It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, how DID you survive without a cellphone

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I have a $14 flip phone, pay as you go. It's had about 300 minutes on it for the past 2 years. I keep it in my car in case i break down or some other emergency.

I'm making it through life just fine without it.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
we lived without is because we didnt have it so we didnt know what we were missing. we didnt know any other way, we could go back to living without them now but it would be an adjustment.

i wouldnt say i hate them but my wife and i just detached ourselves. we both had smart phones. it had all the capabilities. we dont do the sociaal network thing. i post here and she has a crochet board. we do not do twitter and facebook.
anyway, we got rid of our smart phones. we shut them down, erased our data and sold them on craigslist. i ordered a basic prepaid phone from trac phone. it is super cheap, has calling and texting and the minutes double and roll over for 3 months. so, its $20 for 120 minutes and thats good for 3 months. we make sure it is charged but we dont even turn it on. when we go somewhere we take it with us in case there is an emergency. we only have one car so if one of us leaves without the other, the one leaving takes it.
i have a voip phone for the house that costs me $10 a month.

it is so much easier this way. if we are out and we get a flat or there is a situation its nice knowing we can call each other or a relative for help. we do not need to be reached all the time.
its nice to have that security though especially since we have a 14 month old.

when my daughter gets to be a teen though i am sure she will get a phone for the same reasons.
she is not going to have a phone that she can send 10,000 texts on or due facebook on. im not paying for that.

some people are addicted though. it is crazy how connected people need to be.
when my wife and i go to the store we like to observe and what we see are people buried into their phones. 90% of people have smart phones and while they are shopping they are texting or doing facebook. 2 days ago there was a lady on a skype video call as she shopped in the dairy aisle.
it is getting out of control.

it would make me very nervous is my wife or my wife and daughter went out and she didnt have a phone with her. in the old days you had to find a pay phone or if you broke down you had to knock on a strangers door. its nice knowing my wife dont have to do that.
thats all we need.

those smart phones cost us $100 a month. now i pay $10 a month for a home phone and $20 every 3 months for the cell. thats all we need.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Been use mobile for years .. signal not always best out where am - often no signal during monsoon season .. but first son got it for me to be able keep in touch with them .. using tab 3 that second son gave me last trip downriver ( rooted and degoogled custom rom ) aside from calls from them it gets used to browse ats and will admit at my age have got hooked on playing galaxy on fire 2 ..

Gps never use - never have needed good sense of direction .
mms - not use get pics of grandson sent to me on LINE app.
sms - never use

Technology is a tool that is often misused .. managed quite well in the days before mobile phones.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mlifeoutthere

How do I survive without a cellphone?

By taking the sim card and battery out of the cellphone!

DOH!

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

buster2010
reply to post by Spookybelle

Yes you can live without it, but not as well.

Oh please. I have never had a cell phone and I see no need to carry an electronic leash around.

If I carry a cell phone around in one of my pants' pockets with the phone's battery and sim card sitting in the other pant's pocket, does that qualify as carrying an leash?

More like an out-of-power disconnected leash if you ask me..

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I've made a pledge to never own a smart phone. I refuse. I will never.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

eletheia

GoldenObserver

I STILL survive without a cellphone, very easily I might add, although I am the ONLY person that I know without one.

NO You are NOT alone ... You belong to a small exclusive club on ATS along with
myself and other members being :-

# Happyi
# Taissa
# Pikestaff
# Dick7704
# Orionthehunter
# rickymouse
# TKDRL
# Midyew
# buster2010
# Tardacus
# Ph03n1x .... IF he hasn't relapsed Lol!!!
edit on 25-11-2013 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

You can add # YourGod to this List.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Boy, it didn't take long for this topic to turn into yet another "us versus them" type deal did it? We got the pro-cell phone types going giving the tired ol' "progress is great, get out of your caves ya old and pretentious fools" garbage, and we got the anti-cell phone types giving the tired ol' " why back in my day" crap. We even seem to be making rosters of these trivial teams (just look back one page or so). There seems to only be one or two posters here so far who actually see this for what it is, and that is the destruction of balance in our lives.

Technology is more than just some gizmo that contains precious metals and a circuit board. The wheel is technology, a rake is technology. All technology is tools at our disposal to be used responsibly and reasonably, but it shouldnt reach the point where we are losing mental capacity for the sake of novelty, entertainment and far too much ease. Remember that old saying " Use it or lose it". Many are not using their capacities to remember and figure out, because we've gone far beyond "balance" and rely on things such as cell-phones to perform the duties we used to do mentally, and as a consequence we are losing it. Why waste time remembering or figuring things out when you can Google it, Wiki it or YouTube it?

There is a level beyond "integrating technology into our lives", and that level is "integrating technology into our bodies", otherwise known as "transhumanism". This concept is truly scary, and this is a vital part of the endgame the PTB are really pushing us towards. It's a sad and sorry predicament when people start to believe that the human body, inside and out, is a clumsy and inefficient thing that can be improved by integrating it, or flat-out replacing it, with "superior" technology. An increasingly brain-dead and spiritually-dead populace will start to see this more and more as a good idea and will accept mutilating their bodies for this "upgrade". You can see things such as Google Glass as a significant step towards this acceptance. Sure, its basically just glasses with a computer, but these kinds of things always start out innocently enough. "Novelty and entertainment."

Oh, and for the record, I see cell phones and many other mobile devices as largely unnecessary , in terms of functionality and expense, and therefore do not, and will not, own one.
edit on 11/28/2013 by SerratedSoul because: adding my personal stance on cell phones

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

That makes me feel much better! I hope we can spread the sickness.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
You know. I remember when ...yeah, yeah, yeah

rachet...clickettyclicketyclicketyclickety

and that was without dialing one and the area code.

I'm a crusty fart and I love my phone.
I read books , lots of them free.
I watch tv and movies
I e-mail
I use the internet
I can have a conversation face to face with someone half a world away
Texting (when I don't WANT to talk to somebody)
A program to tell me where I'm going, how to get there and when I'll need to stop and take a leak.
I can do my banking, buy stuff, check the weather, play a game, listen to music....

It even makes phone calls.

I use it because it makes things easy. I don't do social networking though. Virtual friends are just ... odd.
How can you say you have 632 friends on facebook when you actually only talk face to face with about three of them?

By the same token.

How backed up does your plumbing have to be to pretend that a smartphone is a bad thing?
They're spectacular.

Too bad people have stopped seeing these things as the fantastic creations that they are and now see them as life support systems.

It shouldn't be that hard to see a middle road between "cell phones are the Devil" and "If I don't get the new I-Phone upgrade I'll die."

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

Your Electric Power goes out in your home , Cell Towers cease to function because of a Severe Storm with High Winds in your Area . Your Home Phone is Connected to the Internet , and it to is Disabled . Back in the 80's People Still had Land Line Telephones that Worked Even If the Power was Out . Nowadays that is All Gone . Our present Technology has Actually Enslaved us All with a False Sense of Convenience . Thank God CB Radios Still Exist ! ...........

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

badgerprints
"If I don't get the new I-Phone upgrade I'll die."

I hear the new eye-phone can be painful at 1st.. Here is a demonstration of how they work..

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I've been thinking about getting a smart phone for the last 2 years but still haven't. I almost splurged about a year ago and almost bought one but they were out of stock and did not know when it would be back in stock. What I see as problems right now is that many plans offer services but they have no coverage or very poor coverage in many areas. Then there is a cost issue.

Instead of a simple phone that I only use for emergencies, if I bought a smart phone I could use for other things, if I go with a phone with lots of data, those plans tend to get expensive or up to $40 or even $55 per month or more. That is up around $600 per year that I am not spending now and seem to be getting by ok. However I understand there is a convenience factor. My convenience factor does not seem to be there. I could call someone but they are often already on the phone and I wouldn't be able to get through unless I called earlier, no smart phone needed. I was thinking if I made risky stock investments, I would be able to keep better track of those investments. However the best plan might be never to make the risky investments in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join