It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals were harmed in the making of these movies.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

a bunch of aliens took one of our family members captive, or all of us, to simply be stared at for entertainment purposes, we wouldn't like it!

Wow i have said that very thing seems so obvious to me we would call them monsters!

As far as birds, one of the biggest heart breakers to me, a bird in a cage, it is like breaking your kids legs so they will never leave home, so you can be with them and care for them! To FLY good god to take that away from a creature with this ability stuns me when people say they "LOVE" their bird.

I see the birds biting at the cage until they break their beaks, pulling out feathers...CLUE...they are not happy!

The beautiful birds that mate FOR LIFE! Not allowed to choose their own mate and have a family and FLY! Substituting their human companion for a mate makes the human happy..pitiful!

Ok sorry for going off...that is really a painful thing to me.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

MrLimpet

nixie_nox

Know how many humans get hurt during filming?

Difference is:

Humans know what they signing up for and get paid quite nicely to do so.

Animals dont have a choice.
edit on 25-11-2013 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

While I agree with the post you're replying to, that is true. However, it should be looked into but don't let become a distraction overall as it's not where a concern ends for animal welfare. If anyone is looking to get into Animal Rights activism, factory farming practices for example are a starting point. I don't really agree with animals in entertainment myself, movies included especially when in seemingly unnecessary roles where they may have a high risk of danger.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yes it is terrible when a being that feels pain is tortured, for entertainment or for convinience. Protect animals and children.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I shot an independent movie and we lost a horse due to broken legs, the scene was a jump and was fine in rehearsal but things went wrong, we paid to rent the horse for the day but the owner sent his son away and came back with a pistol, was a little shocking but I've seen worse growing up in south in a hunting family and worked at a meat packing plant slaughtering pigs/cows and horses for dog food in 80s. Anyhow we paid the man the price of the horse and a bit extra. By keeping him happy we reshot with new horse same color and got the scene and we passed our college class.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

This is... This is just appalling, how else can one say it?

I do not know how people from other locations see this issue, but coming from a nation of animal lovers, and being a person who views my responsibility toward the Earth and all its creatures as one of stewardship, where ever and however I might be called upon to be such, this disgusts me.

When I go to see a movie (on the rare occasion that I have the funds to do so) the relationship between characters and animals is often quite important. A rider and his mount, a boy and his dog, or cat, can often be key plot devices, and intrinsic to the dramatic effect of the film. The same can be said of some television series.

Where the relationship between animals and people is less of a plot device and more of a background feature, this also adds to the drama, drama which makes the movie industry billions of dollars. Look at the success of the adaptations of Tolkien. These tales were told on film, and contained many animals. Horses, sheep, goats, and all manner of other animals, many of which were important to the films effectiveness. To see these animals treated poorly, maintained and protected in a substandard manner, is just horrifying.

But moreover, it speaks to a cynicism and lack of emotional development among the people who are responsible for making it possible for these movies to be made. And I am not talking about producers and directors here, although there may be some cause for various productions to be looked into, in more depth on this subject. I am talking about every person who had any level of responsibility to keep these animals in good health and to care for their well being. The trainers themselves, who ought by rights, to have the greatest respect for their animals, the legal department of a production house, the people who make these things vanish under the rug... these people are utterly contemptible.

You may recall the scene in one of the LOTR movies, where Aragorn is woken up by his horse...

www.youtube.com...

Apologies for both the link (embed is not working for me, for no reason that I can discern), and the sappy, cringe worthy music. At roughly 1:16, one of the most wonderful bits of human/horse interaction I have ever witnessed on film comes about, and it is clear that Viggo Mortensen is a man who appreciates the importance of not just being able to ride, but also the bond between animals and people, whether they are using the animal to work, or for what amounts to an expensive game of "lets pretend". Further evidence that Mr Mortensen is a prince of a guy...

www.youtube.com...

Can you imagine how upset he would have been, if the horses had been left to fall into unmanaged ditches and ponds? Left without acceptable water and feed? The fellow may not actually BE Aragorn, but I have no doubt that he would kick a butt if the mood took him to do so, and that is likely one of the things that would incite him to such action.

The fact then, that such animal lovers are on the cast of these big movies and on the payroll of these big productions, means that there must be a certain point in the command chain of these productions, where such information simply cannot be found within the knowledge of those occupying certain positions. I wonder how far up and down the chain between coffee fetching lackeys, and bigshot directors, the information passes. It certainly brings into question the honesty of the people directly responsible for animal welfare for these productions.

And finally...

The AHA... what a bunch of two faced bastards. Giving the people who have allowed the needless and painful deaths of animals, a clean bill of health to continue to use them, despite there being evidence that these animals are not being treated well, and in some cases, in a fashion which results in their deaths, is frankly appalling, and the people who allowed this to happen at their end ought to be bloody well ashamed of themselves. This is a bloody outrage!

I can just, at the darker end of my spectrum of understanding, see how a producer, or a person commercially invested in a production, might be able to see their way to "forgetting" or covering up an animal related death or injury for the purposes of continuing to earn a vast sum of money. But working for the AHA or any similar animal welfare organisation, ought to mean that person is EMOTIONALLY invested in keeping animals safe, advocating for their rights to life and health, standing up for all the wonderful creatures which feature in the movies and television shows we watch, and indeed, all creatures not involved in the film making industry as well.

That they have been anything less than stringent and rigidly unwavering in that cause, limits their legitimacy as an organisation in my opinion, and is nearly as great an outrage as the deaths of the animals featured in the article to my mind.

What a ghastly state of affairs!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

It's sad to see any living creature caged up. Not being able to move freely is truly horrible. I know that more so now because I'm disabled. I hated being stuck in hospitals too. Not that I didn't think this way before. It's always seemed wrong.

The worse thing I saw was when I went to west Edmonton mall, years ago, and they had dolphins doing tricks. How cruel is that?? A small tank of water in the middle of a mall , with all that noise, no view of the sky, no ocean to swim in. There were other fish below the mall in tanks to see in some stupid submarine ride.

I would think when they are captured, it's the equivalent of that scene in war of the worlds when the aliens are taking humans away. Must be horrible. They must think of us this way and I don't blame them. One day they might wage a war against us.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

......Yawn.... oh look were having barbecue. Tasty, tasty barbecue. Made of dead animals. YUMMY!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

John Landis got people killed making a movie. That's where my screen name came from.

Also.. Cannibal Holocaust had animals killed intentionally (though i have heard that any animal killed was used completely by allowing the natives in the movie to cook and eat the animals).

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by bigman88

Like you can see there eyes angled downward like a human's eyes when sad.

YES like when a human is enslaved or imprisoned. I would have all zoo's and all slavery of animals stopped if I had my way.

Why should they make money for people instead of living their intended life. They don't get to choose a mate, many people don't realize animals CHOOSE most don't just mate with whatever comes along, some are very picky.
They don't get to make a home (nest, den, burrow) they don't get to breed and keep their young usually they are sold or die young. Many are displayed in a cute environment (cute to us) then they are caged in small areas after closing. Big cats spent their life pacing and clearly miserable.

Nothing like an uninformed vegan who doesn't know how zoos work. I am speaking of AZA accredited ones, not roadside zoos.

Many animals pass through zoos that people never see. They are rescued and rehabbed and turned to a refuge. What do you think happens to those tigers some rich nut bought and couldn't raise? The breeding programs have kept many species alive that otherwise would of been extinct.

They also have animals that are never on display because health or anxiety reasons. They are quietly taken care of out of sight.

Almost all of the animals in zoos today are captive bred. They were not stolen from the great outdoors.

Animals are not bred with someone for life, zoos have a shared breeding program. Which is why suddenly a new member of a zoo shows up. These animals are traded among establishments for breeding. Unless a species is very rare in which insemination is needed, animals don't breed with an animal they don't find acceptable. Only the healthiest, best specimens are shared for breeding purposes. And they change them up to keep genetics fresh.

If a zoo has a good standing and meets rigorous AZA accreditation, trust me, those animals receive better care than you or I. The keepers love them like family members and keep a very close eye on them. No one becomes a zookeeper for the money.

And the most important part of the function of zoos, which you miss, is the education of people as to that animal. It is hard to convince people that say a giraffe is a lovely creature whose habitat must be preserved if people never see one. Zoos and aquariums have proven to have a very positive benefit in teaching about conservation and stewardship of species and their locations. Studies have shown that even over a year later, people retain that information after visiting a zoo.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

MrLimpet

nixie_nox

Difference is:

Yea, and?

If most rabbits had a choice, they wouldn't get eaten by a coyote. If most animals have a choice, they wouldn't risk life and limb and precious resources about breeding. Humans are the only animals that have a choice over reproduction.

A husky having to play a part in a movie still has much better chances then fending for itself in the wild. Average life span of a husky or dog-12-14 years. Average lifespan of a wolf 6-8.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

nixie_nox

MrLimpet

nixie_nox

Difference is:

Yea, and?

Yea, and?

The comments you have made are anything less than ~~

Why be disrespectful and/or somewhat angry to other posters who are concerned about the welfare of animal's?

This is about abuse to animals in the entertainment industry.

If you are truly (as you say) "An Animal Advocate" ~~ Address those who are in the business of placing the animals in danger, not the posters who are concerned and/or upset about the wellbeing of the animals.

Peace

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is very sad to hear. I'm sure throughout the history of movies animals have been hurt as well as humans. The world of movie making is messed up.

Meanwhile 45 million turkeys are getting beheaded so I can give thanks.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I worked on a Chinese film called "Red cliff". The film was a Chinese production but some of the vfx was done by American companies. In some of the raw footage I saw horses being triped by the riders. They would have two ropes attached to the horses front legs. While the horse was running they would pull the ropes making the horses go down head first.
In some of the other battle scences they would have dead horses laying around on the field. One day during dailies someone remarked how much detail they put with with the fake dead horses. A vfx supervisor that was one set durning filming said "those aren't fake..... And they smelled really bad after a few days of filming"
But to top it all off they manged to also kill one crew member and wound six others.

So people can gripe about the U.S. productions but it's nothing compared to other places I've seen. In Bulgaria if they needed black smoke on the set they would just light a few tires on fire. Not to mention drunk extras shooting blanks while standing right next to each other. A blank will still kill you at close range, ala Brandon Lee.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join