It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Installing cameras to monitor POLICE activity at a convenience store?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
That's right, the owner of this store says he installed cameras to monitor the police after they've searched his employee over 100 times, and arrested him 56 times!!!

This is near where I grew up. I can't wait til I get on that one-way flight to my new home next year! Screw the Amerikan Police State

www.nydailynews.com...

Lots of videos in this link:
www.miamiherald.com...

edit on 25-11-2013 by 8675309jenny because: added second article

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That thread got very few posts though.
maybe ATS members have seen it all before, and it doesnt shock or outrage anymore.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Pretty much right on with your assumption.
Bad cops are out there and the only defense we have is to record them and report after the fact.
I would personally love to make it a condition of employment that if you wear a badge and a gun, you wear a camera as well.
Imagine all of the bad cops that would wash out and or be prosecuted.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 8675309jenny

He will sue and he'll win and he should win but unfortunately, the taxpayers are the ones who are paying.

We need to start suing the police individually in civil court.

Bankrupt each and every one of them.

edit on 25-11-2013 by gladtobehere because: spacing

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

g146541
Bad cops are out there and the only defense we have is to record them and report after the fact.

Report them to who, exactly?
Seems to be that the situation in the USA is that the cops perform their own accountability checks.

Here as example is where somebody went through the records of 10,149 complaints of excessive force, illegal searches, racial abuse, sexual abuse, and false arrests.

10,149 complaints.
And because the police perform the accountability check themselves, only a paltry 19 resulted in anything remotely resembling a disciplinary action against that bad cop.

Not a single charge of false arrest (planting drugs, guns, etc.) over this three-year period led to an incident of meaningful discipline.

In more than 85% of the CPD police abuse investigations analyzed, the accused officer was never even interviewed.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I'm a cop. These stories of other cops walking on people's rights and being lawless all over the news lately really piss me off. I can honestly tell you that these sort of things don't happen where I live / work. There is too much accountability and those that work around me are basically good people. Due to the very nature of police work, there will always be those that don't agree with decisions I have to make, but with the outrageous stories that are all too frequent in the news lately showing just how out of control some departments are, it makes me worry. I just try to make my little corner of the world as safe as I possibly can.

This doesn't add a whole lot to this thread I understand, but I just wanted to put it out there. There are times I can't wait to get out of it and have a job where I just go to work, make my widgets and go home. That would be nice......

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

It wouldn't surprise me if the 19 that got reports was due to a media outlet getting in to the mix of it.

I think the camera thing is a good idea. It's not like we don't have the tech now to make them so they wouldn't hinder the duties of the police and they wouldn't have need to fear them as long as they did as they should. But you'd have to make it so it was imposable to tamper with the recording and that if it was shut off or powered down they'd have to give reason or receive some punishment. Also a database would need to be setup to keep the recordings on file for around six years or more.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

bringmecoffee
I'm a cop. These stories of other cops walking on people's rights and being lawless all over the news lately really piss me off. I can honestly tell you that these sort of things don't happen where I live / work. There is too much accountability and those that work around me are basically good people. Due to the very nature of police work, there will always be those that don't agree with decisions I have to make, but with the outrageous stories that are all too frequent in the news lately showing just how out of control some departments are, it makes me worry. I just try to make my little corner of the world as safe as I possibly can.

This doesn't add a whole lot to this thread I understand, but I just wanted to put it out there. There are times I can't wait to get out of it and have a job where I just go to work, make my widgets and go home. That would be nice......

it does add a lot to the thread as i try to remind everyone i discuss this with that many cops are still decent people, but brother i see the numbers dropping, but then again the numbers of good people are dropping in every field i believe. police work is where the beginning signs of social deterioration will be seen more easily, that's just the nature of the beast.

thanks for being a decent human being as well as serving those you do, now if you see bad cops i would assume you would be the first to nullify the situation, we the humans of this country are counting on the decent cops to be our ears and eyes, because we are all in this together and the society you work on helping will be the one your family will have to live in also.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Report them to who, exactly?
Seems to be that the situation in the USA is that the cops perform their own accountability checks.

In a major department, it's the Internal Affairs Division. In small towns, it's State Police and with Sheriff or other mid size departments, State Police or FBI police the police.

It's a big joke for conspiracy hand wringing to some to just say 'they're all the same.. bahh they cover for each other' when nothing could come further from the truth in many cases. The "Police Police" like nothing better than to bust a cop and end a career. They have no investment in protecting corruption, as it's their literal job to destroy those they find guilty of it.

That doesn't equate to public disclosure for media feeding frenzy and that's a WHOLE different thing. Still, reporting bad cops to those who make it their business to hunt bad cops is always a good idea if it's a legitimate case. Cops will make you believe it will accomplish nothing....and they REALLY HOPE you believe that, because the truth is quite different often enough.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This happened in Florida. Florida has prisons for profit.

I believe the FDLE(Florida Department of Law Enforcement) would be the ones who are supposed to investigate cases like this. They almost always side on the Cop's side. A fair investigation will not happen.

The Blue Code or Blue Line, whatever it is called is real. Police looks the other way and cover up fellow cop's atrocities.

There are still good cops who do a good job and will not make an unjust arrest or trump up the charges when making an arrest. In my experience, the older officers with military experience do a great job while the younger guys are all too eager to make arrests and through the 'subject' to the ground.

A friend of a friend became a cop, he's in his 20's. He brags about taking people down and his favorite move is choke slamming someone. That just shows the kind of mentality the younger cops have.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
All k can add is that where I work, administration takes any complaint, big or small, very seriously. There is no shortage of discipline ( formal and informal) given out for those that stray. This is as it should be. Everything we do is audio and video recorded. That's why I never get upset when somebody records me. I usually point to my body mic and camera and make a bit of a joke of it, like hey! Now we are both making movies

A little common sense goes a long way in law enforcement. Sadly, sometimes it seems to be in short supply.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

I believe the FDLE(Florida Department of Law Enforcement) would be the ones who are supposed to investigate cases like this. They almost always side on the Cop's side. A fair investigation will not happen.

You make a good point and State Police are not always the pillars of justice we'd like to think they'd be (or whatever is the State level body to investigate local law enforcement, when needed).

I'll tell ya though... Even failed or 'No Cause' investigations have one thing that matters. A record showing they happened. Eventually, a bad cop WILL get himself jammed up where a courtroom and defense attorney is involved, and it won't be his defense attorney.

So, even complaints that go nowhere will, individually, give that future defense attorney what he needs to tear the bad cop to shreds in open court, if that is the only way justice comes to one who needs it, IMO.

new topics

top topics

join