It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about the story of Adam and Eve. (let's assume it's true ..)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Thanks for the reply - and I enjoyed your post - though I disagree.

I agree wholeheartedly that "we are going to have to accept that there are things about God that are very hard to take". That's absolutely true. God commanded, for example, the obliteration of entire tribes and races during the Hebrew conquest of Caanan. That's a difficult thing to accept, for many.

HOWEVER...

I believe that this, and other instances like it, are all events that have logical, purposeful, good explanations. In the instance of Caanan, for example, the Genesis 6:4 event explains a great deal. God called for the destruction of the inhabitants of Caanan because they were interbreeding with fallen angels, and so on (not to mention the fact that he gave them 400 years to repent).

My point, then, is this.
I am in no way suggesting that God doesn't judge. The Bible says "our God is a consuming fire", and for good reason. But what I am suggesting is that God is a RIGHTEOUS judge, and is therefore good. Likewise, God, in numerous occasions in Scripture, gets angry. But God's anger is not like our own anger. Scripture says "in your anger, do not sin". This is odd, isn't it. Many people think anger IS sin - but it isn't. It certainly leads that way for each of us though, doesn't it! So there again, God may be angry, but He is righteous in doing so, and therefore good.

Now, with that said, there are some things that the Bible just doesn't tell us. It doesn't elaborate much on why God sent an evil spirit to Saul, for example, or on why Ananias and Sapphira deserved instant death for lying, when the rest of us aren't held accountable in that same way. What the BIble does say, though, is that God is righteous, just, consistent, and GOOD. ...so whatever His ways, whatever His purposes, they're good.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that because God judges (e.g. with an earthquake against Israel, or by sending snakes among the camp, as you quote) that He is therefore not good. In each of those instances, using your examples, God did these things in judgement, because Israel had sinned; not against each other, but against HIM.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Awen

I have been offline for a few days but I am back now.
I do believe God is a righteous judge, and that's the point people don't understand because they don't want to acknowledge there would even be a reason for God to judge. That doesn't make Him bad, but how do you explain to people that righteous judgment exists because of abject wickedness?

People are thinking the Bible says God judges for every little sin, and that is what most churches teach. And the Bible says "If the righteous scarcely make it in, then where does that leave the wicked?" It's to the extent of judgment people have problems with, but how do you preach the Bible without that?

Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God was a well-know sermon from the Puritans, but it demanded fire-and-brimstone onto the heads of anyone who walked differently and talked differently, so where is the middle-ground when it comes to teaching about God being a righteous judge? No one accepts when they are faced with the recognition of their own sin, much of which is justified or passed off as not that bad.

And that's why they perceive God as bad, because His righteousness is so holy, there is no choice except to deal with unholiness. That's the difficult message, how much does God allow before there can be an end of it?

What was once sin is no longer sin, because people don't want to think they could possibly ever be sinful or wicked, but in the face of a God that is so holy, how can we even stand?

I have a relative whose teen-age daughter just had a baby, the relative is only 37 and had her first one at 14, she doesn't want people to say anything to her daughter, but the girl isn't even out of high school yet. While that used to be called sin, is now just a lifestyle, and the girl is never going to do anything in the world yet, because she is now stuck. And that's something we have worked so hard on in this society, but culture says that she isn't the first teen mother and she won't be the last, but we want girls to achieve at life before bringing another one into it. What can you do?

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

arpgme
1) How is it possible for death not to exist? If Adam and Eve didn't eat the fruit and death didn't exist how can all those humans be on the planet? There Is already overpopulation imagine if no human ever died since the beginning of time.

2) How can Adam and Eve understand God if God is 100% goodness but they have no concept of good and evil until after they've eaten the fruit?

3) If Satan only lies and is complete darkness, how did he tell Adam and Eve the truth about their eyes being opened?

3) How did Adam and Eve have free-will to be evil (disobey) If they didn't even understand the concept?

Question 1)
The earth has the ability to hold billions if spaced out and manged correctly, also there was much more land mass above water before the flood of Noah's day. God has options once the earth reaches it's max population, shut down a biological reaction from relations. Or prepare another M class planet for us to live on and continue to expand into the galaxy.

Question 2)
He knew the reaction sin would have on a perfect physical being, mentally, emotionally, spiritually.

Question 3) Since evil only existed in concept form, as it never existed in the universe until the angel that became Satan used the snake to lie to Eve, at that moment the concept was turned into reality.
It's like the concept of death to a young child, usually until they see a dead animal they don't know what it really is. But there parents most likely have told them about death before that.
edit on 4-12-2013 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
will respond later
edit on 5-12-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join