It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Modernization of Chinese Military Power

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The K-77M. It's an AESA upgrade to the R-77, which is a nasty missile already.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Heard of the R-77M?

The Vympel R-77M-PD RVV-AE-PD (Povyshlenayya Dal'nost') ramjet Adder is credited with an A-pole range of around 80 nautical miles. This missile is a direct derivative of the R-77 series, but like the MBDA Meteor for the Eurofighter Typhoon, employs ramjet propulsion to extend its burn duration and range. It will provide much higher endgame G capability than the baseline R-77 airframe.

www.ausairpower.net...

Looks very deadly. Stick the K-77 head on this and it would be even worse.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JimTSpock

That's why everyone freaked out when it was announced.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by JimTSpock

That's why everyone freaked out when it was announced.

--
But not enough to warrant counter measures, the way ATS looks, its belly up for us here in the US.
If people really want a censored state like China or Mafia state like Russia, then they can have it.
Let them have a crack at it, it won't be long till the sheer numbers of hypocrites on ATS begin criticizing them.
My gut wants to lash out against anti-american's who love to spout new enemy tech just so that we can react, but I don't need to hear that, I'm Active duty military, 1 combat tour, 1 humanitarian tour, I speak from experience, not Wiki or news.
Maybe we have been at it too long, its time to take a rest, but what people here on ATS do not understand or fail to realize is that rest can cost us big time.
Truth is, I blame all the politics on this mess and lobbying.
Perhaps we need a kick in our rears to realize full threats, it won't be my rear though.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

And how long do you think it takes to develop a counter? This isn't Hollywood. The K-77 was announced three months ago. It's not like they have counters to every even remotely possible weapon sitting on a shelf somewhere.

As for the rest of your rant, since when is pointing out a potential threat "unAmerican"? Other countries are capable of coming up with weapons too.
edit on 3/6/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I don't think it's belly up for the US at all. Why anyone would say or think that I don't know. I've said I think any military threat to America from China or Russia is highly unlikely.
Don't worry the American F-22 is still the king of the sky. I agree some people on here get a bit hysterical saying China or Russia will attack or invade but it's just not reality. Calling Zaphod unamerican is way out of line and off the mark I think. The Russians have a new missile which is very good how is saying so somehow anti-america? America has to be number one at everything do they?
edit on 6-3-2014 by JimTSpock because: spelling

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Zaphod58

And how long do you think it takes to develop a counter? This isn't Hollywood. The K-77 was announced three months ago. It's not like they have counters to every even remotely possible weapon sitting on a shelf somewhere.

--
I never said it was hollywood, nor did I say we HAVE counter measures.
What I did say was, "Not enough to warrant a countermeasure", Meaning with all these budget cuts, is it really at the top of the list? or on the cutting board?
We make due with what we got, the Air force isn't the only branch we have either, FYI.
The Army has had cuts too and a lot of their budget foes to equipping existing platforms with upgrades, which lead to new issues like Power Gen, same guy, different coat.
The Army's biggest issue is more tech at a lower price with a smaller force. Some units are still using M16A1s still, I get surprised looks when I have an M4 and I'm not even Infantry.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

JimTSpock

I don't think it's belly up for the US at all. Why anyone would say or think that I don't know. I've said I think any military threat to America from China or Russia is highly unlikely.
Don't worry the American F-22 is still the king of the sky. I agree some people on here get a bit hysterical saying China or Russia will attack or invade but it's just not reality. Calling Zaphod unamerican is way out of line and off the mark I think. The Russians have a new missile which is very good how is saying so somehow anti-america? America has to be number one at everything do they?
edit on 6-3-2014 by JimTSpock because: spelling

--
I Agree and Disagree.
I agree with your whole post.
I disagree with calling Zaphod "Un-American", Where did you get that from?
My response was for the Anti-American crowd here on ATS and you know its a VERY LARGE CROWD.
But people are quick to denounce US Strategy and technology on a dime, an for what? for China? for Russia?
I agree that budget cuts is a huge mistake to our military, our own military leaders say it.
All these new and emerging threats from foreign nations and people think they WONT do anything.
I beg to differ. Perhaps your right, Maybe they won't have that attitude of lets strike US together, I know, I think the same way, but lately........

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

No they aren't the only service, just the one I know like the back of my hand.

I have heard the full threat report on this weapon and no way is a counter being cut from any budget.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Zaphod58

No they aren't the only service, just the one I know like the back of my hand.

I have heard the full threat report on this weapon and no way is a counter being cut from any budget.

--
And that's what I was getting at. I have to be back to BN at 1300, but I had to wait for this response.
My whole issue is the cuts. What gets cut and what doesn't.
My other issue is the Anti-US crowd loves to hear about awesome new weaponry capable of taking out US Cities, I know Ill be a hypocrite to say I wouldn't think the same about our US capabilities and I wouldn't ask you to take sides since your a moderator, you remain neutral of the issue, This is your forum after all, better you who knows his stuff then some, "Omzz!! ChInA sOooo gonAa Beatz US!!!" With no insight on the matter, BUT, that's for another thread.
--
Truth is, I wonder how long before Chinese Military Expansion grows to our levels?
AND,
Can they maintain it? finances is one part, Resources is another like oil.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The MiG-41 is to be capable of reaching speeds above Mach 4, even Mach 4,3. That would make the plane faster than the (now retired) American SR-71 Blackbird. Currently, the Foxhound is capable of flying at speeds of Mach 2.8.

It will be interesting how the proposed MIG-41 will shed heat if it actually is capable of intended speeds ? Also have to wonder how long it would be before the Chinese would also have a wing or two of the aircraft ? Mach 4 is hauling butt. The SR-71 when fired upon just added throttle and out ran the best the Soviets had at that time.

Everything I have read says both China and Russia's window of parity based on published and know developments will occur sometime around 2020... At that time maybe we will dust off some of our really cool deadly tec....if it exist..... which no doubt we have some stuff hidden from prying eyes.... How good remains to be seen.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Russian engine tech is still years behind but improving thanks to a cooperative agreement with Pratt & Whitney.

There are a couple of things in the black world that will counter the MiG-41. It will be a big threat to our high value targets such as tankers and AWACS, as well as legacy aircraft.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Is that cooperative agreement still in effect? I would think there would be some resistance from TPTB to any deal that gave an adversarial pear state tech to advance their own war machines.
I imagine China and the J-20 will also benefit immensely from that agreement as well, since Russia is there primary source of engine tech.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

The PW1000G geared turbofan has been selected for the Irkut MS-21 program.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join