It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity at risk of dying out in a generation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
As much as I am concerned for the UK becoming an intolerable secular state, I am not at all worried about Christianity dying out as the Bible say's there will always be a remnant of believers until the very end when Christ returns to collect his church.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

As I said, Aaron, way back when… you need to really think about this whole thing.

For you, it might be a joke or something that you dismiss, but for her, it is important. If you really love her, you need to address this conflict.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

adjensen
reply to post by Akragon

As I said, Aaron, way back when… you need to really think about this whole thing.

For you, it might be a joke or something that you dismiss, but for her, it is important. If you really love her, you need to address this conflict.

I understand my friend believe me... things have changed dramatically since I posted that thread

Back when we started talking it was all about the bible... but now we do not talk about it at all...

it actually hurts her to talk about it because she has no answers to the things I say... which I can not deal with at all... the last thing I want to do is hurt her in any way!

in a recent "debate" the whole thing brought both of us to tears... and I will not rehatch that situation again...

I don't think of it as a joke by the way... I take her beliefs very seriously, though I can't help but question them for their lack of logic... and she is not so unwilling to break her rules as I once suspected

From this point on I intend on dealing with her minister... Should be fun...

edit on 26-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Just a few comments on the situation in the churches today.

One should be aware that even though churches still exist and the people that are working there still call themselves priests, it’s not about Christianity anymore. The priests that are there now are political leftwing globalist priests that basically has hijacked Christianity and the churches.

Instead of teaching Christianity they are using the churches to teach humanism, environmental politics and the blessing with limitless immigration and multiculturalism, as well as all kind of other political correct ideology.
They don’t even hesitate to attack the Jews and give their support to the religion of piece.

The old school priests has pretty much been forced to give up and silenced long time ago, and the few that are left are constantly attacked by the global leftwing mainstream establishment as rightwing mad extremists.

edit on 26-11-2013 by helius because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2013 by helius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Oh, it would be so awesome to watch Christianity disappear from this earth forever. All the other ones can take a hike as well. This might be worth living for if it truly could happen in "the next generation".
Sure would love to see it happen. I'll just laugh and laugh and laugh.
I have my doubts it will happen that soon though. I know it's inevitable. People seeking information and knowledge will sooner or later come to the realization that there is no magical authority and that we are all biological creatures with no "special" divine destiny among us. I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a greater falling out of religion at this time. It doesn't take much research and serious thought to see things how they are. Yet, people cling to their beliefs even though they can see how ridiculous it seems for other opposing religions to do the same.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It's a possibility for Catholics. It's hard to say. One could just as easily say public schools will be a thing of the past as well. And many other activities. The reason isn't because the faith is dying. But rather the way in which a person practices the faith. So no Christianity isn't gonna die. But I think because of the advancment of technology we get a lot of the info we need pipped into our living rooms and computers and smartphones. Thats the same with lots of stuff. But it doesn't mean the "stuff" is going away. People are alway gonna try and figure out where the universe originated and what's out there. If you don't your a small thinking, sheep.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

boncho
I'm not really worried about christianity dying out (good riddance), although I find it unlikely, but I am more worried about people turning to Islam or offshoot, quasi religions like scientology simply because it's new, and the preaching from those highlight everything that's wrong with christianity but conveniently omit their own problems. Basically replacing one problem with another.
edit on 24-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Good riddance? why is when a thread starts about Christianity i see nothing but hate.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

This is not surprising when Christians themselves are bored of their own Bibles and didn't bother to read them with passion.

It's no wonder we see no wonders from then anymore.

A few passionate hardcore followers will always remain.... ...It only takes one true Christian to lift a mountain off its foundations and toss them to the sea. While a billion Christians who only love what makes them feel good can't even lift a finger with their faith. Let the fake ones walk away from the religion, who cares really.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

From this point on I intend on dealing with her minister... Should be fun…

Well, yes, it actually may be. At the very least, it will be a learning experience, optimistically, for both of you. In my experience, it is very difficult to change another's point of view, if they are well entrenched, but a guy at my church engages Mormon missionaries who come to his door (as opposed to me, who gives them the boot as soon as I see the bikes and the ties, lol,) and he has actually converted four of them to Roman Catholicism over the years.

So, there is hope that the two of you will, at the least, come to a point where your views and hers are tempered to the point that it is no longer a point of contention.

My only advice is that, if this is really a Reformed Theology church, you take the time to educate yourself in that way of thinking (start with The Five Points of Calvinism, or TULIP,) because it represents a radically different view of Christian salvation than most people are familiar with.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Akragon
reply to post by Frith

Its been around for 2,000 years so far. I don't know how the Abrahamic religions have kept their staying power this long,

Since the Invention of the Internet Anyone is free to read the bible without the church looking over their shoulder directing what they should believe... The church lost its power once anyone could read their book and make their own decisions on what "the bible" says, and IF its actually "Gods book" or not...

That's true and describes many that debate against your points here. You really don't care that people study the book on their own, only that they come to the same conclusions that you draw. If they don't you still accuse them of being brainwashed church hardliners. In over 20 years I haven't been in a church building but 2 times to hear a service and still hold that your a buzzard hovering over what remains of the rotting flesh on the battlefield.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Can you ever post a reply to me that's not an attack?

geez

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

my Methodist minister used to joke that you'd never hear a Methodist sermon on anything in Revelation of John.

Heh. Are you sure he didn't say 'anything but the Revelation of John?

I'm sure you're familiar with this... if not, note what is written on the books in the lower right-hand corner.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I'm sure you're familiar with this... if not, note what is written on the books in the lower right-hand corner.

Nope, the Methodist church is a much different place today. Most of the sermons are harmless platitudes, intended to offend no one. I don't even remember a reading from Revelation, much less a sermon based on it. Since I converted to Roman Catholicism, it's been actually kind of weird to have it come up in the second reading, and on one occasion, the priest used it as the main point of his homily.

My personal favourite nasty-gram from the old days is still Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. It probably means nothing to a generation raised on Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, but back in the day it scared the crap out of people.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

"Maybe a religion based on Bacon. But religion is becoming kind of a loaded or "dirty" word lately. Maybe we should just call it a cult.

Bacon apart from his scientific acheivements was an adherent of Church Of England. Christianity was initially considered a cult, before institutionalisation by the Roman Empire

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

That's part of what the "NEW" in NEW WORLD ORDER is about . . . only it's about as NEW as the ancient satan worshiping cults of Babylon, Iran, Saudi Arabia etc.

satan worshiping cults? Iran sprouted zoroasticism, which bled ideas into christianity, saudi arabia predominatly islam: you share same creator and Abrahamic roots. Study much outside you're rose blinkered Xrissy glasses? Satan by the way is a christian concept to to absolve christians from personal responsibilty.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Fear not,

All is going according to plan of the Sovereign Master of all,

Why is the British clergy shaken in their faith? Are they that insecure? Do they not think the Providential Sovereign King has things under control?

Do they think Richard Dawkins is stronger than the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the All that is in all and contains All?

Again, I say unto you all, fear not, for these things must needs come to pass, as it is all written;

from St. Pauls second Epistle to the Thessalonians:

The Great Apostasy

2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

5 Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? 6 And now you know what is restraining, that he may be revealed in his own time. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

And the Lord Jesus Christ in his discourse given in the Gospel according to St. Matthew the Apostle:

The Signs of the Times and the End of the Age

3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”

4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

God bless

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

wingsfan
I much rather see Judaism go first. It's the little instigator that makes the other religions fight each and look bad historically, all while brainwashing the masses to think them a bunch of perfect angels. Judaism is the number one deterrent for peace and progress in the world.

Well, the old testament is metaphor, and the real meanings relate to perfecting self, Guided by a loving non smiting God and achieving Higher Mind.

Christ, is in body, the entire metaphor of the old testament meaning. So real or metaphoric, he is one of the most perfect Faces of God, all others are flawed and warring, even Ra, retaliated in the writings, smote a village that denied him.

The inner meanings of the Old Testament = the outer walk of Christ, and the inner and outer walk of Christ allign though there are some differences, they're not important.

Chrisitianity is not going down, it could stand to be blended with some of the truth and quantum physics, and metaphysics, but that's a personal choice.

But truth cannot stay hidden, and the Christ will be formed in all in the end, one lifetime or another.

All we're responsible for, is taking our thread out of the tapestry of hate and war, not worrying about our neighbor's thread even if our neighbor delights in engaging in us. We are to grow peace and not engage, those who live by the sword die by the sword is the same thing in different words. We are responsible for our own thread. That alone would make a huge difference, if more did that, however then a person can choose to help, but not engage in the war/hate tapestry.

edit on 26-11-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The log in our eye prevents us from seeing.

We came in with a tender heart and the world hardens it by design.

When we read from the old testament, most accept this literal fairy tale and it makes God a so called righteous murderer and thus the world reflects war, hate, harsh laws and murder, because people have had their love layed seige to.

What they are always meant to do when they read scripture is say, wait, that is not loving, ouch, they feel the hate, and instead of rationalizing its God so Ok, they're meant to say, WAIT, God is Love, always and never smites, always bears with us till we perfect, so what is this passage saying. What would it say if it was a metaphor?

Some of the problems though are that in some cases the meaning is not fully realized without the actual roots of the words in the common meaning of the time those documents were written, and more so, with the vast knowledge of history and world that the more learned scholars, and gnostics possessed when they wrote them. So not all of the meanings are easy to find, but most are.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

oh England...

Mother of Ships whose might,
England, my England, Is the fierce old Sea's delight,
England, my own, Chosen daughter of the Lord,
Spouse-in-Chief of the ancient Sword,
There 's the menace of the Word
In the Song on your bugles blown,
England - Out of heaven on your bugles blown!

~William Ernest Henley
edit on th352113p04u21R35 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Seems easy enough. The real problem is that some % of the population are always going to be sheep and we are generally a very territorial and aggressive species. The sad reality is that whether it be religion, an economic philosophy, skin color, musical tastes or sexual preference there will always be people willing to line up behind charismatic people and back ANY type of idea with violence and prejudice.

I imagine that Christianity, Islam and the rest of the current religions will either disappear or morph into something else over the next 500 years. Religions as they stand today count too much on ignorance, as we become more well informed we reject their non-sensical claims.

People don't need a reason to fight and be stupid, we'll find a reason...if religion goes away we'll fight over which is better Caramel or Chocolate, it's in our nature.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join