California Pastor Says He Found Bibles in Costco’s Fiction Section

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Caleb Kaltenbach, lead pastor at the nondenominational Discovery Church in Simi Valley, said he was shocked to find the holy book had been relegated to the fiction section, and would presumably share the shelves with the likes of “Fifty Shades of Grey” and John Grisham novels.

“I never, ever in my entire life had seen a Bible labeled as fiction,” Kaltenbach told ABCNews.com. “I just took the picture. I think really what has been revealed is a larger conversation over faith. There are people who are passionate about their faith in Christ and passionate against it.”

Costco said in a statement to ABCNews.com that a “small percentage of the Bibles” were mislabeled by the distributor.

“However, we take responsibility and should have caught the mistake,” the statement read. “We are correcting this with them for future distribution. In addition, we are immediately relabeling all mislabeled Bibles.”

The pastor said he doesn’t hold the mistake against the mega store, which is known for selling everything from diamond rings to jars of peanut butter the size of a human head.

“I love Costco,” he said. “I still plan to shop there a lot.”
abc

I like Costco as well. They have great deals on steak.

Anyway I am just saying it is kind of funny. I would have never thought something was wrong if I found a bible in the fiction section. Either someone thought it was supposed to be labeled as fiction or they were making a statement. What do you think ATS intentional or mistake?

edit on 24-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

That's why they have a separate religious section, to keep the questionables in their own cubbyhole. The Book of Mormon in particular, just to throw a dart at a dartboard, could that be labeled as fiction and get an argument coherent enough to change its status?

edit on 24-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Grimpachi

Caleb Kaltenbach, lead pastor at the nondenominational Discovery Church in Simi Valley, said he was shocked to find the holy book had been relegated to the fiction section, and would presumably share the shelves with the likes of “Fifty Shades of Grey” and John Grisham novels.

“I never, ever in my entire life had seen a Bible labeled as fiction,” Kaltenbach told ABCNews.com. “I just took the picture. I think really what has been revealed is a larger conversation over faith. There are people who are passionate about their faith in Christ and passionate against it.”

Costco said in a statement to ABCNews.com that a “small percentage of the Bibles” were mislabeled by the distributor.

“However, we take responsibility and should have caught the mistake,” the statement read. “We are correcting this with them for future distribution. In addition, we are immediately relabeling all mislabeled Bibles.”

The pastor said he doesn’t hold the mistake against the mega store, which is known for selling everything from diamond rings to jars of peanut butter the size of a human head.

“I love Costco,” he said. “I still plan to shop there a lot.”
abc

I like Costco as well. They have great deals on steak.

Anyway I am just saying it is kind of funny. I would have never thought something was wrong if I found a bible in the fiction section. Either someone thought it was supposed to be labeled as fiction or they were making a statement. What do you think ATS intentional or mistake?

Intentional on somebody's part no doubt. To claim that nobody noticed this mistake before the decision to put the Bible on the shelf in the fiction section is very likely a lie. Just be glad it didn't happen with the Quran, or there would be anti-Costco protests across the middle east and threats of holy jihad against Costco stores. Most anti-theists are in western society though, so it makes sense that they choose to attack the predominant religion in their society.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

This can't be challenged anymore. If retailers like Wally and Target choose to tag Bibles this way, complaints will only result in more negativity being tossed at the Christian faith. In the end, people can no longer opt not to shop at these stores because most independent retailers have long since fallen in the shadow of these big box stores. Locally, grocery stores are closing every year and smaller strip malls remain empty.

It's not right to treat your customers this way... to tag their lifelong beliefs in faith as 'fiction'. It is in large part because these people have shopped with you for the last two decades that you've become the sole supplier of so many things. But complaints no longer matter because there is no competition.

The concepts of that old game, Monopoly, come home in ways we could have never expected.

edit on 24-11-2013 by redoubt because: typo repair

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I've been known to move bibles (notice the lower case) to the fiction or mystery or 'hoax' section of libraries myself.

Just my passive-aggressive personality coming out.

I once lived in a town that was rife with some weird christian denomination families that insisted on having 10 kids a piece right out of high school. They practically owned the town. The public library there had more religious tomes in it than it did nonfiction, science based books, we're talking whole shelves o'crap.

Either embrace 'faith', AKA fantasy, or science, people. You really can't have it both ways.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Whew, luckily Costco corrected their mistake. It almost made me think that Jonah living in the great fish's stomach for three days wasn't true. How are Bible stories different than The Lord of the Rings trilogy? In fact I think the Hobbit's tales are more believable than the man-made stories in the Bible.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yup,

Costco to the rescue!

Aw crap...I can't even begin to write about this BS.

Sorry....Costco is more BS than I can write.

Peace

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Either embrace 'faith', AKA fantasy, or science, people. You really can't have it both ways.

It is good to know that after centuries of discovery... we have finally arrived at a day and time when we have all the answers. We now know that one cannot believe in deity and science at the same time. One must believe in one or the other.

We have all the answers... and a hundred years from now, they will look back upon us without the laughter we show when looking back a century before our own time

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Spirituality and wisdom go hand in hand.

Knowledge is empty without a mind to understand it and grow.

Why even ask...why are we here, where did we come from and are going.....that is a soul searching. It is not logical to look at the smallest form of life or the farthest ray of light when we do not benefit from it physically and in our world.

We do these things because our souls /spirit ask questions our minds can not answer.

The quest for knowledge is void if not to fulfill the yearnings of the restless spirit.....

Just saying. Some of our greatest minds were driven by the search for "Gods /gods" thoughts,
language and handwriting.....

If not we are just as good and can stop at food, warmth, and sex.......

edit on 11 24 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

“I never, ever in my entire life had seen a Bible labeled as fiction,”

LOL

Ok, I'm not making this up, I've posted it on here before, but my friend who worked in a book shop always took great delight when a customer asked where the bibles were, he'd say "Over there, with all the other fiction"

When his boss delivered a box of childrens bibles to the shop and asked him to put them on the shelves, he spent a week tearing them up and flushing them down the loo, he told me there was no way he was going to be involved with filling childrens heads with that!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Now imagine if it was the Quran.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Well, considering it is Costco.....I don't expect them to pay much attention to where they classify their books.

I have never seen the bible labeled as fiction but if you are looking to pick up the bible, you are probably not worried about where you find it.
edit on 24-11-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

…he spent a week tearing them up and flushing them down the loo, he told me there was no way he was going to be involved with filling children's heads with that!

LOL, good for him. Of course its fiction. But even fiction has good advice or we wouldn't read it either.
I agree with not filling kids minds with religion before they even comprehend. Thats a crime.

God forbid we should wait for children to ask us instead of force feeding them. The amount of minds that have been pre ruined under that guise would fill a world with hate and murder…

oh

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

The arrogance of such of a sentiment! We're far from having all the answers. At this point you could say we've only just scratched the surface of all there is to know. The finest accomplishment we've made so far in the journey towards a facts-based understanding of the universe is making the 'god of the gaps' concept into its own fallacy.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

EllaMarina
reply to post by redoubt

The arrogance of such of a sentiment! We're far from having all the answers. At this point you could say we've only just scratched the surface of all there is to know.

*sigh*

Can I assume you noted the text I was replying to?

Now then, please address that quote and then, try again on my reply.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Just saying that we just might come to a point when the universe and the mysteries alluded to by "faith" can be reconciled. The idea that you can't have it both ways would seem to be an arrogant one.
....It's a shame that whatever 'things beyond our understanding' maybe be alluded to had to be depicted in such a fictitious manner. Being couched in the mythology aspect makes it hard to take seriously.

edit on 24-11-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
They used to have bibles in the drawers of motel rooms that hookers used too. I remember when almost all the motels had bibles in them.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

EllaMarina
reply to post by redoubt

Just saying that we just might come to a point when the universe and the mysteries alluded to by "faith" can be reconciled. The idea that you can't have it both ways would seem to be an arrogant one.

It's just one person's opinion; my own but... I don't think that our science has come anywhere near being smart enough to dismiss any other concepts of our existence. We are still trying to figure out our own little world... have managed to send our kind a mere 250,000 miles to the moon and sent a few robots to Mars. beyond that?

There is a vast universe around us that we really, honestly, haven't even begun to know.

Thousands... maybe millions of years ago, our species may have fallen from the trees and through sheer luck, evolved into what we know today as our species. Of course, back when the Bible was written, we didn't have words/concepts like 'science' and 'ET' and 'DNA'...

... we are indeed arrogant when we assume our nursery-level science is mature enough to set aside any other set of beliefs.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

redoubt

This can't be challenged anymore. If retailers like Wally and Target choose to tag Bibles this way, complaints will only result in more negativity being tossed at the Christian faith. In the end, people can no longer opt not to shop at these stores because most independent retailers have long since fallen in the shadow of these big box stores. Locally, grocery stores are closing every year and smaller strip malls remain empty.

It's not right to treat your customers this way... to tag their lifelong beliefs in faith as 'fiction'. It is in large part because these people have shopped with you for the last two decades that you've become the sole supplier of so many things. But complaints no longer matter because there is no competition.

The concepts of that old game, Monopoly, come home in ways we could have never expected.

It's a war on people's beliefs. Many people are guilty for "Attacking" others beliefs in some way, shape, or form.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Providence1

It's a war on people's beliefs. Many people are guilty for "Attacking" others beliefs in some way, shape, or form.

A house divided unto itself cannot stand... which suits certain power-elites just fine.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join