It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old picture of Japanese Samurai

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Searched for it and did not see this in other threads...

I saw this photo come across my Twitter feed the other day and it really made my mind wander and think about the past.. It shows 5 samurai with weapons in a small room. I wonder exactly what those blades have done and what their eyes have seen. It really is an amazing shot to me because in a world where we are used to seeing footage from combat being show like a Hollywood blockbuster and the average AR15 user has more firepower then all 5 of these men combined your mind can extrapolate how different combat must have been to them.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Great find!

Yes, just look at their faces their stillness and yet so much can be seen. Samurai warriors fought with conviction, honor, and discipline. Nothing like the drone remote controlled fighting we have now. Or the hiding behind the scope of a weapon. Cowards are all we have left now.

Again what a great picture, something worthy to look at and wonder about for awhile.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

You could buy an army for the price of one of those swords today. Don't forget the bow. Samurai were well trained in horsemanship and the art of the bow.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Sometimes the idea of being a samurai (or even a ninja) in another lifetime really pleases me. Their rules of combat were so different from us and highly more exciting.

You needed pure skills to win a fight.
Nothing compared to the malicious, insidious and boring way of fighting of the 21 century.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Yes, you can see the pain of what they have done or been witness to in their eyes.

They were extreme warriors who used the sword with utterly lethal consequences, but the older Samurais look more solemn, wearied by bloodshed and violence.

I love these photos, thanks for sharing.

+23 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Samurai warriors fought with conviction, honor, and discipline.

Phooey. They have the look of arrogance like any other elite. They murdered whomever the warlords told them too. You could lose your head for meeting their stare or not bowing low enough at their passing.

Zip.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Combat is combat.. Only those that have been in it truly understand the details of having someone or multiple someones only caring about 1 thing and that is killing you.

It doesn't matter if it is the modern soldier or one of the men in this photo. They have done things they ultimately wish they didn't have to do.

As you move through photos like this you can see in their faces that warriors from any era are all connected.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

brandiwine14
Great find!

Yes, just look at their faces their stillness and yet so much can be seen. Samurai warriors fought with conviction, honor, and discipline. Nothing like the drone remote controlled fighting we have now. Or the hiding behind the scope of a weapon. Cowards are all we have left now.

Again what a great picture, something worthy to look at and wonder about for awhile.

samurai honor wasn't such a grand thing as you seem to think it is and they had no problem killing innocent people if they didn't bow their head properly, if they got in the way of their lords precession, if they spoke wrong or didn't satisfy them or their lord with their action and i could keep going but won't.
the honor, conviction and discipline they had only was reserved for their master/lord, the battlefield and those of proper status(for the most part), but for other people below them they had no problem killing as a drone would, without thought to question why, with no remorse or hesitation, just obedience and submission to their master/controller.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

St0rD
Sometimes the idea of being a samurai (or even a ninja) in another lifetime really pleases me. Their rules of combat were so different from us and highly more exciting.

You mean like working for the local mob boss, clan, and forcing extortion payments from businessmen?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

# yeah, I couldn't ask for a better life.

I just need to train a little more with Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden and I'm ready to go.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I wonder exactly what those blades have done and what their eyes have seen. It really is an amazing shot to me because in a world where we are used to seeing footage from combat being show like a Hollywood blockbuster and the average AR15 user has more firepower then all 5 of these men combined your mind can extrapolate how different combat must have been to them.

Given that this photograph must have been taken during the Meiji Restoration, it would probably not have been unlike the US Civil War, but more intimate. As for your ill founded faith in an AR 15, I would not recommend trying to use one in that room. Your arm would be severed and your head removed before you could bring it to bear on a target! Seriously.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Both of these are dated between 1860 and 1880

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by brandiwine14

Samurai warriors fought with conviction, honor, and discipline.

Phooey. They have the look of arrogance like any other elite. They murdered whomever the warlords told them too. You could lose your head for meeting their stare or not bowing low enough at their passing.

Zip.

I'm with you right here. The one all the way on the right looks like a boisterous, superior jerk.

Samurai were skilled and deadly, and operated by their own code, but their very status of warriors resulted in a giant, inflated ego. Also they were borderline gangsters in a way. Working for local warlords in intimidation and extortion. Killing whoever they were told to kill. Extracting daily contributions from people who probably was barely able to contribute with having nothing left for themselves.

A lowly peasant showing even a slight inkling of disrespect or irreverence, even if unintentional, could mean a mean, cruel scolding to remind how lowly and dirty you are, or a quickly confiscated head.

edit on 24-11-2013 by bigman88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Woaaaa, That is some badass long bows they have right there.

You know you are a man in the samurai world when the bow you hold is bigger than yourself.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by opethPA

You could buy an army for the price of one of those swords today. Don't forget the bow. Samurai were well trained in horsemanship and the art of the bow.

I just posted above with some bows, they look menacing.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

St0rD

VoidHawk

You know you are a man in the samurai world when the bow you hold is bigger than yourself.

Look at what the guy on the right has on his feet.

Ok I meant on the left

edit on 24-11-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Were they known for doing strange things to their feet? Look at this.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

St0rD

VoidHawk

i hold have 1st dan in that archery. Kyudo
i was privileged enough to study in japan. my own longbow is 2.4 mtrs tall
the entire method of kyudo is entirely foreign to me who started with western archery.

the bow is raised above the head before firing, in fact here is a video of me at a competition!

ganbatte

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

VoidHawk
Were they known for doing strange things to their feet? Look at this.

thats just "geta" an outdoor kind of flipflop or thongs.
worn witha split toed "tabi" or sock.

when a leather "outdoor tabi" or jikatabi is used its normally for workman and "ninjas" lol

mostly workmen

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Cool, interesting vid mate. Didn't know these long bows had to be held like that...

... and THAT serious look on your face, send a clear message to anyone trying to piss you off

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join