctor checkups to make sure that my plan dosent get cut.

And you know what it isint obamas fault

Why would YOU blame Obama anyway, is Obama the president of Canada?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

LeatherNLace
reply to post by jam321

Smokers are just the first part of the pie. Soon they will go after those other people who don't who don't live a healthy lifestyle

Good! Can't wait. People who lead unhealthy lifestyles are the primary cause for the annual increase in insurance rates.

I was going to ask you for proof of this, but in all honesty whatever chart or article you found me I could find three more citing the burden of government regulations as just as significant to not only the rise in insurance rates, but in healthcare in general. Besides, it doesn't really matter anyway. When you have this definition left to those who stand to make the most money from narrowly defining it, and creating a social paradigm that condemns any that do not conform I smell a rat.

This is an old yet effective play on the nastier aspect of self-righteousness that seems so inherent in human beings. It's a good racket though. Do you eat red meat more than twice a week? That is an unhealthy lifestyle. How about processed foods? You know you shouldn't do that. You don't eat enough fresh vegetables. Yes, I know they are more expensive, but it really is necessary, so ding again for an unhealthy lifestyle. Do you ever consume more than one alcoholic beverage in one day? Woops, unhealthy lifestyle. Do you participate in some form of cardiovascular exercise for at least twenty minutes at least three times a week? No? Well, that is unhealthy. You should exercise more. We don't care that you are working two jobs and don't have time.

"Unhealthy lifestyles" are the lifestyles of many Americans. Most particularly the poor, the working poor, and the lower middle class. If you want to buy into this finger-shaking tripe that is up to you, but I will maintain that it is counter-productive to not only society but you yourself personally (the latter on so many levels). But hey, we all have our vices don't we?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Isn't smoking a pre-existing condition?

*by the gods!*

Obamacare reeks of hypocrisy!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
First it was just Obamacare. Join or pay a penalty.

Now it's smoking. Quit, or pay a penalty.

Anyone seeing a trend here?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

jam321
Smokers are just the first part of the pie. Soon they will go after those other people who don't who don't live a healthy lifestyle as per government's desire. It's all about the money, no doubt about it.

Peace

That's the way things are in the UK. Smokers, drinkers, petrol users are all taxed heavily.

www.the-tma.org.uk...

But the government knows that there is a "sweet spot" where they can extract the most revenue. If taxes are too high, smokers give up. If taxes are too low, the government isn't getting enough money.

The same applies to alcohol taxation. They put taxes up so high on public bar sales, that people chose to stay at home and have parties instead, so the government was forced to reduce them.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Auricom
reply to post by Krazysh0t

It's funny because Obama is a smoker himself. I don't know if he quit or not though.

Pretty messed up that a health plan that's supposed to be easy and cheap is anything but, especially for certain people.

And if HE is smoking us taxpayers are paying for his insurance which will be the best insurance that a person can get. Now I really really want to fraud the IRS every chance I get.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

AWESOME!!! If you are going to intentionally give yourself cancer, then guess what? You should be uninsurable! Just die already. To complain about higher rates for smokers is pathetic. Smokers should consider themselves lucky that they can even get insurance. And I say this as a former smoker.

That's some attitude you have there.. Did you quit yesterday or what?

Just die already

..What? That's a little dramatic... We aren't all laying in our death beds. We're talking about smoking, not Russian roulette.

Frankly, It's my money and my life, I'll do whatever the hell I want with it. I shouldn't be taxed again. I think the ever increasing tax I pay when I buy a pack is quite enough.

Should people who eat McDonald's or other fast food regularly have higher premiums also? That's a pretty unhealthy habit. I could go down a list of unhealthy things people do, but we all know it's just about the $$$.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
You people that claim "smoking" is a pre-existing condition are ludicrous. It's an action and a choice. The same should go for all the fat bastards out there. And don't give me that medical condition business. Overeating and inactivity are choices, not medical conditions.
edit on 25-11-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

kx12x
I shouldn't be taxed again. I think the ever increasing tax I pay when I buy a pack is quite enough.

One has to wonder what 'they' are doing with those taxes after they collect them. Lining some other special interest's pocket I'm sure.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

yamammasamonkey
You people that claim "smoking" is a pre-existing condition are ludicrous. It's an action and a choice. The same should go for all the fat bastards out there. And don't give me that medical condition business. Overeating and inactivity are choices, not medical conditions.
edit on 25-11-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

It's an action and a choice.

Then why in the f### am I subsidizing abortions, birth control, pregnancies?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The entire health care plan including these penalties will backfire, very very few will be able to afford them at all, and then in another election, someone who gets a low pay real medicare will have to be brought in. In the year 2013, its hard to believe the US IS THE ONLY FIRST WORLD NATION WITHOUT MEDICAL COVERAGE AND UNIVERSAL CARE, at little or no cost. Ie. others are comparative to nothing, zero cost for fixed incomes, to 60-70 a month for a single person, just over a 100 for a family of 4. THAT IS AFFORDABLE. 200 isn't. 300 isn't. 400 isn't. 500 isn't.....so forth and so, unless these are annual and not monthly figures....!!!!! Abortions, covered. Smokers covered. Etc Etc Etc.
edit on 25-11-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Exactly. We shouldn't be.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I always fine pathetic how smokers tap themselves in the back thinking, and forcing themselves to believe, that smoking really isn't that bad...

A facade, a farce...you KNOW IT'S BAD.
Lying is bad and the worst is to lie to yourselves and deep inside you smokers KNOW YOU ARE.

I know how hard it is to quit, but it's worth it.
Put the odds on your side!

In my point of view, the beneficial entity providing health care to the person has every right to abuse in taxes in products that are bad for our health...

although the hypocrites up top making the decisions affecting taxes are not beneficial and don't deserve anything at the moment because the way things are now, money is a much higher priority than health.

It's quite sad actually.
edit on 25-11-2013 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

You can't have your cake and eat it too. The government either wants to let us keep smoking and tax it fairly, or have us quit and risk loosing a pretty nice tax revenue stream.

No-they want us smoking, and they want to sintax us. Because they are hypocrites. And them wanting us to quit is just more income, more reason to punish smokers. And last I knew, smoking was legal !

And the "Just die already" remark, we all will of something, and to each their own.(Not meant for you MM)

My mother quit smoking and 4 1/2 yrs later was DX'ed with cancer. My sister called the cancer society and was told that it's very common for people who quit smoking to get sick, even with cancer. It was explained to her that the body missed what it had, and in looking for ways to come to terms with the loss of (something) in the tobacco, can actually lead to cancer. I've no idea how true that is as it was my sister telling me, but I do know of several people who became sick after quitting.

Regardless-the whole thing is hypocritical of not only our Gov't, but Obama (smoker) himself.
edit on 25-11-2013 by RobinB022 because: no reason

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by s4196606

However, alcoholics, recreational drug users and the obese should be penalised with higher insurance premiums as well.

Sometimes the medical treatment itself is what causes obesity. I would not believe it either had it not happened to me. Huge amounts of steroids and injections, along with other ailments caused me to gain 10 pounds in just one month. One month!!! And I was not over-eating I assure you. It's been a very difficult struggle keeping myself steady, but before this type of 'medical' care I was 5'7" and 118, now I'm 5'5" (two inches shorter) and not saying my weight. I'm still a lady after all.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join