It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Notifications pending'...how do I escape from Facebook?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
4 years ago, I bought a laptop and became a virgin (small v) internet user.

A friend of mine immediately urged me to join Facebook at a time when the sum total of my technological know-how was turning my laptop on and off.

I had a vague notion that FB was a place for schoolgirls to make new friends and gossip so, being that I'm a middle-aged male, I didn't think my joining was such a great idea (on several levels).

But I was green, I listened to my friend, he convinced me, I joined...

Joined using my real name and various details, mind, because dung-brains insisted that's what everyone does and it's fine.

I never posted a single comment.

Despite this, the FB admin team constantly harassed me with pointless and unwanted emails, cluttering up my inbox.

After about a year of this, I thought I'd better nip this in the bud and delete my FB account...but, to my horror, discovered I couldn't do this, only deactivate it.

So that's what I did.

So...no posts from me, not one, and my account deactivated...but still - after 4 years - I'm being bombarded with 'notifications pending' emails.

Please help - how do I escape??

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

Simple if they have customer support contact them as exercise your right to have them delete you completely.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I thought this would be enough....

Delete account

Your account will be ‘deactivated’ for two weeks. After this period it will be permanently deleted.

Do not login to your account during this time, it will cancel the deletion request.

Peace
edit on 25-11-2013 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Or

How do I permanently delete my account?

If you deactivate your account, your timeline disappears from the Facebook service immediately. People on Facebook won't be able to search for you, though some info, like messages you sent, may still be visible to others. We also save your timeline information (ex: friends, photos, interests, etc.) in case you want to come back.

If you don't think you'll use Facebook again, you can request to have your account permanently deleted. Please keep in mind that you won't be able to reactivate your account or retrieve anything you've added. Before you do this, you may want to download a copy of your info from Facebook. Then, if you'd like your account permanently deleted with no option for recovery, log into your account and fill out this form.

If you can't log in to your account, you'll need to reset your password first. To do this, go to www.facebook.com and click the Forgot your password? link below the password field. Once you’ve followed the instructions to reset your password and can log into your account, you can deactivate or delete your account using the steps outlined above.

How do I permanently delete my account?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Thanks, but I deactivated my account 3 years ago.

Still very much a member apparently.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Hmmm....I have no idea what might be going wrong.

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
You have to Burn your PC...it's the only way man....As The eagles once said...you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I "deactivated" my FB account, I had joined for the same reason as you (pressure from friends) and it took many MANY (at least 7) years for the Notifications to stop appearing in my inbox! Just resist all temptation to click on any of them, stand firm and you will prevail

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Hmm, have you tried the "edit notifications" setting? In the midst of burning down the world, did you overlook that, perhaps?

I have no idea if that would work. I would be amazed if something so bizarre and randomly named would do do something as fancy as edit the notifications you get. Turning them off, or on, or somewhere in between. I know, crazy me, right!!

But, you know, this is the internet... stranger things have happened.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Deactivate your account and remember to tick where it says to stop all incoming email and notifications from them to you and it will stop.

edit on 25-11-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I don't get that. Because they agreed, or because you asked?

Sort of "I'd never be a member of a club that would have me as a member!" type thing??

I guess the near 50 here are all good sorts though!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
i]reply to post by Bandolero

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Good to know you can "request" to have your account deleted, eh? He he.

reply to post by wiser3

It's a relief to hear it's not just me.

reply to post by winofiend

Yes, I've blocked FB emails now.

Shouldn't have to though after 3 years of quitting and never having posted.

Thanks for all your replies, people.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

CJCrawley
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Thanks, but I deactivated my account 3 years ago.

Still very much a member apparently.

Ok do you know you are a member? Are they contacting you via email or are you going to your FB page?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Log back into your FB account ( it will let you), then go back into your settings and select Deactivate again but this time OPT-OUT of any future emails from Facebook.

That way your account will go offline and you wont get any annoying emails from FB.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Do not take wlasikiewicz's advice. Do NOT log back in for any reason. Logging back in will reactivate your account, and you will need to go through the annoying process of deactivating again.

Google "Facebook permanent delete link" and you will find a random looking fb url that is not actually listed on Facebooks website. The real permanent delete link will erase every trace of you after a certain time period if you do not log in. Your information will be there forever if you do not use this one specific Permanent delete link.

Honestly, your best bet is to get a new email address. I feel like every month or so they make a new "policy" which enables them to reset all the settings and send more emails. It is ridiculous. Honestly, Facebooks emailing policy is absurd and must be a massive waste of resources.
edit on 25-11-2013 by Attentionwandered because: added info

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Deactivating and deleting a Facebook account are separate things. Deactivating means that you can still log back in at any moment. To fully delete FB you need to go to their delete page which one of the members above posted. Later.

new topics

top topics

join