It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Work From Home?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
So, most people are familiar with the idea of working from home, perhaps even make money or work from home themselves.

Do you? If so, where do you work?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Anybody??

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I telecommuted starting back in the mid 1980s as a medical transcriptionist, one of the first jobs you could actually do that way. Worked great when the kids were little, I could adapt to their schedules and illnesses, etc.

It's very isolating but good for an introvert; I just decided how much money I needed to make on a daily basis, sat down and cranked that out, and was done for the day. Decent money back then but now it's been taken over by voice recognition and a lot of the national transcription companies are corrupt. One of the ones I worked for, the principles were indicted and got jail time for billing the hospitals more than the work we did, and shaving some off what they were paying us, on top of that. It was a huge scandal at the time, but the class action lawsuit we won only paid out about $50 after the lawyers took the rest. :-(

My final job was with Kaiser in-house and they were very good to work for; I had a bit of a commute but met a lot of nice people and was treated fairly by the company; it was a union shop and once they brought in VR, they paid us quite nicely to 'go away quietly', so now I'm kinda retired and just waiting on social security to kick in.

If I had it to do over again, I'd set up an aquaponics venture in my backyard, sell high end organic produce to local restaurants and only work a few hours a week. I may just do that now except I live in an area that's pretty rural and remote. I would encourage ANYone who needs a job or income stream to look into it.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIceQueen

Screen writer, Artisan and never had a job where I had to call someone Boss.
Blessed to be able to live in the high desert Rockies where my studio is located but
spend a fair amount of time during the winter in the Keys.

edit on 24-11-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I work out of my home. What do want to know about it?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I work for a virtual assisting company and freelance on Odesk

ANYBODY ELSE? come on I know there have to be more people!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

self taught computer/laptop repair &Pirate Installer
hoping to capitalize this xmas season on the Win 8 hate.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Metaphysique

self taught computer/laptop repair &Pirate Installer
hoping to capitalize this xmas season on the Win 8 hate.

LOL! That's funny. You should do pretty good this Christmas.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

lol,
hoping for a very green xmas for a change,
as from december to late january, most folks are inclined to just get a new computer than fix 'em.

sooo....
what do you think the OP want's to know?

hopefully nothing to do with ludicrous laws, ridiculous regulations or pesky permits
as such are not a part of an Invisibilist's life.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

I have to say "Kinda".

My mother is my boss, and our store is just down a flight of outdoor stairs from our flat (apartment, whatever). Also, as a locksmith, our business has a twenty four hour a day aspect to it, so we often take jobs while sat in our living room, or eating dinner for instance. Every now and again, I get roused from my bed to take a local job also, although given that my bedtime varies between just before eleven, to well after three in the morning, that is rarer than it used to be.

When we did a lot of work in London, I would frequently be out of bed, in my colleagues car, and on the way to the West End, inside of five minutes. If you mean, however, do I sit there and work in my home, well no, not unless you count the household chores that everyone has to partake of.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I work from home - sometimes the cat is in the stairwell and makes for a difficult commute.
I miss the camaraderie tho - but now to spoiled to consider commuting to a mortar and brick - ooh wait my home is mortar and brick - dangit

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

More or less self taught 3D modeler / texturer, little bit of animating.

It has been my sole income for the past 8 or so years, and I work for whoever needs my particular skillset anyplace in the world.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Do you? If so, where do you work?

From home!

Seriously however. I worked from home for many years and always had a dedicated office - in fact still do - and never bring the work into the home side of the house.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

That's a very good rule (which I am breaking at this very moment).

I work from home. Most writers do.

top topics

join