It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Pastor Says He Found Bibles in Costco’s Fiction Section

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by VoidHawk

…he spent a week tearing them up and flushing them down the loo, he told me there was no way he was going to be involved with filling children's heads with that!

LOL, good for him. Of course its fiction. But even fiction has good advice or we wouldn't read it either.
I agree with not filling kids minds with religion before they even comprehend. Thats a crime.

God forbid we should wait for children to ask us instead of force feeding them. The amount of minds that have been pre ruined under that guise would fill a world with hate and murder…

oh

I'll tell you what really made him flush the books. There's a local guy who can often be seen and heard! preaching to people that the baby jesus will save them all. This guy goes door to door and brings his children with him. Nobody has ever seen a smile on any of his childrens faces. One day he was in my friends book shop and he bashed my friends ears with all sorts reasons why he should let the baby jesus into his heart. My friend tried several times to talk to the guys children, but neither of them would say a word. If this event hadn't happened I suspect he may not have flushed the books, but he just felt so sorry for those two kids that he was determined that he would not be involved in any way with any other kids having to suffer what they clearly had/were.

I dont usually bash on the religions, each to their own is my motto, but kids should be left to make up their own minds.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I don't usually bash on the religions, each to their own is my motto, but kids should be left to make up their own minds.

I do (bash). Its taken me a lifetime to overcome the messed up thinking I was indoctrinated into at an early age by churchianity. I am just now able to be open enough to speak my mind about it without guilt or fear of hell fire. And I don't even need disclaimers anymore (mostly).

What a mind job. I agree, Double especially on kids.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

intrptr

I don't usually bash on the religions, each to their own is my motto, but kids should be left to make up their own minds.

I do (bash). Its taken me a lifetime to overcome the messed up thinking I was indoctrinated into at an early age by churchianity. I am just now able to be open enough to speak my mind about it without guilt or fear of hell fire. And I don't even need disclaimers anymore (mostly).

What a mind job. I agree, Double especially on kids.

Wow, glad you made it through.
Sometimes I'd like to bash, but I try not to, I live my life the way I want, therefore should allow them to do the same.
I was so lucky as a child, my parents left me to make my own mind up about most things in life, just nudged me when I needed it.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I was so lucky as a child, my parents left me to make my own mind up about most things in life, just nudged me when I needed it.

If you have any kids they are fortunate to have you as a parent.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Im a Christian...but can kind of see the point. Its historical with a lot not proven with sources in conflict, other than faith by believers that its completely real and true.

One has to have FAITH that it is...all of it...real. Not everyone does as there are many different customers of different faiths using COSTCO.

There could for instance, be a book on a World Leader say. And it may have been written by real people, with real documented historical facts. Those who are exposed to it believe it and have faith that all is true. Later, information comes out that the works' twisted facts and sources, and places the work in question.

I believe it not unrealistic to then see that work as questionable, and it facts and convictions, writers and implications...in doubt.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

1Providence1

redoubt

This can't be challenged anymore. If retailers like Wally and Target choose to tag Bibles this way, complaints will only result in more negativity being tossed at the Christian faith. In the end, people can no longer opt not to shop at these stores because most independent retailers have long since fallen in the shadow of these big box stores. Locally, grocery stores are closing every year and smaller strip malls remain empty.

It's not right to treat your customers this way... to tag their lifelong beliefs in faith as 'fiction'. It is in large part because these people have shopped with you for the last two decades that you've become the sole supplier of so many things. But complaints no longer matter because there is no competition.

The concepts of that old game, Monopoly, come home in ways we could have never expected.

edit on 24-11-2013 by redoubt because: typo repair

It's a war on people's beliefs. Many people are guilty for "Attacking" others beliefs in some way, shape, or form.

not to mention the boycotts and negative publicity.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

So, I found Darwins Theory in the scientific section. Hilarious.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
there can be truth in fiction

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

ghostfacekilah00

Intentional on somebody's part no doubt. To claim that nobody noticed this mistake before the decision to put the Bible on the shelf in the fiction section is very likely a lie.

So the bibles were intentionally put on display labeled "fiction" where they would obviously antagonize the overwhelming majority of the customers who might purchase said bibles?

Sorry, I don't see that happening. Worshiping the almighty greenback is the real religion practiced by Costco and almost everyone else in this country.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The Bible is fiction. It's a book of mythology, some of it not even unique/original to the Bible. If you're going to find a book on Enki, Vishnu, or the Morrigan in the fiction section, then that is exactly where the Bible belongs as well. Better yet, why not put it in, as suggested somewhere above, the "religion / spirituality" section that numerous chains (from Barnes and Noble to Goodwill) have? Or, as I do in my own personal library: put it in the section with other works on mythology, like Greek, Hindu, Mesopotamian, and Celtic myths. The Bible is just as fictitious as the Mahabharata, the Mabinogion, or the Epic of Gilgamesh.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   

UnBreakable
Whew, luckily Costco corrected their mistake. It almost made me think that Jonah living in the great fish's stomach for three days wasn't true. How are Bible stories different than The Lord of the Rings trilogy? In fact I think the Hobbit's tales are more believable than the man-made stories in the Bible.

in the Bible the people were actually real, and the places actually exist. Take Babylon for instance, it was discovered at the beginning of the 19th century. I doubt the archeologist would have even known what it was or even where to go looking if it wasn't for the Bible.

there are many instances like this... Lord of the Rings is fantasy, the Bible is history.

en.wikipedia.org...

scroll down to some of the "selected discoveries" and that's the short list of things we wouldn't even been able to identify, or know existed in order for archeologist to go looking for them in the first.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
NEWS FLASH !!! Placing belief into a religion does not make that belief fact. The Bible is not the transcript of a documentary. The events descibed in the Bible can not be independently verified. Therefore, the events described in the Bible cannot be considered factual. Yes, some of the places mentioned in the Bible do exist. Yes, some of the people in the Bible did exist. But, if I wrote a story about JFK and I traveling in a rocket ship to Mars, the mere mention of a historical figure in my story does not make my story non-fiction. The same goes for the Bible. If an individual wants to believe that everything in the Bible is true - go for it. That's great, for him/her. But that person's beliefs have no effect in the rest of the world, (or, at least they shouldn't).

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
If people believe it is real, why can't people believe it isn't real? I think it should be included in both sections!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Hmmmm Talking Snakes and Donkeys, Unicorns, an invisible magic genocidal man and his Zombie son...

All sounds real to me...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The Bible is considered by many of its faithful to be "The Living Word Of God". In essence, "channeled" material.

While it is obvious of more personal importance to more people than the Book of Ra, both represent what is claimed by their followers to be material channeled from above.

I am sure a Christian will feel that my observation is an insult. It is not meant to be so....it is just my way to putting this in context, removing the mob power of the Bibles name recognition (and its history in our culture).

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

superman2012
If people believe it is real, why can't people believe it isn't real? I think it should be included in both sections!

Heisenberg's Bible

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Lol...that's where it belongs along with the Sylvia Browne books lol...
I think that's awesome, truth in a company, I'm amazed. But, this is Costco who tends to be one of the best employers in America cause they pay so well, and they have ethics. So I am not that surprised.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

TownCryer
NEWS FLASH !!! Placing belief into a religion does not make that belief fact. The Bible is not the transcript of a documentary. The events descibed in the Bible can not be independently verified.

but the places and time frames can be independently determined so scientifically that leaves the subject open to debate.

archeological evidence spanning from 2000 BC to the 1st century AD being found all in one book just can not be dismissed ... nor can discovery of the Rosetta Stone and the information we've gleaned from the hieroglyphs about the historicity of the Bible.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Grimpachi

What do you think ATS intentional or mistake?

edit on 24-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

the product was not just mistakenly placed in the 'fiction' section of bookshelves...

It Is More Involved than that...

from the pic... i see that the product (book)... was wrapped in plastic and a label attached

so that decision to have a COSTCO skew # & product code # label, identified as 'FICTION'
and priced at $14.99 USD was made at the Corporate level...and not at the outlet store level

As to whether the 'faux pas' was a marketing judgement or a slam on religion, sociology-psychology or any other sub category is left up to the observer...

the answer might come from the pricing Gurus at COSTCO HQ

communicate with the committee who decided the price and label information... perhaps the publisher itself sold the product as 'Fiction' with a MSRP of $14.99 to CostCo
edit on 26-11-2013 by St Udio because: x for S

the contents are a matrix of many levels & of word codes... it could also be described as a Escher Puzzle using words instead of vision
edit on 26-11-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have no problem with it, but if the Christian bible is put under "fiction" there better be a Torah and a Quran next to it. (But I bet you there won't be because Costco doesn't have the balls.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join