It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to Do if You Get Invited to a Chickenpox Party

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

A few weeks ago, I stumbled across the Facebook group “Chicken Pox Parties—New York Metro Area.” It has 143 members, all of whom, I’m guessing, are parents who have chosen not to vaccinate their kids against chickenpox and instead hope to build their kids’ immunity the old-fashioned way, by directly exposing them to the germs of a pox-infected child. They are not alone: Facebook has 14 other chickenpox party groups organized by geographical region, and if you can’t get to one in person, you can always ask to be sent a lollipop with an infected child’s spit on it.

Perhaps these parents go this route because they’re distrustful of the vaccine or they think that inoculating against chickenpox is dumb. For those of us who endured chickenpox as kids and emerged relatively unscathed, the varicella vaccine, as it’s called, does at first seem kind of dumb—another unnecessary medical intervention being thrust upon us and another box to check off on the never-ending paperwork that is raising a child. So should we say no to our pediatricians and bring a pox on all our houses instead?

After evaluating the medical evidence, my answer is an emphatic no. The shot is by far the better way to go. That’s because although we might recall chickenpox as a small but annoying blip on our childhood radar it can be dangerous. True, before the vaccine was licensed in 1995, only about 100 to 150 American kids died of chickenpox every year, and most of these children had underlying immune system issues. But every year, chickenpox landed about 11,000 kids in the hospital. It’s not that they couldn’t handle all the itching; one study from Europe (where many countries do not vaccinate against chickenpox) has found that one-fifth of all otherwise healthy kids who are hospitalized for chickenpox suffer neurological problems such as strokes, meningitis, convulsions, and encephalitis. Chickenpox can also cause septic shock, pneumonia, necrotizing fasciitis (that’s flesh-eating bacteria), and other bacterial infections.

continue to source article at slate.com

I know there are a lot of antivax people on this site but I just can’t imagine anyone purposely infecting their kid like they are. I am so glad my parents were not loons who purposely got me sick as a child. I got the Jab like so many others and never had a problem. Because they were smart the risk of me ever getting shingles later in life is next to zero. I remember seeing an older fellow with Shingles once and it looked especially painful.

There’s also evidence to suggest that the vaccine staves off shingles. Chickenpox is a herpes virus, which, like the kind that affects your lips and nether regions, sits latent inside your cells after an initial infection until something causes it to flare up again. Seniors are at a high risk for suffering these chickenpox-related flare-ups, called shingles, which can cause terrible, long-lasting pain. (About half of all 85-year-olds have had it.) Kids and adolescents can get shingles too, though it’s rare. And a 14-year-long study found that kids vaccinated against varicella were 39 percent less likely to get shingles as youth than were unvaccinated kids who had naturally caught the infection

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

The reason why you want to purposely get your child sick with the chicken pox virus is because it gets extremely lethal if you get it for the first time later in life (as an adult) so the sooner you can get it out of your way, the better... I know of parents who will have their newborn interact with peanut butter and dirt or shell fish... The quicker it gets done, the better in most cases.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

What to do:

- Keep my child at home. Chickenpox can be fatal. I rather not take the chance. Imagine if you brought your child to one of these parties and he/she just happened to be one of the few who actually die from it. How would you feel as a parent then? There is always that chance. Who would be so full of themselves to think that their child would not be the lucky one...

Source

Most children with chickenpox completely recover. But, it can be severe for babies, adolescents, adults, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems.

Although it's rarely fatal, why would you even want to give your child a virus?

Not targeting you OP, just the idea of doing this to children in general. I caught it when I was young but not by a party. I just simply caught it and the neighbor had their child come over so they could catch it. This is a stupid idea in my opinion.

Added:

jhn7537 - It is NOT extemely lethal if you get it later on in life. You can have complications in addition but it's fatality rates are NOT anything close.

edit on 24-11-2013 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

Errrr…. I am not sure how I was misconstrued but I am against infecting kids with viruses. I am PRO Vaccination.

Can you please tell me why you think I condone infecting children so I can change the OP to reflect.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This happened to me, unwittingly, when my children were very young. My in-laws called and said everyone was coming over, so stop by. I was standing in the kitchen, having been milling about for about 30 minutes, when I looked down on the floor, and there, playing in the toy cabinet in the kitchen was the little perpetrator. All covered with his splotches, seemingly hiding from view, he even bowed his little 3 year old head in shame as I shrieked, "He has chicken pox!"

Stunned as to why they would DO this without giving us a CHOICE, I became more and more upset. Who gave you the right to just decide to infect what, at the time was 7 OTHER grandchildren, all under the age of 5?!

I was beside myself with anger, and everyone thought I was overreacting.

"Overreacting?!", I yelled. "If I am overreacting, then why didn't you TELL me and let me make the choice myself?! Who gave you the right to make this medical decision about my childrens' lives FOR me?"

Of course, I was blown off as being ridiculous, hysterical, and all sorts of other things. But, I also knew my children had not yey been vaccinated for meningitis, and that yes, other unfortunate illnesses and complications come with chicken pox, it is more than just a "childhood illness".

My outrage about this still stands, and this was over 25 years ago. How dare anyone make this choice for me. And parents making this choice best well make it fully informed. Shingles is no joyride, as I have already experienced it and multiple other herpes-related issues almost all my life, related to chicken pox related virus exposure.

I would have given ANYTHING to have been vaccinated against this vile disease, and had the opportunity to vaccinate my children. That CHOICE was removed from me against my will.

I would urge anyone with the opportunity to make this choice to PLEASE choose wisely. Herpes related disorders from exposure to the chicken pox virus is NOT an "old peoples'" problem, and CAN affect you when you are young. The literature is very limited in this information, but take it from one who knows.

It is painful, miserable, and makes you generally ill all over, with horrible headaches. You can even get herpes encephalitis in the brain. I have seen people in my hospital unit die from it, and it is not "rare".

This vaccination fear is out of control, and people need to stop and consider the risks and longterm disadvantages they are placing upon their children.

This obviously has nothing to do with people that are exposed in public. There is nothing you can do about that. This is for people that would make the mental choice to expose a child to a seemingly mild disease, while being uneducated and underinforned about the seriousness of that decision.

edit on 24-11-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Bring calomine lotion instead of a nice wine.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Grimpachi

Errrr…. I am not sure how I was misconstrued but I am against infecting kids with viruses. I am PRO Vaccination.

Can you please tell me why you think I condone infecting children so I can change the OP to reflect.

I dont, lol. I said "you" a lot in my response. I just didn't want "you" to think I was pointing the finger at you.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

This is what they used to do with kids before there was a vaccine. My mom did it to me, then had an exorcism performed on me when I failed to contract it.LOL No I'm kidding, they didn't perform an exorcism on me...problem is your immunity can be a powerhouse like mine when you're a kid and not get it later I got shingles when my kids got the vaccine (It's the only way I could have gotten shingles). And I am not supposed to have gotten that even because I never had chickenpox. The only way this could have happened is my immune system with age (as well as most people's immune systems) was weaker at that age but still not as weak as others are. If that makes sense. Or I had it and my body fought it without presenting any symptoms, which means I just became a carrier if that's possible I don't even know.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

oh boy, yet another acolyte of corporate whoredom scientism calling for a witch-hunt
against those refusing to use their products

I suppose you're against breastfeeding [ a mothers tit being the best vaccine and free to boot!]
and are pro formula as well, sucking on plastic nipples too

I've no doubt you find the natural world "icky"
[those disgusting bodyfluids...]
and would much prefer to live on a planet fully covered with concrete and metal
and with "people" made out of metal and plastic too.

why do you wanna be robots even bother?
since when you're debunked [or even when not] you always go the force and fraud route like it's second nature ...
oops meant to say it's hard coded into you ...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

you should add that to your "little mind benders" list

either that or you're pro vaccine and don't know anything about it.
and that's not to mention mercury, formaldehyde, GM matter, sterilants, and other poisonous "goodies"

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I always thought it was most contagious just before the spots come on.
My son went to a series of birthday parties when he was 4, and a week later all the kids and adults that had not had chickenpox as children, now had chickenpox.
Except my son.

Our doctor just said that he had a very strong immune system, and would get it when we least expected it. He got it when he was 7 - there were no children around that we knew of that also had it.
His was mild, thankfully.

They didn't vaccinate for chickenpox back then.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Is it not the case vaccines are made with dead, shed virus? There is no way you could become infected from a vaccine given to someone else.

You had to have been infected with some form at some point in life, if not chicken pox, then a cold sore, even if small and unnoticed.

The virus then stores itself in the nerves along the spinal cord, hence how shingles affects a single nerve pathway. It can also migrate, and rarely, become systemic, crossing the blood/brain barrier, and affecting the brain.

Realize it or not, you were exposed, infected, at some point, and not from a vaccine, whiich has dead virus. A vaccine using live virus would be akin to a party. What's the point? The live virus would implant on a nerve, and you have the same results. With dead vurus in a vaccine, you build antibodies, and hence, no infection.

edit on 24-11-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

beezzer

Bring calomine lotion instead of a nice wine.

lol, don't forget the cheese.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This subject bothers me. You can't stop the spread of a virus by a reckless breaking of quarantine.
Thanks to having it when I was a kid, I'm at risk for shingles. Vaccine all the way.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'm nearly 60, and I had my natural immunity given to me by the girl who lived across the road. Whenever she went down with one of the illnesses I was put to bed with her, I got the illness, and have never needed to have nasty vaccines in my life!
Back in those days the advice from the medics was GET IT WHILE YOUR YOUNG = NO HARM DONE.

All the horror stories we hear about now days are posted by those with vested interests in the multy billion dollar vaccine scam.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

VoidHawk
I'm nearly 60, and I had my natural immunity given to me by the girl who lived across the road. Whenever she went down with one of the illnesses I was put to bed with her, I got the illness, and have never needed to have nasty vaccines in my life!
Back in those days the advice from the medics was GET IT WHILE YOUR YOUNG = NO HARM DONE.

All the horror stories we hear about now days are posted by those with vested interests in the multy billion dollar vaccine scam.

For someone who had chicken pox when young, pertussis (mom went all out on vaccines after the latter), and with two grandparents suffering shingles I would have gladly opted for the vaccine.

And for the time I had to get a immunoglobulin shot, to fight off a potentially nasty threat, I am going to say Im pretty happy with vaccines and the like. Since not having them caused me a scarred face, near death, and having them so far has added years to my life.
edit on 24-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
When you really think about it, this is like having parties to infect your kids with genital herpes and cold sores claiming, "Hey, they are gonna get it anyway so if its early enough they won't barely notice the sores later in life!"

Of course, not every gets cold sores and genital herpes. Harder to spread, thank god. Otherwise that party is all sorts of wrong.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I was lucky enough to get chicken pox at 14, felt like death for over a week, so i'd definitely choose to get it young...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Chicken pox party all sounds great....until, your little darling goes down with shingles, five years after the initial chicken pox infection!

This is the fate which befell my youngest, althought she didn't contract it from a chix party, she got it through sibling love, when she was six months old, poor baby was riddled with the stuff.

I thought she wouldn't get shingles til she was old, if ever, sadly this time last year the shingles came out in her.

So no I wouldn't recomend chicken pox parties, why go out of your way to make your kid sick, let nature take its course and decide when.

Not that nature did much for us, but imagine if you did go out of your way to give your kid chicken pox and a couple of years later they got shingles?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

OK cool. I read your reply and I thought that I had given the impression that I was in favor of giving children chickenpox instead of a safe vaccine. There is no way no how I would do that to a child I think people who do that have a screw loose. If someone doesn’t get the flu shot because they think they are bad for you I don’t really say much I personally haven’t got one this year myself that I know of. I did have a major surgery this year so they may have given me one at the hospital that I am not aware of. Probably next time I go to the VA I will get one but it isn’t a make or break with me. When it comes to other vax though I make sure to get them. I travel to other countries on a regular basis so keeping immunized is a must. I recently read they have had some success with a malaria vaccine which I hope gets developed and becomes available soon.
edit on 24-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join