It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virgin Galactic to accept Bitcoin for space flights

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

The virtual currency Bitcoin can be used to purchase pizza and to make apartment rentals – and now it can be used to buy tickets to space. Virgin Galactic, the space-flight branch of Richard Branson’s empire, announced on Friday that it will accept payments made by Bitcoin.

“All of our future astronauts are pioneers in their own right, and this is one more way to be forward-thinking,” Branson said, in a blogpost for the company. He said a female flight attendant from Hawaii purchased a Virgin Galactic ticket using bitcoin on Friday.

Its been an a amazing year for bit coin and every day it looks like its getting better and better. The current price is about 12 times what it was at the start of April this year. The was much talk that Bitcoin would crash after the fall of the online drug site Silkroad but in reality the exact oposit happened and the price skyrocketed.

This site lists 1500 places that accept bitcoin

Bitcoin’s value benefited in recent weeks from growing support from investors, including China, who believe the decentralized currency could hold long-term promise as an alternative form of payment.

“I have invested in some bitcoins myself and find it fascinating how a whole new global currency has been created,” Branson said. “For people who can afford to invest a little in bitcoins, it’s worth looking into.”

Ive heard lots of people on ATS say Bitcoins are not worth anything, this clearly is not the case when you can buy so many things with them. Its never going to replace normal fiat currency just as credit cards have not fully replaced paper cash. But with more and more important people like Richard Branson backing the use of the virtual currency its only a matter of time before Bitcoin is fully accepted as part of the existing financial market.

edit on 24-11-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I bought in

I've been watching bitstamp on blockchain.info for days and it's taking a nose dive now. I'm not worried, I would like it to fall more so I can buy another one...or two. For some odd reason I think BTC is going to take the world by storm, and this is only the beginning.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
When bitcoin first was introduced, I mined them and have 5032 now, how much is that worth, can I go to space with 5000 bit coins? I have not checked the price in a year or two.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I know what you mean, i have a lot of faith in the currency but i wish it would take a short dive so i can buy more lol.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

ManOfHart
When bitcoin first was introduced, I mined them and have 5032 now, how much is that worth, can I go to space with 5000 bit coins? I have not checked the price in a year or two.

They are worth about $836 each right now. If you really do have that many you are rich

Its only $250000 to go to space so at $4180000 you can take the whole family., if there is any spare id be up for the ride

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

crashing hard now. If it goes to 200 I'm buying in again. China is just getting up in the morning so this can all turn around.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Its fluctuating between $750 and $850 today.

It wouldnt surprise me if it hits $900-950 next weekend.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Here's an interesting Keiser report

Once BTC get asset class, then that's when the numbers go way up. Waaaay up!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Something huge is going on with these things.

I don't want to buy into them myself but I've mentioned in our community here that it's certainly interesting to watch.

I don't think it's got much to do with money as much as it is a type of revolution STARTING with a "new" money.

Personally I'd rather plant a few seeds than buy any kind of currency or precious metal but I wonder if it could be the start of what so many have been waiting for for so long now.

Yes - it's a fiat currency - but it may not be "their" fiat currency.

Hell; two Israeli scientists even think they've discovered a link between Satoshi (the mysterious creator of Bitcoins) and Dread Pirate Roberts from Silk Road and the Feds are doing some serious hunting (WHY?).

bits.blogs.nytimes.com...

What are we watching exactly - could it be something really really big (and, again, not necessarily about money)?
edit on 24-11-2013 by Floydshayvious because: boop

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Floydshayvious

I agree with you. Something intriguing about all of this and I think many many young people are going to interpret BTC as means to buck the system. Not only that, but Kenya and China are major players. Entire countries in Africa don't have a central banking system and China is mining the crap out of these things so they can insert themselves into Africa. Many things are going on here. The revolution is happening before our eyes and BTC is leading the way. Now's everyone's chance to get rich and have the ability to control our own currency the way the people want it.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Yeah right there.

I mean... the get rich quick allure always makes me a little nervous (I personally think that's a huge pitfall into the same pit we're trying to get out of lol) but the big guys like Virgin trying to get into this is an eye opener. And the university in Cyprus (of course) the other day calling them the "gold of the future" accepting them for tuition payments - wow.

These big guys have so many more contacts that normal people like me - they know what's coming down the road because of those connections.

It really makes you tune in and seriously wonder about what's goin on here.

It's either the biggest bubble with the most glitter I've ever seen or something else entirely.

Thanks.

Oh and good post OP!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Well, here's an interesting map in real time showing just how much the world is buying.
fiatleak.com...

I don't fall for get rich quick schemes either and I'm hardly a pro when it comes to currency and trends but this is different. It seems almost supernatural.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

That's pretty radical. Thanks!

Sure does seem that way.

I wonder if the guys making serious money even over and above buying into the new currency are the ones making mining hardware and selling that haha.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

it sure isn't user friendly though lol. Confusing as ..well. BTC on the world market just hit 1054 and climbing yet bitstamp or Mt. GOX isn't showing any growth, still stuck around 800. Too bad there wasn't a crash course I could take somewhere.

markets.blockchain.info...
edit on 24-11-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

That web page is very hypnotic , thanks.

It sure seems China is sucking up the BTC at the moment.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

PhoenixOD

The virtual currency Bitcoin can be used to purchase pizza and to make apartment rentals – and now it can be used to buy tickets to space. Virgin Galactic, the space-flight branch of Richard Branson’s empire, announced on Friday that it will accept payments made by Bitcoin.

“All of our future astronauts are pioneers in their own right, and this is one more way to be forward-thinking,” Branson said, in a blogpost for the company. He said a female flight attendant from Hawaii purchased a Virgin Galactic ticket using bitcoin on Friday.

Its been an a amazing year for bit coin and every day it looks like its getting better and better. The current price is about 12 times what it was at the start of April this year. The was much talk that Bitcoin would crash after the fall of the online drug site Silkroad but in reality the exact oposit happened and the price skyrocketed.

This site lists 1500 places that accept bitcoin

Bitcoin’s value benefited in recent weeks from growing support from investors, including China, who believe the decentralized currency could hold long-term promise as an alternative form of payment.

“I have invested in some bitcoins myself and find it fascinating how a whole new global currency has been created,” Branson said. “For people who can afford to invest a little in bitcoins, it’s worth looking into.”

Ive heard lots of people on ATS say Bitcoins are not worth anything, this clearly is not the case when you can buy so many things with them. Its never going to replace normal fiat currency just as credit cards have not fully replaced paper cash. But with more and more important people like Richard Branson backing the use of the virtual currency its only a matter of time before Bitcoin is fully accepted as part of the existing financial market.

I predicted before that BITCOIN is the new Cosmic currency. Virgin Galactic's acceptance of it now further strengthens that prediction.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I bought 10 at around $100 each and sold them for $200 each a couple of weeks ago.
My plan was to buy them back again at a cheaper price and with the left over profit buy some more,sell when high and buy more and more as the price drops.But they have gone out of my reach and my plan.
I would like them to nosedive too as they did once before....lets see.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by southbeach

I suppose you could do what I'm doing. Buy one and hope for a wave of global insanity that inflates the price beyond its worth to the point of absolute ridiculousness. Then run.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I was chancing with cloudhashing.com as they bitcoin mine and you get monthly payouts but they messed my order up and i am awaiting a refund.
I found that having an outside entity mine for you was a cheaper way of getting bit coins,i'll get my refund and then try again.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Im into bitcoins to, however...

i have a feeling there is something we have yet to see and how they came into existance is weird...

they are a math based economy, just very..... i dont know.... what group of people worship math?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join