It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Obamacare subsidy for some low-income Americans?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well now it seems there's a few 'notch gaps' and payment caps inside the ObamaCare subsidy program.

People of course were *promised* generous insurance payment subsidies when they were to buy on the exchanges.

However now we are hearing about some who in fact will not get the help that was so attractive and so desperately needed and *counted on*

And some notches vary from state to state.

And naturally, the people hardest hit by this are some of the very people who can least afford it.

Another sales pitch that became a passed ball ?

One of the basic tenets of Obamacare is that the government will help lower-income Americans -- anyone making less than about $45,900 a year -- pay for the health insurance everyone is now mandated to have.

But a CNN analysis shows that in the largest city in nearly every state, many low-income younger Americans won't get any subsidy at all. Administration officials said the reason so many Americans won't receive a subsidy is that the cost of insurance is lower than the government initially expected. Subsidies are calculated using a complicated formula based on the cost of insurance premiums, which can vary drastically from state to state, and even county to county.

That doesn't change the fact that in Chicago, a 27-year old will receive no subsidy to help offset premiums of more than $165 a month if he makes more than $27,400 a year.

CNN analysis: No Obamacare subsidy for some low-income Americans

Wild Pitch ?

or Foul Ball ?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I don't feel the least bit sorry for one dang person who was in favor of a government sponsored health care program.
Since when has the government come up with ANYTHING that hasn't been a cluster-F?
NO sympathy. Not one drop!
I do have sympathy for the few people that still possess enough intelligence to see how the government seems to be herding us toward the 'new, improved' chambers........
Nugget
edit on 1u1212America/Chicago301 by nugget1 because: Correct spelling

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Since when has the government come up with ANYTHING that hasn't been a cluster-F?

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Social Security
Medicare
Federal Deposit Insurance
The GI Bill
NASA
NOAA
NIH
CDC
Interstate Highway System
National Weather Service
DARPA (thanks for the Internet)
National Parks
Pell Grants
Public Libraries
FAA
NTSB
How about the military? A little pricey, but we seem to win.. a lot.

It's easy to talk smack, but people take for granted the standard of living we enjoy because of agencies and programs like those listed above.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

What about the OP though?

It would seem that the people that need the nanny state so dearly will be out in the cold.

As far as I know, Obama can't blame this on the Interstate Highway System.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
"To Provide For The Common Defense" needs to be amended to: 'To Provide For The Common Good'...

Kill off the Pentagon overages and the Banks and we'd be all set.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

One of the basic tenets of Obamacare is that the government will help lower-income Americans -- anyone making less than about $45,900 a year -- pay for the health insurance everyone is now mandated to have.

I already knew this. I make $36,000 and don't qualify for a subsidy. Of course I just assumed that I made too much, I didn't realize I was under the amount to earn a subsidy the whole time. Man this bill just keeps getting better and better.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
i think obama had a decent idea in mind, at least i like to believe this way. problem is far too many crooked hands worked on that bill and i don't think the original intent is anything close to what was butchered and passed after so many got "their way" with it. in any case what we have left is just a mess and i do not feel it will work at all in it's current form.

i do not feel health care for profit is the way to go, perhaps we should work on making health a not for profit system, then perhaps the corruption will ease a bit.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
You know what burns my bacon to a crisp?? Nothing NEW on this has been passed or done in a LONG time in terms of the basic law they are JUST NOW "interpreting" for us.

Where they heck were the "journalists" when we NEEDED this information? They were too busy brown nosing their way into preferred White House and Government interview access slots when they weren't picking up exclusive scoops to boost personal careers by Government favor.

We got sold down the river without a paddle and a leaky boat, in part, by THESE people now telling us about it. They COULD have been honest in 2009. They COULD have been honest in 2010. They chose not to and, like the people who wrote this nightmare, figured it would all work itself out somehow later. The ends justify the means...amen.

Well.. It's later, it has NOT worked itself out with some magic fairy dust and a good % of us are good and screwed.

I hope they're really proud of themselves in Media. A long time ago, the title of Journalist actually meant something and it wasn't just a political hack or a teleprompter reader as it's come to be today.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

theantediluvian
reply to post by nugget1

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Social Security
Medicare
Federal Deposit Insurance
The GI Bill
NASA
NOAA
NIH
CDC
Interstate Highway System
National Weather Service
DARPA (thanks for the Internet)
National Parks
Pell Grants
Public Libraries
FAA
NTSB
How about the military? A little pricey, but we seem to win.. a lot.

It's easy to talk smack, but people take for granted the standard of living we enjoy because of agencies and programs like those listed above.

I found your answer to be quite humorous. Do you even live in America?!!

Social Security...umm, let's see; it is no longer solvent, and they're talking about reducing benefits....
Medicare....hmm....after I pay for my Medicare insurance I have less than $700.00 to live on each month. You probably think I should just go on the 'government dole' and move into subsidized housing, get some foodstamps and Medicaid and be happy to sell my soul?
We'll see how good Federal deposit REALLY is in the future!

National Parks? Hmm...I remember the potus denying us access recently.....

G.I. bill? Last I heard, our Veterans aren't too happy.....
Military being pricey? Well, the current potus is certainly tackling THAT problem.....

Denial IS a country......it's called America.
Have a nice day.
Nugget

P.s. Where can I get a pair of your rose-colored glasses?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

If the government agencies you mentioned didn't have creative ways to re-interpret the millions of stupid things the upper management of idiots in the agencies decided to change, those programs would be worthless. They need to get rid of the people on top, the ones with big salaries and extravagant benies, the ones that are constantly changing things at high costs then changing them again when they don't work. The regular workers of the government don't even learn how to use a new expensive system and they change it. I think it is a poor tactic. I knew people who worked in and managed local offices of these agencies. They just shake their heads at the stupidity of the overeducated idiots running the programs. Every change seems to blow a lot of money, none of which benefits who it is supposed to. These people on top can take a cheap, simple, good idea and turn it into the most expensive and complicated money pit around that does nothing but confuse people and make them want to just retire or find another job.
edit on 25-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

I found your answer to be quite humorous. Do you even live in America?!!
Social Security...umm, let's see; it is no longer solvent, and they're talking about reducing benefits....
Medicare....hmm....after I pay for my Medicare insurance I have less than $700.00 to live on each month. You probably think I should just go on the 'government dole' and move into subsidized housing, get some foodstamps and Medicaid and be happy to sell my soul?
We'll see how good Federal deposit REALLY is in the future!
National Parks? Hmm...I remember the potus denying us access recently.....
G.I. bill? Last I heard, our Veterans aren't too happy.....
Military being pricey? Well, the current potus is certainly tackling THAT problem.....
Denial IS a country......it's called America.
Have a nice day.
Nugget

P.s. Where can I get a pair of your rose-colored glasses?

Social Security is insolvent?

Social Security has $2.73 Trillion in trust fund reserves.
Social Security reserves are still growing and will continue to grow through 2020.
Beginning in 2021, program costs are projected to exceed income, shrinking the trust funds.
The trust funds will be exhausted in 2033, the same year projected in the 2012 report.
After 2033, income will cover 77% of scheduled payments.

Source

GI Bill (bills)

Labor experts said at the time that the first GI Bill veterans turned out to be the best educated and the best trained in the history of the nation.

The Bureau of the Census reported that World War II veterans not only gained a significant edge in education over non veterans but overcame a temporary lag in earning power, increasing their income by 40 percent to the non veterans' 10 percent in the four years after 1947.

In a study of "Who's Who in America," Dr. Amos Yoder concluded: "It seems clear that the GI Bill made an important contribution to our society by making it possible for a sizable percentage of talented men to obtain a higher education, which equipped them to become leaders in our society."

source

You made the following statement:

The GI Bill post-WWII was one of the largest contributing factors to the growth of the American middle class. The word insolvent means "unable to pay debts owed." Social Security has $2.73 trillion dollars in reserve, does that sound insolvent? With no reform, it would still be solvent for the next 20 years. I don't know what the government shutdown has to do with the success of the National Parks Service?

Medicare....hmm....after I pay for my Medicare insurance I have less than $700.00 to live on each month.

Try getting health insurance some other way and let us know how that works out for you. Snarky comments about denial and rose-colored glasses might play to a certain crowd, but they don't change fact.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

So you believe that there is a Social Security Trust Fund? (let alone that it contains 2.73 TRILLION DOLLARS!)

Enough said.

edit on 25-11-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

You know that those that will be falling within the expansion of Medicaid will be the very poor and needy, this group were never taken into consideration under Obamacare, as their prime target is the productive tax payers.

Sadly most of the bulk of those with pre existing conditions are within the group that will not get any help from the ACA.

This tells you that the ACA is nothing but a scam to gouge the tax payers and enslave them to the insurance companies.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Labor experts said at the time that the first GI Bill veterans turned out to be the best educated and the best trained in the history of the nation. The Bureau of the Census reported that World War II veterans not only gained a significant edge in education over non veterans but overcame a temporary lag in earning power, increasing their income by 40 percent to the non veterans' 10 percent in the four years after 1947. In a study of "Who's Who in America," Dr. Amos Yoder concluded: "It seems clear that the GI Bill made an important contribution to our society by making it possible for a sizable percentage of talented men to obtain a higher education, which equipped them to become leaders in our society."

News flash: It is no longer 1947.
In early August of 2009, President Barack Obama stood with a group of young soldiers at George Mason University in Virginia and proudly announced that the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill, which he’d sponsored in the Senate, had taken effect.

“This is not simply a debt that we are repaying to the remarkable men and women who have served,” Obama said of the bill, which provides tuition and housing support to veterans. “We are letting those who have borne the heaviest burden lead us in to the 21st century.”

Three years later, the bill has failed to deliver on its promise for tens of thousands of young veterans, according to interviews with students and administrators. Student veterans from across the country report that the Department of Veterans Affairs simply hasn’t paid their tuition yet this semester, or that it just arrived, months late. Promised housing stipends, too, remain unpaid. Veterans are dipping into their savings, facing eviction, and taking out loans to get by. The culprit appears to be simple staffing shortages and bureaucratic sluggishness, but the consequences have been intensely disruptive.

Social Security has $2.73 Trillion in trust fund reserves. Social Security reserves are still growing and will continue to grow through 2020. Beginning in 2021, program costs are projected to exceed income, shrinking the trust funds. The trust funds will be exhausted in 2033, the same year projected in the 2012 report. After 2033, income will cover 77% of scheduled payments.

What Neither Candidate Will Admit -- Social Security Is Desperately Broke
www.forbes.com...

Try getting health insurance some other way and let us know how that works out for you. Snarky comments about denial and rose-colored glasses might play to a certain crowd, but they don't change fact.

Apparently you see nothing wrong with being owned by the government. You have my deepest sympathy.
The next generation will not have it so good.
Good day,
Nugget

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Wait, did you just offer all of those things as proof that the Govt has screwed things up???
Social Security is on the top???

This must be a joke.

All of those listed are huge money vacuums, with huge problems.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

nugget1

Labor experts said at the time that the first GI Bill veterans turned out to be the best educated and the best trained in the history of the nation. The Bureau of the Census reported that World War II veterans not only gained a significant edge in education over non veterans but overcame a temporary lag in earning power, increasing their income by 40 percent to the non veterans' 10 percent in the four years after 1947. In a study of "Who's Who in America," Dr. Amos Yoder concluded: "It seems clear that the GI Bill made an important contribution to our society by making it possible for a sizable percentage of talented men to obtain a higher education, which equipped them to become leaders in our society."

News flash: It is no longer 1947.
In early August of 2009, President Barack Obama stood with a group of young soldiers at George Mason University in Virginia and proudly announced that the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill, which he’d sponsored in the Senate, had taken effect.

“This is not simply a debt that we are repaying to the remarkable men and women who have served,” Obama said of the bill, which provides tuition and housing support to veterans. “We are letting those who have borne the heaviest burden lead us in to the 21st century.”

Three years later, the bill has failed to deliver on its promise for tens of thousands of young veterans, according to interviews with students and administrators. Student veterans from across the country report that the Department of Veterans Affairs simply hasn’t paid their tuition yet this semester, or that it just arrived, months late. Promised housing stipends, too, remain unpaid. Veterans are dipping into their savings, facing eviction, and taking out loans to get by. The culprit appears to be simple staffing shortages and bureaucratic sluggishness, but the consequences have been intensely disruptive.

Social Security has $2.73 Trillion in trust fund reserves. Social Security reserves are still growing and will continue to grow through 2020. Beginning in 2021, program costs are projected to exceed income, shrinking the trust funds. The trust funds will be exhausted in 2033, the same year projected in the 2012 report. After 2033, income will cover 77% of scheduled payments.

What Neither Candidate Will Admit -- Social Security Is Desperately Broke
www.forbes.com...

Apparently you see nothing wrong with being owned by the government. You have my deepest sympathy.
The next generation will not have it so good.
Good day,
Nugget

Owned by the government? Oh brother.

Based on your previous statements, I assume that you are collecting Social Security and Medicare? Should I then infer that benefiting from social welfare/insurance programs does not offend your sensibilities to such an extent that you feel obligated to refrain from doing so? Perhaps your vague disaffection stems from an inability to reconcile ideology and reality.

Most people are in favor of extending Social Security indefinitely. It's a program that operates with a 0.8% overhead and currently serves 57.1 million Americans. Because people are living longer and unemployment is high, there is a need to increase funding, cut benefits or some combination of the two. The sooner steps are taken, the less painful it will be. A worse case scenario based on projections would be would be waiting until 2033 to do anything and needing to increase payroll tax revenue by 32.8% (3.9% of taxable payroll) or decreasing benefits by 24% to maintain solvency (source).

This does not mean that Social Security is a "cluster-f" of a program, it means that modifications need to be made to accommodate our changing demographics.

I'm not going to expend a lot of time addressing your 2009 article on the post-9/11 GI Bill (passed in 2008)-- There have been changes made to that bill at least twice since the article.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

macman

Wait, did you just offer all of those things as proof that the Govt has screwed things up???
Social Security is on the top???

This must be a joke.

All of those listed are huge money vacuums, with huge problems.

Please explain why anything that I said is invalid.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by xuenchen

You know that those that will be falling within the expansion of Medicaid will be the very poor and needy, this group were never taken into consideration under Obamacare, as their prime target is the productive tax payers.

Sadly most of the bulk of those with pre existing conditions are within the group that will not get any help from the ACA.

This tells you that the ACA is nothing but a scam to gouge the tax payers and enslave them to the insurance companies.

They may be monetarily poor, but what if they have wealth?

There was a caller today to Limbaugh's show warning older Americans about the Medicaid expansion today. There was a Budget Reconciliation Bill passed in '93 that had a provision allowing the Feds (and the States) to go after people to recover assets for Medicaid costs. Obamacare has provisions that allow them to do it more aggressively. Some states do this; some states don't. Missouri is one that does.

He and his wife were both elderly retirees living solely on SS and his veterans disability. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The only way they could afford her care was for her to go on Medicaid. They legally separated all their assets in order to do it, and she spent three years on Medicaid before she passed away. Three weeks late, the state tried to take him to court to seize his wealth - the property he owned. The only thing that saved him was that he had signed it over to his grown children about 3 years and 3 months before his wife was diagnosed and went on Medicaid (it has a 3 year window so they know you aren't attempting to dodge their seizure efforts).

So, the new Medicaid expansion coupled with the more aggressive collection efforts could wind up being one of the biggest government land and asset grabs out recent history. If you have older relatives, make sure they know what's what or you could risk losing your inheritance to Obamacare via Medicaid.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Oh, and by the way, let's get real. The insurance companies sold their souls to the government with this bill. It's fascist through and through. Did you know there is a provision in it that mandates we taxpayers bail the companies out if they don't make enough?

No, they stand there for us to hate, but it's the government behind them pulling their strings and doing all the real dirty work.

That's fascism.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I don't argue with fools; they always beat me with experience.

Have a nice night,
Nugget

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join